Need advice prior to paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice prior to paint

I am finally getting around to getting my 1964 Daytona painted next month. I tried to find the pertinent gaskets, etc. at SI, but that page wouldn't open. Can someone recommend some place to get all of that stuff. I will need everything except the windshield gasket.
    Also, I want to change the color from Bordeaux red (poor paint job) to as close as I can get to the old Studebaker color Tulip cream. The original color of the car was white.

The heck with their website. Just Google their number and give them a call. They will know what you are looking for, you don't need part numbers.

Comment

I'm leery of shopping at Studebaker International, beside the fact their web site sucks, I called and ordered a catalog and a couple stickers from them and they charged me $15 shipping for it, they won't tell you shipping cost when you order. I thought that was a bit out of line considering the could have put it in an envelope or plain box instead of a priority mail box and sent it book rate for $2.

Comment

The very MOST accurate way to ALWAYS get what you want is, Order their Catalog for $5.00.

Then give the Order Taking person ON THE PHONE (who is NOT Automotive or Studebaker trained) the exact Part Numbers of what you want, and there will be NO disappointments, misunderstandings of Part Names, disagreements, wrong Parts, frustration and expensive Returns ON YOU!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

How could someone possibly mess up a gasket order. Are these people incompetent or something?

Comment

Well lets see, there are Six Body types of '64 Lark Type, GT Hawk, Avanti, Champ and Transtar that is 10 chances that you could order the wrong model, and maybe a hundred chances you could say the wrong Part Name for the various Weatherstrips.

I would bet it happens at least once every day and probably more with people using the Website, plus people using the wrong Part Name on the phone.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have nothing but good things to say about SI and the people at SI. I do my orders exactly as StudeRich suggests and over the last 8 years and dozens of orders I have never encountered a problem with the orders. In addition I have on several occasions sent them a list of part numbers representing items not in their catalog and have found them very willing to search for, and locate, what items they might have but aren't in the catalog. But I list out my order by part number using their catalog, I put the page number beside each number in case I might have copied the number incorrectly, and the description as shown in the catalog. When I call them they are always very easy to talk with and pleasant. Without them our hobby would be much more difficult.
              Nick

Comment

Give Chuck or Chris Collins a call. Studebaker Parts, Phoenix, AZ. 692-995-5311 studebakerparts.com
                If it's available, they have it. If it's not available, Chuck probably knows where one is hiding.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I have ordered a bunch of parts from SI just the way StudeRich described. A couple times they pulled and shipped the wrong part, but they were quick to send the right one when I called and told them about it. I have also had very good luck using their online order site. But I still make my list from the catalog and then enter the P/N I want when I place the online order.

Jim has also been very helpful when I needed a part that I couldn't find in their catalog or the parts book. He knew what I was referring to and found it in a parts book that I didn't have. SI didn't have the part but he still called me back, gave me the P/N I needed and referred me to other vendors that he thought would have it. He was right, the first one I called had what I needed.
                  Wayne
                  "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Sam, when it's time to get the paint use paintref.com/Studebaker for the superseded paint code updates from companies that provide your color, tulip cream.
                    Last edited by T.J lavallee; 08-19-2016, 09:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have ordered on-line from Studebaker International several times over the past few years. I used their website with no difficulty, easy, in fact. I go through my SI catalog, write down all the part #s, then go on-line to the SI ordering site, key a part number into the approprriate box, hit enter, up pops a picture and part description, yup, that's what I want, move on to the next part #. Never any problem, always got my stuff in four days or so. For parts not listed in the catalog, I sent Jim an email with the part # - you'll need a parts book for your car - and Jim always replied within a day, and almost always found the part for me. So, I think Ed Reynolds and all the folks at SI provide a valuble resource to the Studebaker world and they all do a great job.

Rich G

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Post some pictures when done!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X