Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$6.5333333 Cents each, NOT cheap!

Since I would never buy less than 48 or so, that really adds up.

I like the Deal Bob got better, my emailed current West Coast Ad from O'Reilly's does not show any Valvoline deal.
    I will go into the Store to see if there is a Paper Ad that I don't get out in the County with a Sale.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-29-2016, 08:14 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I have been using the Valvoline VR-1 Racing oil in my 49 Packard and my 1957 Packard Clipper for several years. The Clipper for the 2 years I've had it. I use the 10W-30 since we have cold winters, and the summers do not get punishingly hot. Before using this oil I called Ashland Oil Co. which owns Valvoline, and spoke to a representative about the VR-1. I wouldn't try something new without being pretty sure of what I was doing. I was told that they call it "Racing Oil" so that they can use the amount of ZDDP that they use, and not have the oil confused with conventional oils for modern cars with catalytic converters. I don't remember his exact explanation, but it was close what I just wrote. The amount of ZDDP in it is described in company literature available online; just google it. It goes essentially along with what was described by "61Lark" and "StudeRich" above. I've had no problems, and also buy it periodically when on sale.

I am not an expert on oils and I make no recommendations, but I've been driving for 61 years, and have learned a few things. Both Valvoline and Shell (Rotella-T) make a 15W-40 oil (that has heavy duty qualities) which I use in my Mercedes 420SEL. It is recommended for that car by Mercedes, and is used by many Packard owners of cars from the 1950's and even 1940's, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in both of my Packards. I mention this particularly because of the 15W-40 spec as opposed to the 10W-40 and 20W-50 oils. I have called the oil companies and also talked to mechanics about why 15W and not 10W with the 40. I am told that with multi weight oils, accuracy in how the oil adapts to changing temperatures is dependable up to a difference of "25", but cannot be counted on with any greater difference, e.g. "30" as it is with 10-40 etc. Another thought: some people also say not to add ZDDP to oil that already has some in it unless you know exactly what you're doing, as you can cause engine damage by having too much ZDDP.

Again I don't claim to be an expert on this subject, but just wanted to pass on some things that to me seem to be valid, and may be helpful.

Comment

My local Auto Zone just sold Racing 20/50 for 1.00 CLEARANCE. I bought it all:12 quarts. They said they won't be restocking. The local Pep Boys and Advance Auto stopped too. The Valvoline site doesn't mention anything about a phase out. Perhaps it's just slow sales here in my town....anyone else finding this is not on the shelves? I'll have to use Amazon.

Comment

The 10W/30 is probably a bigger seller, that is what I use.

Maybe with the "Modern Day" thinking types leaning toward the Lighter Weight Oils like used in their Newer Cars, more people choose the 10/30, I don't know but I sure hope they are not discontinuing it altogether.

You SHOULD still be able to ask your Parts Store to contact their Valvoline Wholesale Distributor and ORDER it, especially if you have an Independently Owned Store like many Carquest Stores are.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You can find Vavoline GR1 Racing Oil on eBay at reasonable prices many with free shipping....

Comment

The local NAPA store has always had Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil (Silver) in stock. I'll be needing some soon and I hope they still carry it.
              "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Napa in Ca. at least SoCal, have stopped selling both the Valvoline Racing oils.

I do my own little experiments, and am VERY happy with the current Valvoline Racing oils...but apparently only available online for CA.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                  Napa in Ca. at least SoCal, have stopped selling both the Valvoline Racing oils.

I do my own little experiments, and am VERY happy with the current Valvoline Racing oils...but apparently only available online for CA.

Mike
                  Mike,

In our neck of the woods there is Dick's Auto parts on Azusa Ave just on the north side of the fwy. They have the Valvolene Racing high ZDDP oil in 20-50. I can also get type F trans fluid there.

Ken

Comment

... oh boy, now you have to worry about "too" much ZDDP....... what next, oh engineers from the dark ???

Comment

I found mobil 1 15 50 w in auto zone for 1.00 a bottle ,, The label says it has zinc ! how much I don't know Ed

Comment

Working...
                      X