How do we compare???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we compare???

Now that we know for certain IDYSD 2012 has NOT been cancelled (thank goodness and thanks to all you who posted your IDYSD plans here). A question that remains is: How do we "meaningfully measure" the success of IDYSD 2012 vs. the 3 previous IDYSDTURNING WHEELS magazine graced over 22 pages (nearly 1/3 of the entire Dec. 2011 issue). Of course the number of TW pages devoted to coverage of any IDYSD event could be editorially controlled, therefore cannot be considered a good measurement. The number of posts on the IDYSD Forums, likewise would not be a valid indicator; nor the number of IDYSD T-shirt made-up/sold.

So are these yearly IDYSDTIA

Well- just as we did last year- my Chapter is measuring our event with a 'miles driven' board. As folks show up to register we'll be asking how far they drove. This will be totaled up at the end of the day.

Of course- we're only going to count StudeMiles!!!

This year- we've even got a long distance trophy to hand out.

As for it getting bigger or not- I think ours is growing.
    But our event is three days long- and tons of fun~
    • a Friday Night Cruise to a burger joint
    • a Saturday Open House at a Studebaker Museum
    • also Saturday- and this year only- a 40th Anniversary Party for our Club
    • a Sunday 'mixed make' car show

Join us- won't you?
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

While many chapters have an organized activity for the day, many of us will be unable to fit the activity in to our schedule. I will be driving at least one Studebaker that day; to work, to the mall, to my friend's body shop. I believe the event is for us all, not just those who can attend in group. I will measure it by how much I think others enjoy seeing the car in motion. Honks, thumbs up and waves. I think it's less about owning and more about sharing.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

The day happens to coincide with an informal "Studebaker Breakfast" a few of us attend a couple times a month, but other than that, I'm unaware of any specific club activities our chapter has planned.

That being said, I don't know if it's even important to try and measure metrics for IDYSD. The honest truth of the matter is that the day isn't necessarily so much about numbers, so much as getting the word (and the cars) out. People have a propensity towards stashing away valuables, whether it's gold coins or Studebakers. IDYSD day, at least to me, is about developing the mentality of sharing our hobby with the world. Unlike a coin collection or woodworking, our hobby is conveniently built on a chassis that's designed to hit the streets. IDYSD is a time to encourage the people who love Studebaker to (literally) put the rubber to the road and let others know about our favorite marque, and hopefully "join the club".

Obviously, one day isn't going to create a flood of new members. But what an event like this does do is interrupt the status quo. How many collectors have a flock of Studes locked away, never getting sunlight? Maybe, just maybe, if one of those folks actually opens the garage this Saturday to take their Champion for a drive, the interruption will remind them of the fun of driving. Maybe a car that has been hidden for years will become a Sunday driver, and by being out on the road will allow conversations to be started. You never know!
        '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Just so happens IDYSD coresponds with the monthly Cruise at th Advance Auto Parts Store in Appomattox VA so I'll drive about 10 miles into towan and enjoy the afternoon talking to car guys and thinking about the day.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

This will be the 1st year that I won't be driving a Studebaker .....but I will be in South Bend and at the museum so maybe that can count <g>
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Bob, We'll give you a pass if you can get them to allow you to sit in one of the cars in the museum. Maybe the Woody Wagon and you can ride around in it on the turn table.
              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
                Bob, We'll give you a pass if you can get them to allow you to sit in one of the cars in the museum. Maybe the Woody Wagon and you can ride around in it on the turn table.
                Bob usually goes around in circles anyway. All roads don't lead to Dunnville.
                While you are away Bob I could drop by and drive your truck for you.
                sigpic
                55 President Deluxe
                64 Commander
                66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Good idea Don .....but it looks like I'll hide my keys to my truck <g> Cliff doesn't shift very good !
                  sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Working...
                  X