1957 studebaker commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 studebaker commander

Hello everyone My name is James, very interesting to be able to join you all with my studebaker. I have a lot off plans for my old car and I’m currently in the market for buying parts for it if anyone could help. I went to the studebaker museum one weekend about three week ago and at the end of the tour i decided i needed a studebaker.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Studebakers and the SDC Forum!
    I suggest joining the Studebaker Drivers Club. You can do it from this site. The March 2019 issue of their publication is a vendor issue. You will find that there are many vendors of new, used and repro parts. There are a few very large vendors and a mutitude of small vendors.
    If you now need some particular parts, there is a parts wanted section on this Forum that you can now use.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here is the link to the vendors

http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Comment

Yes i am a member of the drivers club i received it in the mail yesterday. Thanks for the parts list I’ll have a good time researching through out them all. Now off to search down a pair of tail lights.

Comment

No pictures = doesn't exist! Kinda...
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Best of luck to you as you Command America's roadways with ease and get curious stares from everyone you meet! I like S-P sedans for the most part, and your Commander is no exception. As Noxnabaker said, please post some pictures so we can get a better idea of what we are dealing with.
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I added a photos on my profile i yet to understand how to post a photo here.

Comment

Here is one of MyCommanderWay's pics:

You made a good choice, a '57 Commander will be a nice car to drive.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8CB4F752-65D7-4413-B94B-C0E7F0299A75.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1725600Click image for larger version

Name:	6A1D2C46-370C-4DEE-9627-043EBFA8CBFF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1725601Mine is available at $12,500.

Comment

Where can I purchase rear brake hubs for the commander. My fronts are in good shape but the rear hubs are snug tight and the person removing them may possibly ruin them trying to remove them. I search every where i know but i can’t find them for sell. Rock auto as most of the parts needed but no Hubs. What should i do?

Comment

Originally posted by MyCommanderWay View Post
                      Where can I purchase rear brake hubs for the commander. My fronts are in good shape but the rear hubs are snug tight and the person removing them may possibly ruin them trying to remove them. I search every where i know but i can’t find them for sell. Rock auto as most of the parts needed but no Hubs. What should i do?
                      They should be more than "snug tight". It takes the proper tool and proper application of it for removal without damage. You need a good size/substantial hub puller (NOT drum puller).
                      In my more than half of a Century working on them, I have never destroyed a hub by removing it.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The hub puller will look like this. They might also be available on Rockauto as well.

Comment

I had to use one of those on mine, it also took a bit of heat and an air hammer to pop the drum loose... The air hammer was lightly applied to the bolt after tension was put on the hub to try and vibrate it loose. I thought for sure I would break something. I was fine applying heat as I was replacing everything with any rubber on it.

Comment

Studebakerparts.com has a puller available, you can even rent it with a deposit. Not like the one above but looks like it should work.

https://www.studebakerparts.com/stud...age=tools.html

Comment

The factory tool for removing hubs is different than either of those posted (12 & 14). I have used the Studebaker tool, but prefer and have mostly used ones like in post 12. Sometimes, besides tightening and hitting with a good sized hammer, waiting for hours helps.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X