No announcement yet.

'51 Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Land Cruiser is a Commander. The extra length is in the rear doors. The Land Cruiser has vent windows in the rear and the regular Commander 4 door does not. I don't know about 50 models, but on 51-52 models the rear sway bar was only on the Land Cruiser. I suppose the dealer could have installed one on another model.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 52-fan; 04-27-2019, 01:17 PM.
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

• The Low Level Line Commander Body Type was the W3 Deluxe, there should not be Windshield surround Stainless Mouldings.

The Top Of the Commander 4 Door Line was the W5 "Regal Deluxe".

The 1947 to 1950 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog says that in those years, ONLY '49 = (16A) Land Cruisers (Body Type 'Y") and Convertibles (Body Type 'S") and ALL 1950 Commanders = [17A] (and Land Cruisers) had the 525103 "Rear Stabilizer Shaft".
      Last edited by StudeRich; 05-02-2019, 02:57 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

• Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The Low Level Line Commander Body Type was the W3 Deluxe, there should not be Windshield surround Stainless Mouldings.

The Top Of the Commander 4 Door Line was the W5 "Regal Deluxe".

The 1947 to 1950 Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog says that in those years, ONLY '49 = (16A) Land Cruisers (Body Type 'Y") and Convertibles (Body Type 'S") and ALL 1950 Commanders = [17A] (and Land Cruisers) had the 525103 "Rear Stabilizer Shaft".
        Yes. Thanks Rich. This discussion got confused by mixing in 1950 models with 1951 models. They both have "bullet noses" but are quite different from a chassis perspective.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

• '51 Commanders with overdrive, such as this car, were all equipped with a 4.55 rear axle ratio. The same car with a standard 3 speed transmission (or automatic) would've had a 4.09 ratio.

Wanting to be able to go further than 4 feet before having to shift into second, I decided to change the ratio to a 4.09. Lower RPMs while cruising at 80 didn't seem like a bad thing, either. I couldn't find a complete rear axle assembly with that gear set, but Bob Munter at WCD Garage in Mass. offered to do the work if I could come up with a ring and pinion. The parts weren't a problem, but the logistics were.

Dave Thibeault bought Stephen's '63 Wagonaire. The car was scheduled to be picked up here in April and be delivered to Bob's, so Dave suggested that I put the rear axle assembly in the back of the wagon, Bob would rebuild it when it got there, and Dave would deliver it to me in South Bend at the May swap meet.

So that's what we did. I pulled the rear end out of a '51 Commander parts car and stuffed it into the back of the Wagonaire, along with every new part I could throw at it. Bob installed the new 4.09 gears and rebuilt the entire assembly, and Dave transported it to South Bend where I picked it up. A big thanks to both of those guys.. It's stuff like this that makes this hobby so much fun.

I spent this morning putting the brakes together and bending new metal lines, and a pair of NOS drums and hubs will finish it off once it's installed. Ready to go!

Last edited by mbstude; 05-19-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• N-I-C-E. Yep, the 4.55 is a tad low, even with O.D. 4.09 will be better. I may, later, change my 3:42, which is a tad high, to a 4:10. I think that is a near perfect ratio with O.D.

Comment

• Pulled the car into the shop this evening and started drilling a bunch of holes. Stephen installed a back-up light kit on his '50 Champion today. I guess I felt inspired.

I feel like the instruction sheet needs to be framed and hung on a wall. Crazy to think about how much artistic design went into something so techincal.

Last edited by mbstude; 05-21-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• That would be nice framed and hung somewhere. Just keep that old paper out of harsh light.
                I like to scan old instruction sheets and save them to my computer.
                sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

• Interesting, in that many cars of the era ended up with a dealer installed "single" backup light. That's the way my '51 Land Cruiser is. Somewhere, I have a couple of spare lights I picked up at swap meets and have never gotten around to installing. If I manage to find where I have them stored, I might find the time to install one on the other side.
                  However, I'll need to locate my motivation too.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

• Oddly enough, I'm installing backup lights on my 51 Land Cruiser today. I got the holes drilled and the lights mounted. I just have to roll it outside in the good sunlight and see how far I get hooking up the wires.

BTW, is there a source for the rubber gaskets for the housing to the car or to the lens to the bezel?
                    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

• Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      Pulled the car into the shop this evening and started drilling a bunch of holes. Stephen installed a back-up light kit on his '50 Champion today. I guess I felt inspired.
                      I think you will be pleased with reversing in the dark. These sort of fresnel lenses provide marvelous illumination.
                      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

• I got everything done except for the final connection up front. Which wire is supposed the be the black and oak one? Is it the one with the inline fuse?
                        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

• Your car is pretty awesome anyway. And it's redder than mine! :3

Comment

• Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                            I spent this morning putting the brakes together and bending new metal lines, and a pair of NOS drums and hubs will finish it off once it's installed. Ready to go!

Can you give some detail about what you used for your metal brake lines?

Hope the seat belts are anchored well - you might pull the bolts through the floor if you slam on the binders...

Comment

• Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                              Can you give some detail about what you used for your metal brake lines?
                              Nothing out of the ordinary; NiCopp brake line that I bent and flared. Doesn’t corrode and it’s easier to work with than steel line.

I finished up the back-up light install.

A couple of months ago, I sent the radio off to RadioRoy so he could work his magic on it. It came back in a more than reasonable amount of time and I finally had a chance to install it. Since a rebuilt radio that only plays AM would be pointless, Roy converted it to AM/FM and installed a jack for an electronic device. I have a bluetooth adapter that I use in my Silverado so that I can utilize internet radio from my iphone. It works just as well with this setup.

I have to point out that air conditioning and a decent radio can be had in an old 6 volt Studebaker if you really want it bad enough.

Roy knocked it out of the park.

Last edited by mbstude; 05-30-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• I'm glad Roy put a decent speaker in it. Are you planning another speaker for stereo or just planning to listen to one channel off the cellphone?

Good work - Bob
                                , ,

Comment

Working...
                                X