Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil Sale

'Just got the new ad flyer from O'Reilly's Auto Parts, with prices good for a month out, beginning September 28, 2016.

Among the items on sale is a 5-quart jug of 20W50 Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil for $24.95. This is a good oil for older flat-tappet camshaft engines. I use it in all my collector cars because it is sometimes on sale like this, which amounts to $5 per quart. Competitive products are at least $7 a quart and up, so this is a good sale price for the oil our old cars need.

(As usual, I'm not suggesting it is any better than the myriad of other collector car oils on the market. It's just that they are all more expensive, and I have no reason to believe a Valvoline product would be less than they purport it to be as to ZDDP content for flat-tappet camshaft engines. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 09-30-2016, 06:14 PM. Reason: clarified that this is 20W50 viscosity only
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for the tip Bob! I've been using "regular" oil as I can get it on sale for $13/5qts., plus the extra cost of the ZDDP, roughly $8, so the Valvoline sounds like a good enough buy.

Comment

Bob, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, there aren't any O'Reilly's on Long Island (NY). Maybe Auto Zone or Advance Auto will duplicate the offer. Well, I can dream, can't I? I've been using VR-1 in my Lark for a number of years, since all that good info regarding oil and flat tappet engines came out.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
        Bob, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, there aren't any O'Reilly's on Long Island (NY). Maybe Auto Zone or Advance Auto will duplicate the offer. Well, I can dream, can't I? I've been using VR-1 in my Lark for a number of years, since all that good info regarding oil and flat tappet engines came out. Rog
        Hmmmm....maybe Auto Zone or Advance will price match. They aften do.

Here's the ad. Print it off and take it in!

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/cu...&utm_campaign=

That item is the last item on the last page.

The only problem might be that they don't have it in 5-quart jugs. That's a fairly rare package for VR-1. In fact, I haven't seen it previously, so maybe they are rolling it out now. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          'Just got the new ad flyer from O'Reilly's Auto Parts, with prices good for a month out, beginning September 28, 2016.

Among the items on sale is a 5-quart jug of Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil for $24.95. This is a good oil for older flat-tappet camshaft engines. I use it in all my collector cars because it is sometimes on sale like this, which amounts to $5 per quart. Competitive products are at least $7 a quart and up, so this is a good sale price for the oil our old cars need.

(As usual, I'm not suggesting it is any better than the myriad of other collector car oils on the market. It's just that they are all more expensive, and I have no reason to believe a Valvoline product would be less than they purport it to be as to ZDDP content for flat-tappet camshaft engines. BP
          Poor timing. Tuesday I was in O'Reilly country. Today I'm far from them.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I'm concerned with VR-1 becasue they state: "Formulated for race engines, but compatible with passenger vehicles too", which means the ZDDP would have to be low enough for cars with catalytic converters. Unfortunately it's hard to get actual formulas from the oil companies, making it difficult for us to make an oil selection . VR-1 is probably an excellent oil, but I'm stll more comfortable with adding the ZDDP.
            Mike

Comment

Hmm, I thought that you could not use leaded fuels with catalytic converters. Never heard of a problem with ZDDP oils. Learn something every day, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe Express View Post
                I'm concerned with VR-1 becasue they state: "Formulated for race engines, but compatible with passenger vehicles too", which means the ZDDP would have to be low enough for cars with catalytic converters. Unfortunately it's hard to get actual formulas from the oil companies, making it difficult for us to make an oil selection . VR-1 is probably an excellent oil, but I'm stll more comfortable with adding the ZDDP. Mike
                "No problem" if you want to continue adding ZDDP to a regular oil, Mike, but don't add it to VR-1. Jim Pepper has cautioned against there being too much ZDDP in an oil formula as well, so that would be overkill.

Here's the label from a current bottle of VR-1:

As you see, they specifically caution against using it in cars with catalytic converters for any length of time, which means it would be better to have this oil in a cat-equipepd car than none at all, at least temporarily! They also cite the zinc-rich formula as being necessary for flat-tappet camshaft engines.

(The label is fuzzy due to the shape of the bottle. You can't lay the bottle flat on the copier for scanning because it is a contoured bottle.) BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Be great if they would quantity the amounts of ZDDP correct for our engines, and list the amounts in their oils -- make it a lot easier (and make us more comfortable) when selecting an oil. Thanks for posting that label. Obviously if it is not for extended use in cars with catalytic convertors if must be becasue of high ZDDP. Appreciate the info
                  Mike

Comment

"Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent zinc and .12 percent phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil, which contains .14 percent zinc and .13 percent phosphorus."

http://www.valvoline.com/auto-resour...oil-faq-racing

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf

Comment

Excellent oil, black or silver bottle.

Mike

Comment

Only the Silver bottle is suitable for Street Use as you know Mike, the Black for those that do not know, is strictly Racing only Oil which gets drained after 1 or 2 uses.

I do not see a difference in those two Charts as to which it is, either.
                        But it says .14 so it must be the Off Road stuff according to this:

"Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or Not Street Legal racing oil?
                        Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent zinc and .12 percent phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil, which contains .14 percent zinc and .13 percent phosphorus."
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 09-29-2016, 02:57 PM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Hmmmm....maybe Auto Zone or Advance will price match. They aften do.

Here's the ad. Print it off and take it in!

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/cu...&utm_campaign=

That item is the last item on the last page.

The only problem might be that they don't have it in 5-quart jugs. That's a fairly rare package for VR-1. In fact, I haven't seen it previously, so maybe they are rolling it out now. BP
                          Thanks Bob. Hey, we never know unless we at least try. Let's see what happens.

Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Either is good for the street except for, both...

1. Require very short change intervals. The black bottle more than the silver bottle.
                            2. No catalytic converter shall be used. The black bottle more than the silver bottle.

Even though one is conventional and one synthetic, they have additive packages that give them much the same protective outcome as the other.

I've seen some very comprehensive testing on many oils, these rank up near the top of a LOT of different oils. I've run the black bottle in my 2014 sport bike for many oil changes, till the government removed it form most stores in Ca., at least SoCal. The pan magnet stays all but clean, almost no metallic residue.
                            Now...I'm back to the same oil as I run in my Studebaker, plain ol...Castrol GTX. It also ranks high in the testing I've seen for any oil, especially a conventional oil.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
                              Bob, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, there aren't any O'Reilly's on Long Island (NY). Maybe Auto Zone or Advance Auto will duplicate the offer. Well, I can dream, can't I? I've been using VR-1 in my Lark for a number of years, since all that good info regarding oil and flat tappet engines came out.
                              Rog

You can always get it through eBay with free shipping for six or more quarts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valvoline-82...tXurTK&vxp=mtr

Different viscosity is available...

Comment

Working...
                              X