Studebaker York Swap Meet ending in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker York Swap Meet ending in 2017

The 44th Studebaker York Swap Meet will be the final meet for the Keystone Studebaker Drivers Club sponsored event.
    This final event will be held March 9,10,11, 2017 at the York Expo Center.York Pa.
    The meet will again be conducted in Horticulture Hall and Old Main Buildings as in previous years.
    Old Main building will be dedicated to Studebaker Parts .
    Outdoor spaces will be avaiable for vendors,car corral, Studebaker parking.
    Horticulture Hall will be home to the Community Craft Show,used book sales,Chinese auction, Keystone Raffle Cars and car displays.Studebaker Parts
    Our Social night will be held at Wyndham Gardens with a $20.00 pre-paid reservation for the Friday Night FAREWELL SHINDIG buffet .Limited seating
    Contact Bob Sheaffer for Space Rental @717 341 3141 ,
    Contact Gaye Liddick for the Friday night SCHINDIG/Buffet 717 439 4730

More details Later

Originally posted by bubbaten View Post
    The 44th Studebaker York Swap Meet will be the final meet for the Keystone Studebaker Drivers Club sponsored event.<snip>

Say it ain't so, Bob!

Comment

This certainly isn't the kind of news We want to hear
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Sorry guys, but vendors have fallen off, costs have increased, our members have gotten older and unable to continue to take the responsibilities of planning and carrying out the event, the internet sales have replaced a lot of swap meet type sales, etc., etc.. Even the national clubs, unless muscle car, exotic, street rod, or "tuners" are also struggling. Also in spite of what we are told by the MSM the economy continues to produce as much money for extras for most people. Sadly, IMHO it just seems that this long time event will now fade into history. Gordon
        Last edited by larkregal62; 08-20-2016, 10:05 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

We've had a long running multi-make swap meet in Wichita that will end next year with a whimper after limping along for years. Same troubles - the volunteers who kept it going for decades is in their 80's now, and no one else stepped up. Then the location changed owners, costs shot up, and then the whole thing is just collapsing from fatigue. It's sad, but seems to be a continuing trend.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Sad but true, Chris. AACA is having the same troubles at Hershey. Fewer vendors every year--fewer attendees also. Many that do attend are from out of country. Whole trend seems to be of lack of interest in anything these days by the younger generation unless it is computerized. Look at Bob Peterson's post==a fantastic opportunity at a give a way price, and no takers. Then if he has to send it out of country or to the scrapper, some on the forum will be quick to denounce him. It is the same kind of criticism Keystone is receiving for ending the SYSM, but none of the complainers are willing to assume the responsibility of making it continue successfully.

Comment

Sad news for sure.

Comment

Is Reedsville next?

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                  Is Reedsville next?
                  I've never been to Reedsville, but I would think it would get a bump up in participation upon York's demise. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Max Corkins will have to make that decision, but I know he has many of the same issues. Max is also our age, and has quite a few health issues. Hopefully, since Steve Grant is a bit younger, and has started his new meet this year, he will perhaps continue successfully---How is the situation in South Bend with those willing to keep it going??

Comment

Just read the 2017 York Meet ad on page 42 of the Aug. TW. The tag line reads:

"The original and longest-running Studebaker Swap Meet in the World"

What's this world coming to anyway

Comment

Originally posted by larkregal62 View Post
                        <snip>---How is the situation in South Bend with those willing to keep it going??
                        Good question! Only one person left that I'm aware of who has worked EVERY Meet held in SB since 1968 ---John Nemeth. Many other of us have retired our snow shovels and moved to sunny, warm Florida

Many Pioneer Auto Club members pitched in to help for the 2007 SB International Meet, but that too is an aging club. http://www.pioneerautoassn.com

Comment

I've attended every Keystone National Swap Meet since 1976, when it was still held in Reedsville; and every Reedsville Meet since the Keystone moved to York. I've had the advantage of living within a couple hour drive. I know my vehicles would have never reached the condition they are in without those gatherings. Not just for the parts; actually minimally for the parts; mainly for the people who are always eager to answer a question or suggest a solution. They are like a two day Studebaker Co-operator live symposium, replete with parts.
                          It has been several years since I had to actively prowl for parts, yet I wouldn't miss a swap meet. But that has a double edge. Vendors won't travel far if they can't anticipate active shoppers. And there are probably more of our vehicles now in a state of maintaining, rather than building.

The Keystone Meet began in Mike Margerum's garage in Elizabethville, PA, when a small group of Studebaker fun lovers gathered to see if anyone else could use some of the spare parts that had been gathered in the course of their own projects. The transactions were primarily "swaps", with little money changing hands.

I believe it still qualifies as the largest all-Studebaker swap meet and, in spite of the absence of many of the major vendors who have either passed away, been consolidated or simply burned out, anyone in the midst of a project would be hard pressed to find a better opportunity to advance their progress. It would be nice to see the faithful, as well as those who've never been, show up to see what it has been, and help it go out with a bang, rather than a whimper.
                          Last edited by rockne10; 08-20-2016, 06:51 PM.
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            <snip>The Keystone Meet began in Mike Margerum's garage in Elizabethville, PA, when a small group of Studebaker fun lovers gathered to see if anyone else could use some of the spare parts that had been gathered in the course of their own projects. The transactions were primarily "swaps", with little money changing hands.

And I'll bet there was plenty of Yuenglings flowing in Mike's garage too!
                            https://www.yuengling.com/over21/ove...2Four_story%2F

Comment

Sad news, though not totally unexpected. I've gone there since moving to the "right" coast, but time marches on. Macy's, J.C. Penney, Sears, on their way out, too. Retail might be gone in 20 years, too, we are about to "out tech" ourselves into history. That being said, I've just circled it on next years calendar. See you there, hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X