If I gotta have only one.. What should I get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I gotta have only one.. What should I get

So here is a question that could probably have a thousand different answers. But, I am trying to get back into the studebaker thing. I would love a hawk but I need something that would be practical for my dad to use as a semi daily driver for about 5 months out of the year and it be a toy for me the rest of the time. I have been thinking a truck and maybe a champ although my dad really likes the late 50's. So what do you guys think in my informal poll?

Former owner/owner with Dad:
    58 Packard Golden Hawk
    62 Hawk
    62 Lark
    63 Lark
    64 Lark
    63 Champ

Lakeland, FL

Shawn: I see you are in Lakeland FL.

That's where muscle car writer Tom Shaw lives.

Accordingly, I think you should buy an R2/4-speed Lark and drive it to all the local cruise nights, where Tom will see it every time he steps out of his house and we can thus keep an R2 Lark under his nose at all times! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Shawn: I see you are in Lakeland FL.

That's where muscle car writer Tom Shaw lives.

Accordingly, I think you should buy an R2/4-speed Lark and drive it to all the local cruise nights, where Tom will see it every time he steps out of his house and we can thus keep an R2 Lark under his nose at all times! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Merry Christmas Shawn, If I could have only one it would be a 57 Silver Hawk 289, 3spd od. Probably in black. Hey I've got kin folks in Auburndale! NT

Neil Thornton
        Hazlehurst, GA
        '57 Silver Hawk
        '56 Sky Hawk
        '51 2R16 dump truck
        Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Merry Christmas Shawn, If I could have only one it would be a 57 Silver Hawk 289, 3spd od. Probably in black. Hey I've got kin folks in Auburndale! NT

Neil Thornton
          Hazlehurst, GA
          '57 Silver Hawk
          '56 Sky Hawk
          '51 2R16 dump truck
          Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

There is actually a pink 61 silver hawk here in Lakeland that I am trying to get my hands on. It has been owned by the same guy since 1969. It has 40,000 miles on it and he is the second owner. I doubt I can get him down to my price range. As far as an R2 Lark with a 4 speed after having a 62 lark with a six and three on the tree I would probably pee myself over that kind of power. But wouldnt it be a blast.

58 Packard Golden Hawk
            62 Hawk
            62 Lark
            63 Lark
            64 Lark
            63 Champ

Lakeland, FL

Comment

There is actually a pink 61 silver hawk here in Lakeland that I am trying to get my hands on. It has been owned by the same guy since 1969. It has 40,000 miles on it and he is the second owner. I doubt I can get him down to my price range. As far as an R2 Lark with a 4 speed after having a 62 lark with a six and three on the tree I would probably pee myself over that kind of power. But wouldnt it be a blast.

58 Packard Golden Hawk
              62 Hawk
              62 Lark
              63 Lark
              64 Lark
              63 Champ

Lakeland, FL

Comment

IMHO an R2 with 4-speed is not all that fast compared to many cars on the road today; of course if your initials are TH please ignore this. Hell.......a Cadillac Escalade would probably be faster, but then the Lark would be considerably lighter which might tip the scales. But the Esclade would be one of the few vehicles to get poorer gas mileage than a 3.7 geared, R2, 4-speed. Choose wisely for a daily driver, gas prices are only headed one way.

wagone

Comment

IMHO an R2 with 4-speed is not all that fast compared to many cars on the road today; of course if your initials are TH please ignore this. Hell.......a Cadillac Escalade would probably be faster, but then the Lark would be considerably lighter which might tip the scales. But the Esclade would be one of the few vehicles to get poorer gas mileage than a 3.7 geared, R2, 4-speed. Choose wisely for a daily driver, gas prices are only headed one way.

wagone

Comment

hey shawn, that pink 61 was most likely orange originally. Studebaker had a color called Flamingo when it is fresh it looks very nice. That would be a great semi daily driver. i love thos fins though.

Erin Hays
                    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
                    RZRECTD
                    1961 Hawk
                    1962 Lark
                    1963 Wagonaire

Comment

hey shawn, that pink 61 was most likely orange originally. Studebaker had a color called Flamingo when it is fresh it looks very nice. That would be a great semi daily driver. i love thos fins though.

Erin Hays
                      "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
                      RZRECTD
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Lark
                      1963 Wagonaire

Comment

[)]Well, since this is a poll, I'm going to back the Champ idea, of course![)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

[)]Well, since this is a poll, I'm going to back the Champ idea, of course![)]

steve blake

steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
                          http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Try a Cruiser, 1961-1966. Powerful yet somewhat economical to own and operate, roomy, luxurious, top of the line Studebaker sedan so you have the snob appeal going for you. Just good, all-around cars.

In my unbiased opinion.

Studedude1961
                            --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Try a Cruiser, 1961-1966. Powerful yet somewhat economical to own and operate, roomy, luxurious, top of the line Studebaker sedan so you have the snob appeal going for you. Just good, all-around cars.

In my unbiased opinion.

Studedude1961
                              --1963 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X