Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti Fans: Who thought of the reverse opening hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Fans: Who thought of the reverse opening hood?

Howdy Avanti fans, here is a question I have thought about for years, but never asked anyone.

I don't remember any Tom Kellogg drawings showing an Avanti sketch with the hood open.
    Of course you cannot tell from the 1/8th-scale clay model, as to how the hood would open.

Does anyone know the answer?
    Was it just something Bob Doehler's team thought about doing?
    Did Loewy ever specify wanting it ?
    OR was it just because... that is the way the Corvette hood opened.

Personally, I have always thought it was a cool feature.

Did any other Studebaker have a reverse opening hood? I don't think so.

Still pondering about Studebakers..... 50 years later.

Keeping Studebaker's alive.

Stude-Preferred
    Atlanta GA
    Last edited by Stude-Preferred; 12-02-2016, 07:47 AM.

Who knows, maybe the Plans were given to Engineering to make the Mechanicals' work, and they came up with the Cross flow Radiator, air bleed valve and Thunderbird Fill Tank to help cool the high Compression Engines, so the Hood just HAD to follow that line of thinking.

OR, the Design Team came up with the Forward opening hood and Engineering had to come up with a way to make it work!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hudson did from 1942 thru 1947, until the step-down models came out in 1948.

Craig

Comment

I guess that I'm in the "don't really care" as to who did what but in general prefer a rear opening hood. My ancient non-Studebaker daily driver has this feature but the next generation went to front opening hoods, computers etc... I love living in the past!

Comment

57/58 Ford's had the reverse opening hood too.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Maybe stating the obvious: most sports cars had/have reverse opening hoods, as it eliminates the possibility of a hood opening by accident at speed. That's why the Corvettes were built that way. On the Avanti it may have been a styling touch or real concern about high-speed problems.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Avanti Fans: [B
              Who thought of the reverse opening hood? [/B]

Atlanta GA
              Probably one of the poor benighted factory workers who had to fit hoods on to Studebaker Hawks..........during one of their regular concussions inflicted by whacking ones head on the Hawk hood locking mechanism spike, they had a flash of inspiration during recovery !!!

Comment

Speaking of reverse opening...the one that immediately comes to mind, for me, is those '57/58 Fords. Reason being, there were so many of them! Not only did they have a reverse opening hood, but if you bought the "hide-away" Hard Top Convertible (Skyliner), it came with a reverse opening hood & trunk!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Mercedes 190 & 300 SL hoods opened the same as an Avanti but the Germans had a safety latch. When Dad bought his 190, I thought that feature a bit carried away but when I bought the Avanti last year, the lack of a safety seemed wrong somehow. My how perceptions change over a third of a century

BTW, the 58-60 Lincolns (a.k.a. The Slant Eyed Bastard) had a rear opening hood as well. I was only a new born when Mom & Dad bought their '58 off a repo yard in the fall of '61 so I don't remember if there was a safety or not.

Comment

All in the aerodynamics. A rear opening hood can't be accidently opened at speed, air forces it closed even if unlatched. The access area is about the same either way, common maintenance items reached easily either way, unless you move the distributor to the front as Fords had. Second, as a front opening hood requires a place to put you hand on the front of it to lift, the Avanti's header panel design did not allow for easy access to the front edge to lift it, not having a grille opening. IMHO anyway-just made sense.

Comment

Agreed Fred, on the Avanti, there really isn't a need for the extra latch (unless the car is spinning on black ice at a high speed...in that case it'll be the least of your problems). On the 190 SL the latch is on the left side, easily reached while lifting the hood. When Dad bought that car I just thought of it as being Germanic over-kill (and still do) but after all these years of front opening, I was used to looking for the second latch.

Comment

Also the late 40's early 50's Buicks opened from the SIDE.

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                          Agreed Fred, on the Avanti, there really isn't a need for the extra latch (unless the car is spinning on black ice at a high speed...in that case it'll be the least of your problems). On the 190 SL the latch is on the left side, easily reached while lifting the hood. When Dad bought that car I just thought of it as being Germanic over-kill (and still do) but after all these years of front opening, I was used to looking for the second latch.
                          International Scouts had the secondary latch on the RH side. What a PIA!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                            BTW, the 58-60 Lincolns (a.k.a. The Slant Eyed Bastard) had a rear opening hood as well. I was only a new born when Mom & Dad bought their '58 off a repo yard in the fall of '61 so I don't remember if there was a safety or not.
                            Lincoln kept that front-hinged hood until 1969.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                              Speaking of reverse opening...the one that immediately comes to mind, for me, is those '57/58 Fords. Reason being, there were so many of them! Not only did they have a reverse opening hood, but if you bought the "hide-away" Hard Top Convertible (Skyliner), it came with a reverse opening hood & trunk!
                              So did a Ferrari Testa Rossa from the same year.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X