Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    New shoes!

Looking great Matt. Remember a Texas SDC member who had a Maui blue 51 LC that was automatic - he used to always laugh at the speed limit because he stated the LC loved to run between 70 and 75... What do you use to clean your white walls?

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
      ... the LC loved to run between 70 and 75.
      If you push the pedal, that transmission will run the car up to 72 mph before it even shifts to third! These Commanders will effortlessly cruise well beyond 75 mph. Not that I'm inclined to do that all the time anymore.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This one looks like an OVERDRIVE Car! A HUGE PLUS! Good score Matt.

All it needs to complete "the Loaded LOOK" is Fog Lights. Never mind the Fender Skirts.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Love the car, Matt. I sure have enjoyed mine. For those only familiar with the Champions, the Land Cruisers (and Commanders) are a whole 'nuther experience!

Hey, Matt...could you get some close-up pics of those window vent shades and send them to me? I have a set for my business coupe but no instructions. I need to see a closeup of where they are mounted and the position of the screws. I spent too many years and effort to restore my car and can't bring myself to drill any holes until I'm sure of exactly how they are to be installed.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            This one looks like an OVERDRIVE Car! A HUGE PLUS! Good score Matt.

All it needs to complete "the Loaded LOOK" is Fog Lights. Never mind the Fender Skirts.
            Looks like overdrive to me too. I agree about the skirts. I think that red hood release cable looks too new, but I bet Matt can take care of that if it bothers him.
            Attached Files
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

John, I’ll get some pics of the vent shades later today.

Yea, it has overdrive. An automatic would’ve been enough for me to not buy it, I’ve had both and definitely prefer the OD.

‘51 hood release cables have been impossible to find for a long time. The one on this car was replaced with an NOS Lark cable a few years ago. I do have an NOS ‘52 cable that I think will be close enough to work, and has the correct looking handle.

Comment

This one will be a keeper.
                HaHaHa!
                Bill

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                  Hey, Matt...could you get some close-up pics of those window vent shades and send them to me? I have a set for my business coupe but no instructions. I need to see a closeup of where they are mounted and the position of the screws. I spent too many years and effort to restore my car and can't bring myself to drill any holes until I'm sure of exactly how they are to be installed.
                  Pretty straightforward, John.
                  Insert the ventshade between the stainless reveal molding and the stainless bead of the window channel. Roll the window all the way up to make certain the ventshade is snug, properly positioned and doesn't interfere with your wing vent. With the window up you should be able to drill the two holes through the existing ventshade holes and in to the stainless molding--not in to the door shell. And use stainless screws.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110521.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1721743 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110523.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1721744 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110525.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1721745 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110528.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1721746 Click image for larger version

Name:	P8110529.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1721747
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

As far as the vent shades go.. What Brad said.

I spent the early afternoon installing new valve stem seals. The car has a smoking habit so I figured it was overdue. I learned that the 232's have a single o-ring instead of an umbrella seal.. No wonder it was smoky. The later umbrella seals fit just fine so I'm confident this will take care of the problem. I'll head back out to the shop tomorrow to reinstall the rocker assemblies and adjust the valves.

The shop manual lists the valve clearance at .16-.18. I'm guessing that changed when the factory improved the camshaft.

Comment

Thanks, Brad & Matt. In another thread last year, I tried to get some help on this and the few replies I got mostly suggested glue and tape like is used on the modern plastic shades. After that, I gave up. But you guys have given me the motivation to take another look. The brand of ventshades I have is Kromevent. In the box, there is a tiny envelope with what looks to be brass screws. I think I'll see if I can match them up with some stainless screws.

An even more daunting task I have is to install a spotlight. Once again, requiring holes to be drilled in my car. I even have the template but am still hesitant to use a punch & drill. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm sometimes surprised at myself when finding some long sought after accessory, and then becoming so apprehensive about what I have to do to my car to install it.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                        As far as the vent shades go.. What Brad said.

I spent the early afternoon installing new valve stem seals. The car has a smoking habit so I figured it was overdue. I learned that the 232's have a single o-ring instead of an umbrella seal.. No wonder it was smoky. The later umbrella seals fit just fine so I'm confident this will take care of the problem. I'll head back out to the shop tomorrow to reinstall the rocker assemblies and adjust the valves.

The shop manual lists the valve clearance at .16-.18. I'm guessing that changed when the factory improved the camshaft.

I've seen these tags on 51/52 232's, and I agree they came about after early camshaft failures. I do love those 232s; they are high revving and fast!

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          The brand of ventshades I have is Kromevent. In the box, there is a tiny envelope with what looks to be brass screws. I think I'll see if I can match them up with some stainless screws.
                          John,
                          Brass screws will be fine. Most ventshade kits have been opened, closed and passed around so much that the screws have been lost. Just don't use steel screws, as you know they will rust and stain your "stainless." Brass is fine.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            John,
                            Brass screws will be fine. Most ventshade kits have been opened, closed and passed around so much that the screws have been lost. Just don't use steel screws, as you know they will rust and stain your "stainless." Brass is fine.
                            Yeah, thanks, Brad. Your biggest help was showing closeup pics of exactly where these things are attached. I was thinking they were supposed to be screwed into the door itself, but couldn't figure out how that would work. Last night, after dark, I went out and checked it out (the temperature fell below 90, but the humidity was still oppressive.) When the vents are placed properly, everything fits great. Before seeing your pics, I was trying to hold them just inside the upper part of the window frame. Of course, they won't fit there because the angle is just not right. I'm glad I waited to be sure because if I had just "winged it," I would have really messed up. Thanks.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Got the rocker covers back on and fired it up. The ‘51 has officially given up its smoking habit. It’s nice when what could be a major problem ends up being an easy fix.

Took the car for a drive for the first time. It runs and drives great and the AC blows ice cold. What’s not to love?
                              Last edited by mbstude; 08-12-2018, 01:15 PM.

Comment

That is a really pretty Car, love the Color. anyways Matt how many can say They have a 51 Studebaker with AC
                                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                                X