C-cab head room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-cab head room

I am still thinking about owning a Studebaker truck, I have never had the chance to sit in a C-cab and see if my 6'3" frame will fit in one without my head touching the top of the cab or my knee's bumping the dash. I gave a Champ a try and my head rubbed the top of the cab (not cool[}]) so if any of you guys are close in height to me and own one of these trucks let me know how well you fit in it![8D]

Randy_G
    1959 Lark Sedan
    www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Hey Randy... it depends on where your length is - in your legs, or your back. I'm 6'2" and I fit in a C-Cab just fine, with about 2" headroom to spare. The leg room isn't quite the same as my newer Brand X though.[:0]

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    [img]
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Hey Randy... it depends on where your length is - in your legs, or your back. I'm 6'2" and I fit in a C-Cab just fine, with about 2" headroom to spare. The leg room isn't quite the same as my newer Brand X though.[:0]

<h5>Mark
      '57 Transtar
      3E-6/7-122
      </h5>
      [img]
      Mark Hayden
      '66 Commander
      Zone Coordinator
      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Randy_G

I am still thinking about owning a Studebaker truck, I have never had the chance to sit in a C-cab and see if my 6'3" frame will fit in one without my head touching the top of the cab or my knee's bumping the dash. I gave a Champ a try and my head rubbed the top of the cab (not cool[}]) so if any of you guys are close in height to me and own one of these trucks let me know how well you fit in it![8D]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Randy_G

Craig

Comment

Randy,
            I am 6'4" and back in the 80's I drove a 1958 Transtar for a few years with plenty of head room.

Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO
            President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
            Gary Sanders
            Nixa, MO

Comment

Randy,
              I am 6'4" and back in the 80's I drove a 1958 Transtar for a few years with plenty of head room.

Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO
              President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

I don't think headroom is much of a problem. Seems Studebaker was always concerned about that. Legroom, on the other hand, is definitely in short supply-especially compared to modern trucks. I'm only 5'7", and legroom is only tolerable because I have some brand-x seats with thinner backs. I can't imagine what it was like in the old days spending 9-10 hrs a days working in one of those cabs.

Steve Hudson
                The Dalles, Oregon
                1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
                1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                The Dalles, Oregon
                1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

I don't think headroom is much of a problem. Seems Studebaker was always concerned about that. Legroom, on the other hand, is definitely in short supply-especially compared to modern trucks. I'm only 5'7", and legroom is only tolerable because I have some brand-x seats with thinner backs. I can't imagine what it was like in the old days spending 9-10 hrs a days working in one of those cabs.

Steve Hudson
                  The Dalles, Oregon
                  1937 Dictator Flatback sedan (for sale)
                  1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                  1953 Champion Starliner (custom/rod project)
                  1954 Champion Coupe (daily driver)
                  1960 Hawk (future project?)

Steve Hudson
                  The Dalles, Oregon
                  1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                  1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

I'm 6'2" and I know what ya mean. The solution is to replace the back springs with foam that's a lot thinner. That will move you back and actually give you more leg room. Or you can do what I did and lengthen the cab 8".

Comment

I'm 6'2" and I know what ya mean. The solution is to replace the back springs with foam that's a lot thinner. That will move you back and actually give you more leg room. Or you can do what I did and lengthen the cab 8".

Comment

Greetings, Randy,

Even though I've owned and/or driven C-cabs for fifty years, I can never honestly say they are anything approaching comfortable. By today's standards of Rolls-Royce comfort in trucks, driving a C-cab is like rolling down a hill in a barrel. However, I'll always maintain the Bill Bourke styling, especially the 1955, is still the prettiest pickup ever made, and I'll be driving mine as long as I can shift gears. My family has driven C-cabs for three generations, all more than 6'2". There is plenty of headroom. However, the windshield header will always seem too low; can't see traffic lights.

The crying lack is leg room. Every C-cab I've ever seen has the seat all the way to the rear. Can't figure why they bothered with adjustment tracks. The floorboard angle and thus the accelerator pedal angle is always uncomfortable for me. A cruise control would be a blessing on even short highway trips. Once, I experimented with a thinner seat back and cushion. For whatever reason, I couldn't find the combination of angles which improved anything, so I went back to OEM.

Bottom line, for a tall guy, owning a C-cab is like marrying your wife. If you have to talk yourself into it, don't. It only works when you cannot imagine life without her.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

Greetings, Randy,

Even though I've owned and/or driven C-cabs for fifty years, I can never honestly say they are anything approaching comfortable. By today's standards of Rolls-Royce comfort in trucks, driving a C-cab is like rolling down a hill in a barrel. However, I'll always maintain the Bill Bourke styling, especially the 1955, is still the prettiest pickup ever made, and I'll be driving mine as long as I can shift gears. My family has driven C-cabs for three generations, all more than 6'2". There is plenty of headroom. However, the windshield header will always seem too low; can't see traffic lights.

The crying lack is leg room. Every C-cab I've ever seen has the seat all the way to the rear. Can't figure why they bothered with adjustment tracks. The floorboard angle and thus the accelerator pedal angle is always uncomfortable for me. A cruise control would be a blessing on even short highway trips. Once, I experimented with a thinner seat back and cushion. For whatever reason, I couldn't find the combination of angles which improved anything, so I went back to OEM.

Bottom line, for a tall guy, owning a C-cab is like marrying your wife. If you have to talk yourself into it, don't. It only works when you cannot imagine life without her.

thnx, jack vines

PackardV8
                          PackardV8

Comment

Me too.....the leg room is the issue. I have a brand x bench seat that needs to be thinned out at the back. I would almost consider building the 49 pickup into an extended cab just for the comfort.

Brian K. Curtis,
                            1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
                            1949 1/2 ton pickup
                            1963 GT Hawk custom
                            1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Me too.....the leg room is the issue. I have a brand x bench seat that needs to be thinned out at the back. I would almost consider building the 49 pickup into an extended cab just for the comfort.

Brian K. Curtis,
                              1925 Duplex-Phaeton ER
                              1949 1/2 ton pickup
                              1963 GT Hawk custom
                              1966 Daytona 2dr

Comment

Working...
                              X