Information needed - Fire extinguisher for M5 trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information needed - Fire extinguisher for M5 trucks

Looking for some information on the fire extinguisher accessory available for M5 Trucks. The M5 accessory brochure has a "generic" picture in it showing a fire extinguisher mounted under the dash on the passenger side kick panel. Does anyone know of the brand? I doubt Studebaker made their own extinguisher, rather opting for a third party to provide the unit to the dealers. Any help is appreciated.
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

An obscure accessory for sure. I would think than any period correct fire extinguisher would pass for what Studebaker had available.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Most likely the extinguisher used was a carbontetrachloride because that was all there was in those days. They were very effective on gasoline fires, however inhaling any smoke from a fire extinguished with carbontetrachloride is very unhealthy. Today they are completely banned from society because of their inherent health risks. Most of them came in attractive brass containers in various sizes. They can be found in antique stores but most are empty. Some were pressure containers and some were pump style. I have a small collection of the larger styles. Common makers were Pyrene, Quick Aid, FYR FIGHTER, Factory Mutual and many others. There were also some early Baking Soda models but were very messy.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04753.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1708941

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	M5 FIRE PROTECTION.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1708956 This is what we have in our '47 M5.
        Of course it has been deactivated and cleaned, and is there for historical effect.
        We always keep a modern unit by the rear wheel, when we are at a show.

Comment

Never, never, never actually use one of those antique extinguisher on a fire. The carbontetrachloride inside them reacts with fire and makes mustard gas. If you have one mounted in your truck I'd highly recommended draining it so it doesn't accidentally get used.

Get a small ABC extinguisher to actually use.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
            Never, never, never actually use one of those antique extinguisher on a fire. The carbontetrachloride inside them reacts with fire and makes mustard gas. If you have one mounted in your truck I'd highly recommended draining it so it doesn't accidentally get used.

Get a small ABC extinguisher to actually use.
            The gas is Phosgene but still very unhealthy, I agree with the never, never.

Comment

Working...
            X