'51 rear fender spears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 rear fender spears

I know there are a lot of different opinions on fender spears, whether they're gaudy and over the top or whether they add to the aircraft look of a bulletnose. I'm honestly not sure which way I lean on them, but I've been told the spears also exist for rear fenders and I've never seen those. Does anyone have them on a '51 who could post a couple of pictures of them? I'd just like to see what they look like. Are they the same as the front fender spears or a completely different shape? Thanks.

Totally different shape. I have a picture handy, I will look for it. Not a real good pix but one off the internet.

Mark

Comment

Hey Bullet, hope you can find the pictures of the rear fender spears. I've been looking for a photo of one on any '49 to '52 model and haven't had any luck. You said the rear spears were totally different than the fronts on the '51. Do you recall if they were about the same length as the fronts or were they longer? And do you (or anyone) know if they were different each year like the front spears. Or because they appear to have been a very low selling item, did they offer the same one for several years. Just curious, but getting more curious.

Comment

Rear spears were only available on the ‘52 models. But they could just as easily be installed on a ‘51.

Comment

I can’t find the picture. I am 99% sure the picture I saw was here on the forum. Ithey were on a 1952 as Matt says, but now I can’t find the picture or the link to the posting. I just did another forum search and found the thread. It is for a 1952 Champion hardtop for sale on eBay.

Mark
          Last edited by Bullet; 11-19-2018, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I recently bought an NOS pair of the rear spears for a '52. They are shaped just like the '51 front spears--same rounded, knobby bump at the front, tapering to a point at the rear--but they're about 40-50% longer than the fronts for that long rear fender. And I'm assuming they are installed with the bump to the rear. I'd be interested to know how far forward of the seam (where the taillights bolt on) is the bumpy end of the spear supposed to be. I'm told that the front spears are three inches back from the seam where the headlight rims bolt on, but I have a feeling the rear spears are farther forward of the taillight than that. If anyone knows, I'd like to know the distance. At least then I could set them in the right place on the fenders and take a photo. Thanks.

Comment

I also got ahold of some rear spears, last spring. Here is the thread on installing them, with pictures.
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Sprouting-fins

They came with a paper template for correct installation. When I was done I mailed those of to the SDC template keeper.
              Whose name currently escapes me.

Comment

Since I have a pair of the '52 rear spears, I'd love to have a copy of the template to keep with them in case I decide to use them. Can someone tell me who to contact about the template. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X