How much is a truck worth? 52 pickup outside of Omaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is a truck worth? 52 pickup outside of Omaha

I saw this on Craigslist, I have a truck drive train but no truck. Is it a 2200 dollar truck or have we all watched too many auto auctions on cable tv?

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Jeff, to me it's real hard to tell. The rust prone areas (the bottom of the doors, the back of the fenders, the rear cab corners, the front of the hood, and the bed) really can't be seen. The black primer may be covering a lot of issues, or it may be a very rust-free Nebraska truck.

If it was me, I would want to take an onsite look at it. Also, the $2200 is the asking price. They might let it go for $1500 or less if you flash cash. You can always tell them that they ruined the value by covering up the patina with the black primer .

Bottom line (to me) is that rust repair costs time and money. If it's rust free, $1300 to $1600 may be worth it if it's close enough to you to go get it and not pay to ship it. Let's see what the CASOs have to say.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Door lines on bottom of pass side looks really suspect.
      John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

What Paul said. The other rust-prone areas I would add are the running boards. If the truck is relatively rust-free, it's worth $1500 in parts alone -- so it should be worth that much as it sits. But serious rust in those vulnerable places reduces it significantly.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

What will probably happen is that someone young and full of energy thinking they can get a SBC and drop in and see the truck as stuff of dreams made of. After the high price is paid, reality will set in, another abandoned project. Because it is a Studebaker and not a major player in the old car hobby the disillusioned owner will probably bad mouth the car/pickup and not his lack of information about going into the project. My guess is that is the situation right now. The truck was torn apart, pieces probably missing and it will cost 4 times as much than a complete truck.

If you have the time and ability and patience to repair the rust, hit the price at $1,000. Otherwise run like the dickens away.

Here is a truck of similar price: http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/5759465370.html
          If you know someone that is coming this way for the winter and would be willing to bring it back in the spring, it might be another way to go. Not mine no interest but I could store it at my house.

My 2 cents no change given.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

Comment

Something else to look into:

sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

I was once full of energy and thought I could fix anything, given enough time. No more.
              \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
              The Replacements.

Comment

The price seems high to me, but the prices for C-cab trucks have shot up over the last few months. I too would do an on sight look before committing to this truck. Up close and personal look may show that it is well worth the price or the opposit.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

yeah, it's easy to spend a grand on sheet metal, and that's before you weld it in....

I'd be tempted to do an onsite inspection and bring $1000-1500...

Comment

Anything used is "worth" what the buyer will pay. Any of those trucks will cost a lot more before they are rolling down the road. If you are interested, contact the seller for more details.
                    Sometimes the search is as much fun as buying something. That's when the work starts and the dreams face reality.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Ya $2 grand to start your project and how far will you be when you reach $18,500 ? I say this because I still have the very nice 49 green truck with the 390 ford engine for sale, it was on e-bay a couple of times. it would take about $30 K or better to build one as nice as it and never any rust in it, if interested I can send pictures if you missed the e-bay auction a couple of weeks ago, pictures to e-mail address only, these I have on file....Bob
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

The ad says OBO. If he put $1000.00, someone would still offer something different anyway. Want it-offer what you're willing to pay, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

the Tucson truck, with your drivetrain, and some systems' handywork looks like your best bet....

Comment

The 49 is on e-bay right now take a look and see what $18,000 will get you then start adding up what it would cost to bring any project truck to this stage.
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

Yep, pretty easy to get a pile of $$ in one......
                              I think I ended up with probably $15 in mine and that's with me doing all the hard work and I didn't need to do anything to the engine, except pull it off the frame after the complete body came off..... Mine ended up as a frame off (or is that off-frame) LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X