No announcement yet.

Studebaker York Swap Meet ending in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folks as a Keystone member, former chapter president and supporter of the Swap Meet the time has come. There is a time and place and there is an end for all good things and next year is it for the York Swap Meet. I personally THANK all Vendors who have supported the meet from its hmble beginnings 44 years ago. I also THANK all Keystone members who have put heart and soul into this meet through the years. Thanks to Tom Erhart, Bob Sheaffer and others who extended the life of the Swap Meet for the past 5-6 years. Through their efforts it lasted a few more years. Now it's time for one last big party in 2017 snd believe me it will be just that. Come and join in the fun. I'll be there will you?
    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      I've attended every Keystone National Swap Meet since 1976, when it was still held in Reedsville; and every Reedsville Meet since the Keystone moved to York. I've had the advantage of living within a couple hour drive. I know my vehicles would have never reached the condition they are in without those gatherings. Not just for the parts; actually minimally for the parts; mainly for the people who are always eager to answer a question or suggest a solution. They are like a two day Studebaker Co-operator live symposium, replete with parts.
      It has been several years since I had to actively prowl for parts, yet I wouldn't miss a swap meet. But that has a double edge. Vendors won't travel far if they can't anticipate active shoppers. And there are probably more of our vehicles now in a state of maintaining, rather than building.

The Keystone Meet began in Mike Margerum's garage in Elizabethville, PA, when a small group of Studebaker fun lovers gathered to see if anyone else could use some of the spare parts that had been gathered in the course of their own projects. The transactions were primarily "swaps", with little money changing hands.
      I have never been a vendor at one of these meets. I have delivered some pre-sold items to various meets. However, I have spent my share of cash at the meets (parts, literature to whole cars). I also attended that first one in Elizabethvile. I have attended many, but not all, in Reedsville, York and South Bend.

I can understand the changing environment and the reasons for discontinuing these meets. In two weeks, I am going to a meeting of another group that is at the point of disbanding. I can understand burn-out. I either ran or was a major part of our SDC chapter annual meet from the beginning. After 23 years, I announced that I was discontinuing my effort in organizing and running the meet after the 25th (two years notice). When it was time for the 26th, I was asked about the particulars for that meet. I replied that I did not know as I was not running it and I did not know who picked up the baton (no one did).
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
        Folks as a Keystone member, former chapter president and supporter of the Swap Meet the time has come. There is a time and place and there is an end for all good things and next year is it for the York Swap Meet.
        Maybe it's time to take another look!?!?

Take a second look at the path our leaders wanted to take this club at the BoD Meeting during the 2000 Madison IM. Just a part of that "new direction" was to "contract-out" our meets. For those of you not familiar with what all "Happened-in-Madison" …and have a collection of old TW issues …take a good look at the minutes of that meeting published in the January, February & March 2001 issues of TURNING WHEELS. And YES, it took 3 monthly issues of TW to cover all that went on in that ONE all-important BoD meeting!!!

I have no opinion one way or the other whether our club should have taken that new direction. Might make for an interesting "what-if" discussion ...now that 16 years have passed.

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post
          And I'll bet there was plenty of Yuenglings flowing in Mike's garage too!
          THAT has never stopped!
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I got to go to one York swap meet over 25 years ago, but my very young daughter kept me from staying long. I always wanted to go back. I guess I better make plans for 2017.
            sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have been to York a handful of times in a period of over 40 years. My very first trip was probably in the late Seventies or early Eighties. During that trip, I had very little money, and traveled with a group of friends from North and South Carolina. These events have always been exciting to me. Like a little child, at a county fair for the first time...never enough time, or money...and always not wanting to leave, or see the event come to an end.

Even this past spring, my trip to the South Bend Swap Meet, it was the same way. I get so excited, I always suffer from "SENSORY OVERLOAD," making lap after lap around the vendor tables, looking at parts, making mental notes of things I might come back and buy, or making new friends, renewing old acquaintances, buying things I don't need, and, on the way home, remembering the things I forgot to buy.

Ever since my very first York Swap Meet...I always intended to go to the next, but "Life" kept changing my plans. It was my last visit to York, that I looked across the room, and saw, wearing his leather coat, a smiling Weldon Critcher, who eagerly made his way over and gave me a hearty handshake. Little did I know, that would be our last face to face conversation. Like life itself, we never know when these "special" moments, will be the last. For all of us, we should reverence the people, events, and things we cherish. I have a deep appreciation and respect for the SDC members who made this event happen. Once it is gone, I'll still have the memories. I'll try to make the last one...if "Life" allows.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I went to my first York Swap Meet this spring. Planning on going to York next spring. To bad there won't be more...
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The decision to end the York Swap Meet in 2017 was not and easy one for the Keystone Chapter to make. However it was one that was made not by the Officers of the Chapter but one that was made by the chapter's membership that attended the last business meeting. It was one that included much discussion, suggestions and more. However, in the end when the vote was taken by the members that were present, it was to end the York Swap Meet. Sometimes it is hard for many to accept the opinions of those who are actually involved in putting the event to together and making it successful, however in the end, it is these folks who have to make these difficult decisions.
                  Last edited by Avantidon; 08-22-2016, 05:08 AM.
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

As sad as this is, I'd like to offer an enormous THANK YOU to everyone who has worked so hard for so many years to put on the York Swap Meet. Your efforts have been appreciated more than you know, and more than you'll ever be credited with publicly.

All the best to everyone, and 'looking forward to a bang-up farewell party! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      I've attended every Keystone National Swap Meet since 1976, when it was still held in Reedsville; and every Reedsville Meet since the Keystone moved to York. I've had the advantage of living within a couple hour drive. I know my vehicles would have never reached the condition they are in without those gatherings. Not just for the parts; actually minimally for the parts; mainly for the people who are always eager to answer a question or suggest a solution. They are like a two day Studebaker Co-operator live symposium, replete with parts.
                      It has been several years since I had to actively prowl for parts, yet I wouldn't miss a swap meet. But that has a double edge. Vendors won't travel far if they can't anticipate active shoppers. And there are probably more of our vehicles now in a state of maintaining, rather than building.

The Keystone Meet began in Mike Margerum's garage in Elizabethville, PA, when a small group of Studebaker fun lovers gathered to see if anyone else could use some of the spare parts that had been gathered in the course of their own projects. The transactions were primarily "swaps", with little money changing hands.

I believe it still qualifies as the largest all-Studebaker swap meet and, in spite of the absence of many of the major vendors who have either passed away, been consolidated or simply burned out, anyone in the midst of a project would be hard pressed to find a better opportunity to advance their progress. It would be nice to see the faithful, as well as those who've never been, show up to see what it has been, and help it go out with a bang, rather than a whimper.
                      I am saddened to hear about the York Meet ending.

What are the details on Reedsville? When? Where? What?
                      54 C Land Speed - 179.644 mph
                      59 Lark Cruiser - 14.58 @ 99.30
                      60 Lark Gasser 1 - 10.82 @ 122.83
                      60 Lark
                      63 Lark Slammed - 11.62 @ 116.3

Comment

Originally posted by wheels777 View Post

What are the details on Reedsville? When? Where? What?
                        One-half page ad on page 23 of this month's "Turning Wheels". That gives more information than I would care to "type" here.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          One-half page ad on page 23 of this month's "Turning Wheels".
                          And on that same page is information about the First Dunkirk, NY Swap Meet, beginning just two weeks from today!
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Less than a week now til our first ever All Studebaker swap meet in Dunkirk NY. Easy access off I 90. Right now I have 22 vendors signed up and still getting more. There will be a car corral too.
                            Attached Files
                            Steve Grant
                            a.k.a. the Madd Doodler
                            www.madddoodler.com
                            Kinzua Region Chapter
                            1881 Grain Wagon
                            1951 Champion Starlight Coupe 1:1 scale model kit
                            1951 Champion business coupe Pro Street (project)
                            1959 Lark 2 dr sdn
                            1963 Avanti R2 4 spd
                            1963 Avanti R2 auto

Comment

Holy h-e-double toothpicks! Say it isin't so.This truly hurts me to my heart,but I can understand the rationale that it is no longer cost-effective for many of the vendors to attend. The first York meet I attended was in '84 or '85 driving my rattletrap '66 Commander.I have only missed a few since that time.
                              I still can't believe it.I look forward to York every year.Well before I get too sappy here, I'll be double-darn sure to be there next year.I hope all the nice people whom I have met there over the years (the ones who are still with us) can attend this final York Swap Meet.Let's go out with a KA-BANG!!

Comment

Had many good times at York. Chuck Naugle would come through South Bend on his way to York from his place in Arizona. Drove my 54 R11 a couple of times. Even drove the Diesel over 3 times. Last year my son and I came in my Dodge Ram diesel. Not as much fun, but a lot more comfort. I also said that would most likely be my last trip to York as age is catching up with me also. I have my memory's of the good times spent there. At last years banquet, I was the Truck Farmer wearing the HEW HAWS.

Comment

Working...
                                X