Mr.Biggs does IDYSD 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curt View Post
    Great, I do believe you have six gears, not just five. Iffin you get the first gear speed high enough there is a 'first over' also. I have a Kaiser friend who put his Kaiser into 'first over'. I think the overdrives are all Borg Warner units.
    Come on Curt, do you think Bob bought his Transtar yesterday? We all know that every Stude. ever built has a Borg Warner Transmissiion and the Overdrive is part of the Trans., with maybe the exception of the '50-'55 Studebaker Automatic which was built by Detroit Gear Division of Borg Warner.

All of us who have ever owned an Overdrive also know that you technically COULD use Overdrive 1st. because to shift to Overdrive in any gear, all you need to do is get the speed up to the Governor kick-in speed of about 28-30 MPH, but if you care about the Trans. you would never do that, or at least not more than once!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich I will probably talk to you at lenght about a goodly number of Studebaker questions. But, for now what insight or suggestions are you willing top share on the Automatic in Sandi's new 61 Hawk.
      Brian
      Brian Woods
      woodysrods@shaw.ca
      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

It is one of the best Automatics ever built, properly maintain it, use only Type "F" ATF and it will outlast the car. By that I mean it needs PROPER throttle pressure adjustment and band adjustment, that is key to it's long term survival.

Any Automatic with slipping clutch plates or bands will self destruct, no matter how good it is, contamination and heat are their biggest killers.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X