Official IDYSD Date Has Been Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official IDYSD Date Has Been Set

I just got off the phone with President Tom Curtis. The official date of International Drive Your Studebaker Day is, and always will be, the second Saturday of September.

Mark your calendars!
    Last edited by mbstude; 10-01-2011, 09:02 AM.

IN REFERENCE TO:

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    If someone would like to take charge of IDYSD and really make something out of it, contact me. I don't have the time to devote to making it into a really cool, big event. The potential is there, for sure.

Hey, didn't Chris Dresbach agree to "take charge" of IDYSD 2012 Thought he would be the person making the "official announcement."

What has changed ...and more importantly why???
    Last edited by Welcome; 10-01-2011, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I called Tom to clear the water. He made the decision about the date and asked me to spread the word. Simple as that. If Chris still wants to promote it (which was my original intent), then that's still cool with me as long as the higher-ups are okay with it.
      Last edited by mbstude; 10-01-2011, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks for starting this, Jon.(Sdude) Also, thanks, Matthew, for getting the answer. It's been included in our 2012 calendar.
        Perry
        \'50 Business Champion
        \'50 Starlight Champion
        \'60 Lark Convertible,
        \'63 GT R1,
        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Good News!
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Idysd 2012 +

Glad to see SDC has decided to keep it on the same day year after year. As was previously mentioned this will give it a better chance of becoming a long standing tradition in the Club.
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Yahoooo!!! Glad to see it in September and a set date, that makes for great planning all around. Thanks Matt for clarifying and Chris for taking it over. Glad we have some youngsters in our club who are not afraid of stepping up to the plate, we need you thanks again! Does that mean someone is working on a new logo? The earlier the better.
              Ricci D.

Los Angeles Chapter
              www.studebakersla.com

'51 Champion Starlight Coupe
              '56 President Pinehurst

Comment

I'm still ok with taking it over and promoting it. I only have one request: COULD SOMEBODY, let the SDC board know what's going on that I will be running it. Still not sure how to go about approaching the board...
                As for a logo, I still have several ideas. That is something I have wanted to work on myself for a long time.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                  Still not sure how to go about approaching the board...
                  The club's President is a member of your chapter..

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                    I'm still ok with taking it over and promoting it. I only have one request: COULD SOMEBODY, let the SDC board know what's going on that I will be running it. Still not sure how to go about approaching the board...
                    As for a logo, I still have several ideas. That is something I have wanted to work on myself for a long time.
                    Chris, great to hear you’ve not wavered one bit on taking the lead for IDYSD 2012 !!!

Of course "due diligence" always comes first, so if you have not done so as yet, first find out …IF …in fact IDYSD 2012 is an "Official SDC Event." No reason you cannot put that question to the B of D’s by listing all of them on your one email ...their email addresses are listed on page 74 of the Oct. TW. If you receive an affirming "YES,” then ask them to be appointed as [insert the title you desire or the one they give you here] for the 2012 IDYSD event.

Next step contact contact Jane Stinson, our SDC Treasurer, about obtaining whatever insurance coverage she advises for the "IDYSD 2012" event. You can contact her through this official link: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/meetinsurance.asp

Good Luck!!!
                    Last edited by Welcome; 10-03-2011, 02:43 AM.

Comment

I've read this post a few times now. Everytime I do- I get confussed when I read this~
                      Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                      Next step contact contact Jane Stinson, our SDC Treasurer, about obtaining whatever insurance coverage she advises for the "IDYSD 2012" event.
                      The folowing questions come to mind~
                      • if it's already an 'Official' SDC event- is it not already covered by our insurance?
                      • as such~ SDC Chapters are already covered by SDC's policy, are they not?
                      • Then again- why the need for SDC insurance? It's my car- and my responsibility

Could it be that I am looking to far into this?
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post

Could it be that I am looking to far into this?
                        Maybe!!!

An IDYSD, using the past 3 as the model, can never be an official stand alone Studebaker Drivers Club, Incorporated event!!! There are just too many obstacles, such as:

Where would the "official event" be held?

Who would host it?

How would each and every "event participant" be registered?

How could the SDC get indemnification papers (waivers) from each and every event participant driver and if any, passenger(s)?

Are the "event expenditures" for an "Official 2012 IDYSD" even a budgeted item?

Rich, if I don’t miss my guess, the best we all can hope is for a SDC Official to step forward and make a statement something to the affect;

"He/she/they encourage all Studebaker Owners everywhere to always keep their vehicles in good, safe operating condition and drive them as often as practicable, especially on September 8, 2012, International Drive Your Studebaker Day (IDYSD)."

Comment

This is really starting to be beyond silly.

Mr. Bella. I've been talking with Tom Curtis about IDYSD regularly over the phone. The past 3 years, I had little to no support or help with the event. Tom has changed that around completely. We're brainstorming about creating an official committee that can take the event and standardize it and make it into something consistent, successful, and able to be improved upon each year. Nothing has been set in stone, so no details will be published, anywhere, at this time. Once things are official, however, the information will be sent out to everyone in the SDC. (Dave, you bring up good points. It's questions like yours that we are working on answers for.) At this point, nothing more than a date has been officially set.

If you're genuinely this interested in wanting to make decisions for the event, please get with the club's President and see about becoming an active member of the proposed committee. Otherwise.. Please stop making posts like this on the forum. The last I heard, you had not been in contact with Tom about any of this, which is the only real, right way to go about making something happen. Tom, myself, and a select few others ARE trying to sort all of this out without throwing out unofficial, misleading comments on the forum.

I would prefer it if you would respond to me by email, which can be found in nearly any Turning Wheels from the past couple of years. This dead horse has been beaten enough.
                          Last edited by mbstude; 10-10-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                            This is really starting to be beyond silly.

Mr. Bella. I've been talking with Tom Curtis about IDYSD regularly over the phone. The past 3 years, I had little to no support or help with the event. Tom has changed that around completely. We're brainstorming about creating an official committee that can take the event and standardize it and make it into something consistent, successful, and able to be improved upon each year. Nothing has been set in stone, so no details will be published, anywhere, at this time. Once things are official, however, the information will be sent out to everyone in the SDC. (Dave, you bring up good points. It's questions like yours that we are working on answers for.) At this point, nothing more than a date has been officially set.

If you're genuinely this interested in wanting to make decisions for the event, please get with the club's President and see about becoming an active member of the proposed committee. Otherwise.. Please stop making posts like this on the forum. The last I heard, you had not been in contact with Tom about any of this, which is the only real, right way to go about making something happen. Tom, myself, and a select few others ARE trying to sort all of this out without throwing out unofficial, misleading comments on the forum.

I would prefer it if you would respond to me by email, which can be found in nearly any Turning Wheels from the past couple of years. This dead horse has been beaten enough.
                            I talked with Tom last Friday and it's basically what Matt said. An official, permenant date has been set, and a small committee (including myself) has/is being put together.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

SDC LIABILITY INSURANCE

As far as our insurance is concerned, Drive Your Studebaker Day is an SDC sponsored event and qualifies for our liability coverage. SDC events can be anything from a chapter meeting or parking lot gathering sponsored by an SDC chapter to Zone and IM meets. A certificate is not needed to establish coverage. The coverage already exists. The certificates are only needed to prove to the owner or landlord of a venue that there is coverage and in what amounts.

Keep in mind, however, that what we have is liability coverage. It is actually triggered by a claim of loss due to negligence on the part of one of our members. This is important because the coverage includes a legal defense. The primary purpose of the coverage is to protect all of our chapters in case of a law suit that claims negligence on our part. There is no collision coverage. That would be handled by your vehicle insurance policy.

I hope this clears things up a little. Insurance questions can be routed to me directly by emailing jestinson@aol.com

Jane Stinson
                              Club Treasurer

Comment

Working...
                              X