R2/Automatic Champ Production Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2/Automatic Champ Production Order

'Most everyone has their September 2016 Turning Wheels by now, so you may have read the material about The R2 Champ truck in my Memorial about Bill Mitchell at the end of the September Co-Operator.

I ran across a copy of that truck's Production Order today and thought y'all might enjoy seeing it:

Cool beans, eh? (I'd say that's one helluva Deviation: An entire R2 engine!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

My Uncle went to his local Studebaker dealer (Rosenburg Motors, Cameron, Texas) and inquired about a supercharged Champ. Apparently the Zone official said no way so Mr. Rosey got in touch with South Bend directly. When the total price came back it was far more than a cotton farmer could afford...

Not too long after, he found a 5E7 and swapped out the 259/3sp with a 289 from a circle track car out of Waco, Texas, and finished it with 3sp/OD.
    Last edited by 62champ; 09-05-2016, 06:22 PM.

Comment

That would REALLY be interesting reading: Deviation Permit #5338! Listing all the Parts to make the conversion.

As I have said here before I knew the Parts Dept. counterman at Frank Afton Studebaker Packard Mercedes in Inglewod Calif. who bought his 4 Speed R2 Champ from Paxton Products Div.

It was quite the Street screamer with the 3.73 TT, but I am pretty sure it had Disc Brakes, and was a 112 Inch W/B.

If this Long Bed job with H.D. Springs had Discs it must have been a later addition at some point.

Does this make the THIRD JTS Champ then? I thought the Paxton Trucks were both Short Beds and one IS accounted for now.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hey, it doesn't have the 64 engine number sequence that the cars used! I don't know if the trucks continued to use the sequence numbering system as in the past years or not. Oh wait, now I see it was made in 62. I assumed it was made in 63 for some reason, but it did make it off the line the same day as my 63 R-2 Hawk!! It was also my parents anniversary.

59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I visited a fellow the Princeton area in Illinois that went to his Studebaker dealer
          to buy a Champ and the dealer had a R2 Hawk on the floor and he fell in love with
          the Hawk.
          He asked the dealer jokingly if he could get the Champ with the Supercharged engine.
          The dealer called the factory and he was told that they will build one that way
          and I saw the truck with the R2.
          I lost the man's name and address but some Studebaker person must be able to confirm this.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            That would REALLY be interesting reading: Deviation Permit #5338! Listing all the Parts to make the conversion.
            Yes, Rich, there should be a 12-page (or more) attachment to the Production Order listing the parts required and the necessary alterations.

Craig

Comment

The black 4 speed R2 production order was 4 pages with the final destination in California at Paxton. Gene Autry had driven that truck while it was at Paxton products. Jack Erny, whose father was a partner for the Studebaker dealer in Tucson was working for Paxton at the time bought the truck in 1965 and drove it to Tucson. He removed the supercharger and swapped for A/C. (Black truck, Tucson summers, who knew). Jack had the truck until 1983. Lou Fencl bought the truck, but before he did, when he looked at the truck the first time, he wrote down the serial number and sent off for the production order and it came back 4 pages long.

I wrote up an article and sent it to editor Linda Fox. I foolishly did not send copies; I sent everything I had including pictures and negatives.

The current owner's son had contacted me for information but I fell ill shortly after and lost his contact information. If he is on the forum or if someone knows him, contact me, as I will gladly provide history as I know it when Lou had the truck. Lou did take me for a ride outside the city. At 90 MPH shifting from 3rd to 4th the tires would chirp.

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                I wrote up an article and sent it to editor Linda Fox. I foolishly did not send copies; I sent everything I had including pictures and negatives.
                And it was not returned?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ
                  I had the same experience with the information and pictures of the Petit LeMans Larks that I sent to the TW Editor. The material was neither used nor returned.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary and Craig,

No the information was not returned. I took a photograph that was Cover size of the car with a nice desert background scene. I previously had taken front and rear covers of a 1939 President that was on the front cover and 1939 Coupe Express which was one the back cover. As happens, I happened to mention to Fred Fox at the Nashville International and he mentioned something about some other research and that was the last I heard.

This is in no way casting any negative thought on either Fred or Linda Fox. Just reporting since it was asked about if the items were returned. It is my fault I did not save any of the items. I was thinking it would be a great story of interest to the members.

Bob Miles
                    Tucson AZ

Comment

Working...
                    X