Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
    Very interesting, I had never heard this before.<snip>
    Brent, IH was planning to "farm-out" production of their SCOUT II to AM General (formerly Kaiser-Jeep) in South Bend, but decided to pull the plug on SCOUT production altogether. Instead of building SCOUTs for IH in former Studebaker Plant # 8, AMERICAN MOTORS had AM General build their CJ-10 Jeep Trucks for their international markets.

Comment

IDYSD will be observed by traveling over to Apple Rehab in Old Saybrook with show proceeds to benefit breast cancer research. We were there last year and the residents really enjoy the cars present and reminiscing about their memories of cars. My favorite experience was at such a facility. A fellow in a wheel chair was pushed out and he couldn't even raise his head. I told him what car was in front of him and he said, "Start it up!",,,and I did and gave him a little vroom!
      Last edited by Bob Bryant; 09-07-2012, 01:32 PM.
      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

As long as there are Studebakers that run and owners with keys, IDYSD will never be canceled.
        There doesn't need to be a group to observe it or any planned activities.
        Put gas in the tank, key in the ignition, and pull out of the garage and you have observed the day.
        No chairman, logo, or t-shirt is required.
        Of course it is more fun with groups of owners and planned activities.
        But I will bet a lot of Studes just drove in place of modern cars yesterday, to wherever their owners were planning to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
          Brent, IH was planning to "farm-out" production of their SCOUT II to AM General (formerly Kaiser-Jeep) in South Bend, but decided to pull the plug on SCOUT production altogether. Instead of building SCOUTs for IH in former Studebaker Plant # 8, AMERICAN MOTORS had AM General build their CJ-10 Jeep Trucks for their international markets.
          I know for a fact that AMG built the CJ8 / Jeep Scrambler for international sale at Plant 8 in the early 1980's, along side / intermixed with their DJ5 mail jeeps..

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis L. Henry View Post
            I know for a fact that AMG built the CJ8 / Jeep Scrambler for international sale at Plant 8 in the early 1980's, along side / intermixed with their DJ5 mail jeeps..
            Good memory Dennis about the CJ-10 Jeep Truck built by AMG for AMC International Sales Corp. in former Studebaker Plant #8, but the CJ-8 Scrambler, RHD we did as part of a U.S.P.S. Postal contract was an entirely different situation!!!

There were only 150 or so CJ-8 Jeep Scrambler, RHD, all build at Jeep-Toledo then shipped to AM General in South Bend. In former Studebaker Plant #8, Don Van Winkle's (remember him?) crew in Repair Bay installed sorting trays, reflective belt-line U.S.P.S. decals, special data plates, T.P. decals, U.S.P.S specific "OPERATORS MANUAL"s, and U.S.P.S. "Eagle" decals on the doors. After being accepted by the GSA, all CJ-8 Jeep Scrambler, RHD, were shipped by the U.S.P.S. via rail from South Bend to Alaska.

Comment

Working...
            X