Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thunderations
    replied
    My thoughts go to the Zone and International meets to take over the task of the swap meets that are being canceled. Zone meets are in all parts of the country and if they were to set dates that would be of benefit for vendors, it might make another reason to attend.
    If the dates were arranged so that vendors didn't have to cris-cross the US, back and forth, but allowed them to follow the meets in an orderly fashion it might make sense.
    Just a thought. Know it would take a great deal of effort to co-ordinate the meet dates, but if it benefited the clubs with better turn outs, and vendors with more participation, it might just be worth it.
    Even if the swap meets end up as just part of the Zone and International Meets, it gives extra reason to attend.

Leave a comment:

• packard352
    replied
    I've just read the really sad news. I attended about 10 years ago, having ordered stuff from Studebaker Int'l, had other stuff from another vendor shipped into the hotel I was staying and then spent 2 days buying other parts from vendors. It was at this event that I was able to meet Ed Reynolds, Jim Turner and other stalwarts from the Studebaker 'family.' At this same event, I brought along my door cards that I arranged to leave with Rene and Bonita Harger.

I'm sure all the major vendors will miss these events as it brings them into contact with their buyers and offers an opportunity to discuss potential future projects and requirements.

Each were very helpful and I had a great time. By the time I had packed up my 2 suitcases, I was well over the limit to fly back to the UK!

I guess the greatest sadness will be that people won't be able to speak and exchange ideas... and everyone knows far more can be gleaned in a conversation than endless emails.

Separately, but linked to the theme, someone I know in Mass. way recently took his 350 GT Mustang along to a local Ford dealership for a photo shoot. He lamented on FB that no one in the dealership took any interest in his car, which is a great shame.

The future ain't so bright, get out the shades!

Leave a comment:

• larkregal62
    replied
    Just to advise all forum members, Tickets for the 2017 Keystone raffle car, the 1957 Golden hawk, are almost sold out!!! Less than 400 remain, and the Hemmings ad is drawing many sales. Go to www.sdckeystoneregion.com to order if you are interested! Thanks, Gordon --online ticket processor.

Leave a comment:

• Madd Doodler
    replied
    True, but with so much distance between us it shouldn't make a lot of difference.

Leave a comment:

• COMMANDERPINK1
    replied
    Originally posted by Madd Doodler View Post
    Less than a week now til our first ever All Studebaker swap meet in Dunkirk NY. Easy access off I 90. Right now I have 22 vendors signed up and still getting more. There will be a car corral too.
    I understand this is in a bit of a different region but is a schedule conflict with the Menomonie Wisc Swap Meet?

Leave a comment:

• DieselJim
    replied
    Had many good times at York. Chuck Naugle would come through South Bend on his way to York from his place in Arizona. Drove my 54 R11 a couple of times. Even drove the Diesel over 3 times. Last year my son and I came in my Dodge Ram diesel. Not as much fun, but a lot more comfort. I also said that would most likely be my last trip to York as age is catching up with me also. I have my memory's of the good times spent there. At last years banquet, I was the Truck Farmer wearing the HEW HAWS.

Leave a comment:

• rusty65
    replied
    Holy h-e-double toothpicks! Say it isin't so.This truly hurts me to my heart,but I can understand the rationale that it is no longer cost-effective for many of the vendors to attend. The first York meet I attended was in '84 or '85 driving my rattletrap '66 Commander.I have only missed a few since that time.
    I still can't believe it.I look forward to York every year.Well before I get too sappy here, I'll be double-darn sure to be there next year.I hope all the nice people whom I have met there over the years (the ones who are still with us) can attend this final York Swap Meet.Let's go out with a KA-BANG!!

Leave a comment:

• Madd Doodler
    replied
    Less than a week now til our first ever All Studebaker swap meet in Dunkirk NY. Easy access off I 90. Right now I have 22 vendors signed up and still getting more. There will be a car corral too.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by studegary View Post
    One-half page ad on page 23 of this month's "Turning Wheels".
    And on that same page is information about the First Dunkirk, NY Swap Meet, beginning just two weeks from today!

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by wheels777 View Post

What are the details on Reedsville? When? Where? What?
    One-half page ad on page 23 of this month's "Turning Wheels". That gives more information than I would care to "type" here.

Leave a comment:

• wheels777
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    I've attended every Keystone National Swap Meet since 1976, when it was still held in Reedsville; and every Reedsville Meet since the Keystone moved to York. I've had the advantage of living within a couple hour drive. I know my vehicles would have never reached the condition they are in without those gatherings. Not just for the parts; actually minimally for the parts; mainly for the people who are always eager to answer a question or suggest a solution. They are like a two day Studebaker Co-operator live symposium, replete with parts.
    It has been several years since I had to actively prowl for parts, yet I wouldn't miss a swap meet. But that has a double edge. Vendors won't travel far if they can't anticipate active shoppers. And there are probably more of our vehicles now in a state of maintaining, rather than building.

The Keystone Meet began in Mike Margerum's garage in Elizabethville, PA, when a small group of Studebaker fun lovers gathered to see if anyone else could use some of the spare parts that had been gathered in the course of their own projects. The transactions were primarily "swaps", with little money changing hands.

I believe it still qualifies as the largest all-Studebaker swap meet and, in spite of the absence of many of the major vendors who have either passed away, been consolidated or simply burned out, anyone in the midst of a project would be hard pressed to find a better opportunity to advance their progress. It would be nice to see the faithful, as well as those who've never been, show up to see what it has been, and help it go out with a bang, rather than a whimper.
    I am saddened to hear about the York Meet ending.

What are the details on Reedsville? When? Where? What?

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    As sad as this is, I'd like to offer an enormous THANK YOU to everyone who has worked so hard for so many years to put on the York Swap Meet. Your efforts have been appreciated more than you know, and more than you'll ever be credited with publicly.

All the best to everyone, and 'looking forward to a bang-up farewell party! BP

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    The decision to end the York Swap Meet in 2017 was not and easy one for the Keystone Chapter to make. However it was one that was made not by the Officers of the Chapter but one that was made by the chapter's membership that attended the last business meeting. It was one that included much discussion, suggestions and more. However, in the end when the vote was taken by the members that were present, it was to end the York Swap Meet. Sometimes it is hard for many to accept the opinions of those who are actually involved in putting the event to together and making it successful, however in the end, it is these folks who have to make these difficult decisions.
    Last edited by Avantidon; 08-22-2016, 05:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    I went to my first York Swap Meet this spring. Planning on going to York next spring. To bad there won't be more...

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    I have been to York a handful of times in a period of over 40 years. My very first trip was probably in the late Seventies or early Eighties. During that trip, I had very little money, and traveled with a group of friends from North and South Carolina. These events have always been exciting to me. Like a little child, at a county fair for the first time...never enough time, or money...and always not wanting to leave, or see the event come to an end.

Even this past spring, my trip to the South Bend Swap Meet, it was the same way. I get so excited, I always suffer from "SENSORY OVERLOAD," making lap after lap around the vendor tables, looking at parts, making mental notes of things I might come back and buy, or making new friends, renewing old acquaintances, buying things I don't need, and, on the way home, remembering the things I forgot to buy.

Ever since my very first York Swap Meet...I always intended to go to the next, but "Life" kept changing my plans. It was my last visit to York, that I looked across the room, and saw, wearing his leather coat, a smiling Weldon Critcher, who eagerly made his way over and gave me a hearty handshake. Little did I know, that would be our last face to face conversation. Like life itself, we never know when these "special" moments, will be the last. For all of us, we should reverence the people, events, and things we cherish. I have a deep appreciation and respect for the SDC members who made this event happen. Once it is gone, I'll still have the memories. I'll try to make the last one...if "Life" allows.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X