No announcement yet.

The saturday night special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it's black! Making a little more progress. back to the shop to hide for a few days. Then start with a little more work. Here's a couple of shots before I get it out of the booth. I'll post some better one's once it's untaped and in outside light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153 (1).JPG
Views:	473
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1807281Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG
Views:	452
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1807282

Comment

Name:	IMG_0160.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1807377Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1807378
      Back home, and inside !! While I am working on a few items to prime and paint : front air scoop, gas door, vent scoops, and rear valance, I am going to let it set and give the paint a few weeks to harden. Then decide if I wanna cut and buff. Maybe so, maybe not ! I have to order a headliner at this point, as well as wind lace. This gives me a little breather, to do some fall birdwatching. I'll post progress as it goes.

Comment

It looks beautiful Tex!! Keep the pic's coming, Bill

Comment

Man that thing looks slick Tex. Can't wait to see the pics as you start to put the chrome back on.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Took a day or two off to try and get some painting done before bad weather. Got some sanding and painting, as well as some getting other items ready to bolt on. Got lower air scoop , the vent doors, the gas door and rear valance painted, and the grill shells trimmed out with argent. Trying to get all the painting done so I can work inside on assembly during these nasty days.

Comment

Car looks awesome! Really coming together nice.

Comment

Can't wait to see it all back together again...looks great. Brings back memories of when my car was black when I was a kid. I think my Dad said he sprayed it with a Kirby vacuum cleaner...anybody hear of doing that before...or was he just pulling my leg? Excited for you to get this back on the road Tex...bet you can't wait! Cheers, junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                    Can't wait to see it all back together again...looks great. Brings back memories of when my car was black when I was a kid. I think my Dad said he sprayed it with a Kirby vacuum cleaner...anybody hear of doing that before...or was he just pulling my leg? Excited for you to get this back on the road Tex...bet you can't wait! Cheers, junior
                    I have heard of the Kirby vacuum cleaner attachment for painting, so it is possible. Lots of people experimented with cheaper ways to do things at home.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks Guys, for the kind words. Yes, Junior, I am starting to get excited to get it back on the road. I have heard of the Kirby paint job. I'll go one better, LOL. A cousin and myself, with the help of a neighbor, painted a car back in the day, with Black Flagg fly sprayers. Reason for three of us? To keep the paint wet. Didn't turn out to well.
                      Here's a little progress report on the 53. I got the rear valance on. The tail lights together, and waited for the trim rubber to get in the mailbox. Got the lights on and tested. Checking to see if I wanna reuse the 55 lower panel, or not. Whatcha think ? Now on to the rear bumper . Got all the right pieces together. Have to clean and paint the arms and assemble, then bolt on.

Name:	IMG_0260.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1811168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0258.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1811169

Comment

Tex, I like the rear lower panel installed. To me it just ties the back end together. It sure is a pretty car and should be a blast to drive. Keep plugging away! Bill

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	99.1 KB ID:	1815483 Rear bumper is on and aligned. I am going to put the 55 rear panel back on. Been busy at work and progress is slow. No nice days off much now. Anyway , here's a little progress. still have problems on photos , Please bear with me
                          Last edited by Flashback; 01-01-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
                            Tex, I like the rear lower panel installed. To me it just ties the back end together. It sure is a pretty car and should be a blast to drive. Keep plugging away! Bill
                            Thanks !! for the kind words. I am taking your advice on the lower panel. Course I agree with you anyway

Comment

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1815962 Finished all i can on the rear for now, I have to make ready and paint the lower panel.(I am using a 55 panel ). No decent weather to work, especially to paint anything. I have moved to the front and have the headlight assemblies in. Have the grill shells in and they look good!! (Thanks to Jerry Forrester,s chrome plating.) I had to get up more bumper arms and now I have the bumper on and almost aligned Jerry did a nice job on plating the bumper also. I'll move to the grill bars and gettin all the brackets and bolts ready, maybe this week. I have a NOS set of grill bars. I'll post pictures of this later. Here's to a little progress

Comment

nice...smooth and clean '53 front end...doesn't get much better than this! I wasn't alive when the 53's were released so I can only imagine the excitement Stude created when this design was made public. Keep on working on this Tex and you'll be on the road before you know it. cheers, junior
                                sigpic
                                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                                X