Clear All

• Thought Police (off topic)

(Not trying to start trouble....)
    Ever tied to swear on the SDC forum?
    Certain words are blocked?
    Interesting......

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Are Chevy and Ford banned?

Is that why people write them like

C***y and F**d [?]

I think you can't use the word ****el. Well it won't let me use it so you have to go to this web site to see what I am talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine

I wonder if the Mazda forum also bans that word. They would have a hard time talking about their engines!

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Are Chevy and Ford banned?

Is that why people write them like

C***y and F**d [?]

I think you can't use the word ****el. Well it won't let me use it so you have to go to this web site to see what I am talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine

I wonder if the Mazda forum also bans that word. They would have a hard time talking about their engines!

Leonard Shepherd
      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Sooo...you're suggesting we SHOULD be able to use foul language on the Forum? [:0]

Many standard forum software packages include blocks for known swear words. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but I can't see the connection of that with "Thought" police. (sounds like "careless use of bad words police" to me)

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Sooo...you're suggesting we SHOULD be able to use foul language on the Forum? [:0]

Many standard forum software packages include blocks for known swear words. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but I can't see the connection of that with "Thought" police. (sounds like "careless use of bad words police" to me)

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'll second that most forum software packages have a block for swear words. I should also throw in the whole, family oriented forum 'ting so it kinda has to stay somewhat clean.
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I'll second that most forum software packages have a block for swear words. I should also throw in the whole, family oriented forum 'ting so it kinda has to stay somewhat clean.
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Not at all...
                Just a comment on what words are acceptable, or not.
                I tried to post a comment using a particular word, and I found that it (that particular word) was 'changed' 'on my behalf'....
                I find that interesting.... forum software or not.....
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Not at all...
                  Just a comment on what words are acceptable, or not.
                  I tried to post a comment using a particular word, and I found that it (that particular word) was 'changed' 'on my behalf'....
                  I find that interesting.... forum software or not.....
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Jeff

Comment

Yeah - I found this out when I tried to employ a "cuss word" that just happens to be phonetically similar to a structure that spans a gorge or a canyon so as to create a water resevoir.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yeah - I found this out when I tried to employ a "cuss word" that just happens to be phonetically similar to a structure that spans a gorge or a canyon so as to create a water resevoir.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What Dick said.

Thought Police implies some attempted control over what you think, believe, or know to be true.

What is being discussed here is merely Forum Decorum.

(Hey, Forum Decorum: Pretty creative for a late-evening post, eh?) [8D] BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

What Dick said.

Thought Police implies some attempted control over what you think, believe, or know to be true.

What is being discussed here is merely Forum Decorum.

(Hey, Forum Decorum: Pretty creative for a late-evening post, eh?) [8D] BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
                            [brIf you ask my sister, you lost any chance of that when you started driving a Station Wagon. [)]
                            Your sister just doesn't get cool !

Station wagons are the coolest of the cool. I had a '78 Ford Country Squire wagon and probably have more memories with that car than any other I've owned. Gotta love a 3-way tailgate and dual facing rear seats !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude
                              [brIf you ask my sister, you lost any chance of that when you started driving a Station Wagon. [)]
                              Your sister just doesn't get cool !

Station wagons are the coolest of the cool. I had a '78 Ford Country Squire wagon and probably have more memories with that car than any other I've owned. Gotta love a 3-way tailgate and dual facing rear seats !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                              X