No announcement yet.

Where are R3 Avantis? Also last Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So we know the whereabouts of R3 R5089 and R5643. George Krem sold his gold R3 many years ago correct? Did it stay in the SDC? I think George told me the R3 which set all the records at Bonneville was also gold. The film currently on Youtube shows a burgandy Avanti doing the runs. I note however that it has its wheel covers in place and no straps holding the rear window in place. It might not be the actual record setting Avanti.

Comment

Yes, Mr Krem's info states that R5089 had 4:55 gears. I'm wondering whether it would even do 110 mph as my 3:7 geared Dana 44 wouldn't see much beyond 115 with those small 6.70 tires. I'd like to think it would break 120 but I doubt it . Andy Granatelli stated in his book that an R2 Avanti was clocked under his auspices at nearly 160 mph! But.........Mr Granatelli was in the early days nothing if not a showman. One would need to hide all the R3 goodies possible inside what looked like a normal R2 to get those kind of speeds. However, an R2 Avanti, apparently stock, was clocked at the Salt Flats at 147 mph with four people aboard! R5089 also had a 4-speed, electric windows, power steering, and various other options.

wagone

Comment

Yes, Mr Krem's info states that R5089 had 4:55 gears. I'm wondering whether it would even do 110 mph as my 3:7 geared Dana 44 wouldn't see much beyond 115 with those small 6.70 tires. I'd like to think it would break 120 but I doubt it . Andy Granatelli stated in his book that an R2 Avanti was clocked under his auspices at nearly 160 mph! But.........Mr Granatelli was in the early days nothing if not a showman. One would need to hide all the R3 goodies possible inside what looked like a normal R2 to get those kind of speeds. However, an R2 Avanti, apparently stock, was clocked at the Salt Flats at 147 mph with four people aboard! R5089 also had a 4-speed, electric windows, power steering, and various other options.

wagone

Comment

I've tried to piece together which vehicles were used to set the records--I WISH someone with access to more complete info than I have would undertake this effort. My head scratching (and this CAN be argued) is that two R3 Larks were used--one convertible and one closed car, at least one R3 Avanti, one six clyinder Lark, and likely an R2 or R4 Hawk (the latter, I think). Remember that many but not necessarily all R3 Avanti records were set in 1962 and the other cars in 1963. Also in late April 1962 (the 25th I believe) an early pre-production Avanti was trucked to a public highway in Nevada and clocked by a SoCal official at a terminal speed (not average as at Bonneville) of 171.1 mph. Vince stated that at Bonneville the terminal velocity of an R3 Avanti was 178.5 mph! That's moving in 1963 (or 1962)!

wagone

Comment

I've tried to piece together which vehicles were used to set the records--I WISH someone with access to more complete info than I have would undertake this effort. My head scratching (and this CAN be argued) is that two R3 Larks were used--one convertible and one closed car, at least one R3 Avanti, one six clyinder Lark, and likely an R2 or R4 Hawk (the latter, I think). Remember that many but not necessarily all R3 Avanti records were set in 1962 and the other cars in 1963. Also in late April 1962 (the 25th I believe) an early pre-production Avanti was trucked to a public highway in Nevada and clocked by a SoCal official at a terminal speed (not average as at Bonneville) of 171.1 mph. Vince stated that at Bonneville the terminal velocity of an R3 Avanti was 178.5 mph! That's moving in 1963 (or 1962)!

wagone

Comment

The film currently on Youtube shows other Studebakers in the background. I think there are at least two additional Avantis on the car transport in one view. Also the narrative says the engines are 299 cubic inches. That is not correct.

Comment

The film currently on Youtube shows other Studebakers in the background. I think there are at least two additional Avantis on the car transport in one view. Also the narrative says the engines are 299 cubic inches. That is not correct.

Comment

Yes, 299 cubes is correct, at least for the runs in 1962. That engine had a 3 5/8" by 3 5/8" bore and stroke. And most (maybe all) Avanti records were set with the 299" engine.

wagone

Comment

Yes, 299 cubes is correct, at least for the runs in 1962. That engine had a 3 5/8" by 3 5/8" bore and stroke. And most (maybe all) Avanti records were set with the 299" engine.

wagone

Comment

Herb all nine original R- Avantid still live and are accounted for and listed in the Avanti owners Association Roster. it is a mere $19.95 to join for a new member for the first year and then $25.00 thereafter. Go to www.aoai.org for an on line application. We would be more than happy to have you join over 2,000 other Avanti lovers in our organization. If you want further info contact me off line.

The last Avanti made is indeed in the Crawford Museum alive and well.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                      sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Herb all nine original R- Avantid still live and are accounted for and listed in the Avanti owners Association Roster. it is a mere $19.95 to join for a new member for the first year and then $25.00 thereafter. Go to www.aoai.org for an on line application. We would be more than happy to have you join over 2,000 other Avanti lovers in our organization. If you want further info contact me off line.

The last Avanti made is indeed in the Crawford Museum alive and well.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The only problem (well ok, not the ONLY) with Avanti ownership is that the model is more of an orphan than Studebaker is an orphaned car make. The SDC seems to think that Avanti information is covered by the Avanti group and hence the SDC does not have much to say about Studebaker's last attempt at a viable model. And the AOAI concentrates much of its effort (or so it seemed when I belonged to both groups) on the Avanti II. And the original is pretty much left out in the cold. Remember, opinions are like navels. And you're entitled to yours, also.

wagone

Comment

The only problem (well ok, not the ONLY) with Avanti ownership is that the model is more of an orphan than Studebaker is an orphaned car make. The SDC seems to think that Avanti information is covered by the Avanti group and hence the SDC does not have much to say about Studebaker's last attempt at a viable model. And the AOAI concentrates much of its effort (or so it seemed when I belonged to both groups) on the Avanti II. And the original is pretty much left out in the cold. Remember, opinions are like navels. And you're entitled to yours, also.

wagone

Comment

About 25? years ago there was an ad in Hemmings for what was claimed to be an original R3 Avanti. It was said to be a black car in fine condition, asking $30K. I thought about it but passed. Don't recall where it was.

I think that was the same issue which also advertised what was claimed to be Rollie Free's Bonneville Vincent at $25K. I thought about that one even more, but passed on it too.

Ah well..........

Comment

About 25? years ago there was an ad in Hemmings for what was claimed to be an original R3 Avanti. It was said to be a black car in fine condition, asking $30K. I thought about it but passed. Don't recall where it was.

I think that was the same issue which also advertised what was claimed to be Rollie Free's Bonneville Vincent at $25K. I thought about that one even more, but passed on it too.

Ah well..........

Comment

Working...
                                X