• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by Dwight FitzSimons View Post

Joe Hall,
    AFAIK the system used in the 1970s and 1980s had a purge line to the engine intake manifold or air cleaner, and that (partial) engine vacuum pulled the gasoline vapors through the activated carbon in the charcoal canister. When running those engines pulled the gas fumes through the charcoal canister into the engine, where they were burned . When the engine was not running the vapor pressure from the gas tank pushed the fumes into the charcoal canister where they were stored (adsorbed by the activated carbon). (Do I have this all right so far?)

Obviously, the system works satisfactorily on your setup without a purge line. So, without a purge line wouldn't the charcoal canister need periodic replacement?

BTW, your tip looks to be the savior of my stinky '64 Avanti. Thanks for the tip.
    --Dwight
    I initially hooked the vacuum line from the can to a ported vacuum nipple on the carbs. But later when I installed TBI on both cars, I left that hose disconnected it since the TBI is sensitive to vacuum, "leaks". I never could tell any difference, in that, the charcoal can still eliminates the gasoline smell without air being drawn across it. Maybe since the TBIs are both running perfectly, I will try connecting the vacuum lines, just because. But was advised initially to disconnect any such fittings, and did so. Either way, the charcoal in the can seems to be the key.

The above vacuum line is constant; the "purge line" was an intermittent dump mechanism, and came along later to satisfy more stringent EPA concerns, if I understand correctly.

Leave a comment:

• 56sghor
    replied
    Both my 56Js would leave a gas smell in the garage when I filled the tank and drove less than 20 miles, before returning home. I could see the gas stain as some gas leaked out from the sending unit, down the front of the tank and dripped on the floor from the lowest point of the tank. I had the gasket replaced on each car at least 3 time, but the result was always the same. I finally got a note from Bob Kapteyn who solved the problem. It involved the washers. I don't want to reprint the article here, but it is posted on our web site at:
    http://1956goldenhawk.com/newslpdf/56jon070.pdf

The story is at the bottom of page 1. If you've ever had the sending unit out of your car and encounter this situation, this may solve your stinky garage problem.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight FitzSimons
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeHall View Post

Nope, I don't use a purge line, and the 70s-80s vintage setup has eliminated the gasoline smell in the garage. With the 56J's slit gas cap seal, it only stinks up the garage if I fill the tank then drive the 1 mile home. If I drive it 10-20 miles, fuel level is down sufficient not to stink up the garage. Neither of the GTs stink up the garage though, even if driven straight home from the gas station. A Harley can is small enough to locate near the filler neck on a Stude, and that's what I had planned on the 56J, but I have not got round to it yet. I bought all the cans off eBay, tons of them on there. At least last time there were when I bought mine about. decade ago.
    Joe Hall,
    AFAIK the system used in the 1970s and 1980s had a purge line to the engine intake manifold or air cleaner, and that (partial) engine vacuum pulled the gasoline vapors through the activated carbon in the charcoal canister. When running those engines pulled the gas fumes through the charcoal canister into the engine, where they were burned . When the engine was not running the vapor pressure from the gas tank pushed the fumes into the charcoal canister where they were stored (adsorbed by the activated carbon). (Do I have this all right so far?)

Obviously, the system works satisfactorily on your setup without a purge line. So, without a purge line wouldn't the charcoal canister need periodic replacement?

BTW, your tip looks to be the savior of my stinky '64 Avanti. Thanks for the tip.
    --Dwight

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by bensherb View Post
    Joe Hall: Too may complaints of gas smell from family made me recently go to a one way vented cap, and pressure in the tank has had me wondering about issues with it. Thanks for the idea about adding a charcoal canister to a tank vent line. The idea never came to mind. Do you also run the canister purge line to the intake? If not does it make your garage smell of gas?

FYI, its averaged 100f here since April (shy a couple weeks), which is normal, evaporation with this new gas is a real issue. I'm pretty sure that is one reason why my MPG is so pitiful. I don't drive it that hard.
    Nope, I don't use a purge line, and the 70s-80s vintage setup has eliminated the gasoline smell in the garage. With the 56J's slit gas cap seal, it only stinks up the garage if I fill the tank then drive the 1 mile home. If I drive it 10-20 miles, fuel level is down sufficient not to stink up the garage. Neither of the GTs stink up the garage though, even if driven straight home from the gas station. A Harley can is small enough to locate near the filler neck on a Stude, and that's what I had planned on the 56J, but I have not got round to it yet. I bought all the cans off eBay, tons of them on there. At least last time there were when I bought mine about. decade ago.

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Joe Hall: Too may complaints of gas smell from family made me recently go to a one way vented cap, and pressure in the tank has had me wondering about issues with it. Thanks for the idea about adding a charcoal canister to a tank vent line. The idea never came to mind. Do you also run the canister purge line to the intake? If not does it make your garage smell of gas?

FYI, its averaged 100f here since April (shy a couple weeks), which is normal, evaporation with this new gas is a real issue. I'm pretty sure that is one reason why my MPG is so pitiful. I don't drive it that hard.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    I have an article from The Studebaker News about a Studebaker owner in South Bend who drove his car into the Freeman Spicer dealership and had the tank removed and emptied and used the contents to help with the down payment on a new car. He had been putting his loose change in the tank for 3-4 years. There was a photo and details in the caption. As Robert Ripley would say "Believe it or Not."

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Terry!
    Looks like a Nice "R" Series Truck, you don't see many repainted stark White.

Glad to have another new Pacific Northwest Member, have you joined the North Puget Sound SDC Chapter in Everett?

Tanks can definitely collapse with a plugged Cap, Dad had a brand New '60 Lark Demo that did exactly that.
    They can also swell to a point of blowing a line off in extreme hot weather if not vented both ways. In the desert, an unvented Stude tank would make it hard to twist the cap off for refueling, and a big whose of hot vapor would blow out when the cap released its seal. I recall once, after having a hard time twisting a cap off, I looked under the 62GT and saw the rubber fuel line was only hanging on by about 1/2". The pressure had all but pushed it off the metal nipple. Since then, I have always insured my Stude caps vent BOTH ways. I either drill a tiny hole through the top, slit the seal with a razor, or run a vent line to a charcoal canister, from a 70s-80s vintage brand x car. I have had charcoal cans on both GTs now for at least a decade, but still running with the slit seal on the 56J. You can also run a much smaller can from a Harley. Got one for the 56J several years ago, but just never got round touting it on.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
    My '50 Commander had an 18 gallon tank as well. I believe most Studebakers go way back with that size tank. Does anyone know differently?
    Yes, see Post #4 here.

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    Originally posted by terrydoc View Post
    And I am waiting for the mystery 6 gallons of “Kidney Stones”... any updates?!?
    Terry, I too am glad to see another new Studebaker owner here in the NW. I believe my brother, Bill, is (or will be soon) a member of the Puget Sound Chapter. He is restoring a 1957 Golden Hawk at his home in Marysville. He works at Boeing in Everett.

Leave a comment:

• Commander Eddie
    replied
    My '50 Commander had an 18 gallon tank as well. I believe most Studebakers go way back with that size tank. Does anyone know differently?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Terry!
    Looks like a Nice "R" Series Truck, you don't see many repainted stark White.

Glad to have another new Pacific Northwest Member, have you joined the North Puget Sound SDC Chapter in Everett?

Tanks can definitely collapse with a plugged Cap, Dad had a brand New '60 Lark Demo that did exactly that.

Leave a comment:

• terrydoc
    replied
    And I am waiting for the mystery 6 gallons of “Kidney Stones”... any updates?!?

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    I'm wondering if the tank vent got plugged, could the pull from the fuel pump be enough to collapse the tank?

This will be interesting to find out what the problem is.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Originally posted by Bullet View Post
    I have not seen any dents in my tank, that's why I am thinking it is junk in the tank. I will have to pull it to be sure. Thanks for the confirmation!

Mark
    I cannot imagine six gallons of junk in the tank, nor why anyone would install a fuel cell filler block. It will be interesting to hear what you find. I usually gas up at 13-15 gallons down. A 12 gallon tank would be quite an inconvenience.

Leave a comment:

• Bullet
    replied
    I have not seen any dents in my tank, that's why I am thinking it is junk in the tank. I will have to pull it to be sure. Thanks for the confirmation!

Mark

Leave a comment:

Working...
X