The Story of Robert Doehler’s Zero Mileage 300SL Gullwing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Story of Robert Doehler’s Zero Mileage 300SL Gullwing

Robert Doehler was in charge of the Studebaker styling crew that developed a full-size clay version of the Avanti.

The Story of Robert Doehler’s Zero Mileage 300SL Gullwing

Knew Bob well and talked to him at length. Have photos of the Mercedes while in his shop in Milwaukee. Also have photos of Bob with friends Buzz and Andy Beckman (now Studebaker National Museum archivist) taken a few years before Bob's passing.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Where is the sl now? I'd love to see it.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        Knew Bob well and talked to him at length. Have photos of the Mercedes while in his shop in Milwaukee. Also have photos of Bob with friends Buzz and Andy Beckman (now Studebaker National Museum archivist) taken a few years before Bob's passing.
        I know Mr Quinn remembers the article in Turning Wheels about Bob and his shop. I gave most of my Turning Wheels away as promotion when I would meet a new Studebaker owner to join up. The article has a picture of light falling on an Avanti showing what Bob called design flaws. The SL was mentioned in the article and how he was putting it together piece by piece.

I don't remember what year/month the article was in Turning Wheels but it would be nice to see it here on the Forum.

Bob Miles

Comment

Here it is...
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thank you Bob Johnstone, very much.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              Richard, if you have a photo of Bob with the gullwing could you send it to richardgallatin@verizon.net? After a thorough online search I came up with the car and the clay models but nothing of Bob.

Comment

Working...
              X