Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The shop manual lists the valve clearance at .016-.018

Comment

• I don't know if I heard it or read it,, ??,, but I have see it somewhere that the 51's had a factory problem with premature cam failure, and the factory offed a kit to warranty it? Including cam lifters and gasket kit,,as well as these tags.

Comment

• One of my Dad's favorite stories is of the cam failure of my grandfather's '51 LC (Maui Blue) while on family vacation to the Wisconsin Dells from Ohio.

All was fine until the return trip. The car began losing "pull" on hills and passing. Eventually top speed reduced to 40 mph, let alone his preferred rate of 65-70 mph. At that point they knew there was a serious issue.

They added three days to their trip. Far from a Studebaker dealership, the local garage was well aware of the cam issue. He received the parts from Studebaker and made the repair. Studebaker also reimbursed my grandfather for the additional lodging and a meal allowance for the time they were held up.

He never drove anything but Studebakers after that.

Matt, I'm still looking for my '96 Long Beach photos...will let you know if I see your LC.
        Andy
        62 GT

Comment

• Is the AC evaporator the type that was installed in late 60s Studebakers? It looks like the one in my 1964 T cab 1/2 ton pickup.

Ron Acton

Comment

• Originally posted by ronta View Post
            Is the AC evaporator the type that was installed in late 60s Studebakers? It looks like the one in my 1964 T cab 1/2 ton pickup.

Ron Acton
            Ron, I honestly don’t know what year or model the evaporator was originally mounted in.

I was planning to drive the Land Cruiser to the national meet in Ohio, which is why I went ahead and did the engine reseal; I wanted everything “done”. And it’s now a reliable Studebaker than can comfortably be driven anywhere. However.. I’ve since decided to pick up a yellow Lab from a friend’s family in Kentucky, so I'll be driving the Silverado instead.
            Last edited by mbstude; 08-24-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

• Another pooch Matt? You need a girlfriend! Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
                Another pooch Matt? You need a girlfriend! Bill
                You're giving bad advice Bill. Stop it. LOL.
                Jerry Forrester
                Forrester's Chrome
                Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

• Originally posted by Colgate Studebaker View Post
                  Another pooch Matt? You need a girlfriend! Bill
                  Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                  You're giving bad advice Bill. Stop it. LOL.
                  It's been my experience that old cars and dogs are a whole lot easier on the wallet, and less likely to cause a headache. Besides.. Heidi, the schnauzer, is going on 12 years old and I think she might enjoy having a puppy to boss around in her old age.

Bought a Fog Light kit a few months back and finally got around to putting that on.

Pulled the car out and took it for a drive this afternoon. It took a lot of time (and money) over the last year, but there's something to be said for having a Stude that you can hop in and go without worry.

Last edited by mbstude; 08-25-2019, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• Good on ya Matt. Thanks for the posts keeping us in your loop with your lovely example. Pics of the new pup please.
                    Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                      Good on ya Matt. Thanks for the posts keeping us in your loop with your lovely example. Pics of the new pup please.
                      Bill
                      Thanks Bill. I wish more folks here would share what they're doing with their cars.

I received this one today. He just hit the 2 month mark.

Comment

• I see another situation like the one Jeff Rice has with the pooches he's got! He's a good looking pup, may you spoil him rotten and make Heidi mad at you. Bill

Comment

• Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          I'm glad Roy put a decent speaker in it. Are you planning another speaker for stereo or just planning to listen to one channel off the cellphone?

Good work - Bob
                          That's a new speaker that I just found recently. It sounds much better than the one I put in my own 50 Commander. I put this speaker in Matt's radio and also in a 52 radio for another customer. Now I will have to change the one on my own car.

Usually on single speaker radios, I put in the wiring for a second speaker that will allow stereo listening. On six volt positive ground, two speakers is the maximum one can expect and one speaker is more solid, especially when the car is idling.
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                          X