No announcement yet.

Today is the day to drive your Stude!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove the 56 today, wait, I drive it every day................

Loaded up the 56 PU at O' dark thirty, and off to Jefferson High School. 2 hours later, departed on school bus for our game at North Salinas High School. Came back to Jefferson victorious (32-25), jumped back in the Studebaker and drove home.
    George

Comment

Well, blast it all, I drove a Studebaker just about every day this past week except for Saturday. My wife is a bigger sports nut than lots of guys I know. So, yesterday is the day she picked to take our grandson to see his first college football game. I know that getting a Studebaker in traffic with 79,000 fans might be good exposure, but it had been such a long time since I had been to one of the games...I didn't want the added stress of dealing with the car in traffic and making sure that all went well for everyone else that had other things on their minds.

After reading some of the comments and other circumstances keeping folks from participating in the event...I would like for us to consider a "DRIVE YOUR STUDEBAKER WEEK." That would broaden the opportunity to get around bad weather and conflicting agendas.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I'm a day late reporting- just didn't have time last night to get the pix downloaded and manipulated.
        The Potomac Chapter planned an IDYSD outing to the AACA Car Museum near Hershey, PA. We met near Frederick, Maryland to caravan to Hershey. After brutal heat all week we almost got chilled in the breezy 60s, but it was beautifully clear. We left the meeting place with seven Studebakers then stopped at the first rest stop and picked up two more. Only casualty of the day- Murray Welch's '50 Champion wouldn't start- brand new 185 with finned head, dual carbs and dual exhausts. We started it the old fashioned way- two of us pushing him down a slight slope. About two hours and 90 miles from our meeting place we pulled in to the Museum where we were given primo parking right in front of the building. We gained three more vehicles there, one belonging to Forum member Don Jones who greatly helped with our visit. The second was a beautiful local '76 Avanti and the third was Keystone and Potomac Chapter members Tom and Nancy Pfahler's terrific M-5.
        The museum proved to be very Studebaker friendly setting the tone with a '55 Champion 4-door on display at the roadside in front of the museum. We all got stamped to gain our museum admission. We went to the second floor first thing to have our catered box lunches. We were seated at tables in the Rotunda where we could watch our cars just below us and overlook the picturesque Pennsylvania scenery. The museum had three perfect Studebakers on display, a '53 Commander Starliner and a '52 Commander convertible in a drive-in movie setting and a '63R-2 Avanti appropriately in the Muscle Car display. To quote Don Jones "...Yesterday was a great event and a fantastic way to show off our beloved Studebakers. The museum staff was overwhelmed with the vehicles and the comments from the visitors to the museum. All were not only appreciative but impressed that we would drive our vehicles on a tour of this nature. Of course, I believe that they do not understand the meaning of STUDEBAKER DRIVERS CLUB either..." We can verify that the cars out front did help the museum. A woman asked my wife if she was associated with the Studebakers out front. When my wife answered yes, the woman told her that they were just driving by and saw the cars. They turned in to see the cars then toured the museum too (two admissions that the museum wouldn't have had otherwise).
        This really is a great museum with something for everyone- buss es, model trains, car toys, two-wheelers, even Betty White's Cadillac complete with a cat in the back seat. I highly recommend taking the time to see it (near Harrisburg and Hershey, easy access).
        Some of us caravanned back uneventfully other than our Avanti continuing to rustproof the frame and seal the PA roads with the oil leaked (about a quart in 250 miles- next project).
        We were hurrying to get back so we could go in to Harpers Ferry to a Music in the Mountains concert featuring the U.S. Marine Corps Band country group- Free Country. If you ever have the opportunity to see these folks, jump on it even if you aren't in to country music. They are great entertainers. All in all, a wonderful day.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Part 2...

As I mentioned and my dad indicated, there was more to my IDYSD than my midnight ride. Our family got up early to drive two cars south (none Studes) to my parents' home. September 04, 2010 was a special day for our family and IDYSD was secondary: It was my parents' (Tom and Neila) 50th wedding anniversary. My brothers and their families drove up to Ohio from their respective homes (West Virginia and Alabama). Being a Stude nut, my dad was able to combine the two events. We drove his two Studebakers to the evening dinner. Even more special was the fact that my dad and mom drove to and from the dinner in his 53 C Commander - the very same car they left their wedding in back in 1960. It was a very special day for all of us.

Here are a couple of photos:

P.S. - thanks for the comment, Jeff!

--george

Comment

Drove both mine!
            edp/NC
            \'63 Avanti
            \'66 Commander

Comment

finally got the lark convert back home from the repair shop just last thursday (previously made famous this past spring as "$7k ragtop" thread listing by barnlark. I have already put about $8k into this car, of which a large portion was an engine rebuild that was not planned on. Yeah, not happy about that! Last but not least will be some body work to get that driver side fender dent out, and a paintjob, hopefully this winter.

Anyway, got out for a short drive on IDYSD, and today also. Heading to the North Star Chapter meet in Hugo, MN on Labor Day. Will post some more pix after the meet.
              Thx, eric

Before & after Pic:
              (I know it's not technically correct, but I like it)
              Attached Files

Comment

Had mine on the road 3 days

Drove it 25 miles to work Friday, worked 2 hrs ,left for a local cruise in for 3 hours and back to work for 2 more hours (1/2 days vacation), Than Saturday the wife and I took the truck and went to a steakhouse and had supper . Sunday afternoon went to a car show about 30 miles from home.
                Last edited by rodnutrandy; 09-06-2010, 02:44 PM. Reason: wrong wording
                Randy Wilkin
                1946 M5 Streetrod
                Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by ClaymoreWW View Post
                  Part 2...

As I mentioned and my dad indicated, there was more to my IDYSD than my midnight ride. Our family got up early to drive two cars south (none Studes) to my parents' home. September 04, 2010 was a special day for our family and IDYSD was secondary: It was my parents' (Tom and Neila) 50th wedding anniversary. My brothers and their families drove up to Ohio from their respective homes (West Virginia and Alabama). Being a Stude nut, my dad was able to combine the two events. We drove his two Studebakers to the evening dinner. Even more special was the fact that my dad and mom drove to and from the dinner in his 53 C Commander - the very same car they left their wedding in back in 1960. It was a very special day for all of us.
                  --george
                  George, please email me more details and higher resolution pictures. Thanks!

Comment

All I was able to pull off is a drive too and from work. Beggers can't be choosers!
                    Dylan Wills
                    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I drove my 1958 Scotsmans e series . on the 4th and on Sept. 4 th both . Just locally in my home town but got some people to wave at me. most older cars I seen the day was fords but nice looking fords. 1958 and a 1963.

Comment

I drove the '76 Avanti on a 70 mile round trip to Oakbrook IL to see the AACA show @ the Mariott. Several fellow Blackhawk members were showing their Studes. Richard Quinn had his beautiful '39 Coupe Express there also. Fellow Chicagoland AOAI member Hugh Edfors had his '02 Avanti Coupe there and my '76 was parked right behind to give a view of old and new Avantis. It was a beautiful day in Chicagoland to cruise in the Avanti.
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by marcbr4 View Post
                          I didn't actually "drive" my Studebaker but I did haul the sheet metal around in a trailer!! Does that count?
                          If this comes down to a vote, I say "Let it count!" There is always next year.

Comment

Drove 70 mile round trip to a car show in Madeira Park, BC. Beautiful warm sunny day. Twisty windy road. Perfect!
                            sigpic
                            Brian Schuppert

71 Buick Riviera
                            41 Studebaker Commander

Comment

Working...
                            X