User Profile ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

No stupid is posting the plate for the world to see. Just one more item I don't need to worry about when the picture is forever to the web.....the other, well, can land you with a pair of cuffs on your wrists, now thats stupid.

Cuffs? I was talking about the license place, silly. What were YOU thinking of?[)]

Karl '62 Hawk GT 4sp

Comment

I don't lock my doors or take the keys out of the switch on the '59. In this little town I live in, nobody is going to steal an Orange Studebaker. And if they do decide to, I don't want them breaking the glass to get it, or hotwiring it to start it.

Matthew Burnette
      '59 Scotsman
      '63 Daytona
      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I don't lock my doors or take the keys out of the switch on the '59. In this little town I live in, nobody is going to steal an Orange Studebaker. And if they do decide to, I don't want them breaking the glass to get it, or hotwiring it to start it.

Matthew Burnette
        '59 Scotsman
        '63 Daytona
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Matthew Burnette
          '59 Scotsman
          '63 Daytona
          Hazlehurst, GA
          Apart from that, I think the locks on C-Cabs are just an inconvenience to thieves, or a device to check honest peoples' honesty.

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar
          3E-6/7-122
          </h5>
          [img]
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:Originally posted by mbstude

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA
            Apart from that, I think the locks on C-Cabs are just an inconvenience to thieves, or a device to check honest peoples' honesty.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            3E-6/7-122
            </h5>
            [img]
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

quote:
              Cuffs? I was talking about the license place, silly. What were YOU thinking?
              The shiny things the cop throws over your wrists for an unreadable license plate....

quote:
              If someone is going to hunt you down through the DMV to steal your car...
              Now that's true dedication.
              Doubtful that would ever happen.
              Locking your doors, and parking your car inside a locked garage.
              Now that's prudent.
              Interesting to see the choices people choose to make (or not to make).
              Jeff
              Shoulda seen some of the people I remember back in the Yahoo chatrooms...
              Some of them you swore had the mentality where wouldn't they think twice about running plates through the DMV, so if necessary I blank out the plates on the web. These people also fell into another group in a related chatroom where they thought it was funny to try and attain whats on the other guy's Desktop on Windows if the other guy did not have anything to protect their PC(and not by the method of looking over their shoulder either). It's not exactly funny hearing stories of these guys going over into that other chatroom and the guys would come over voice(VoIP) and announce whats on their system. Even worse, if you were on your parents' computer and they had their items such as Quickbooks, you know, financial information, bills, and nothing in front of it, the kiddie(usually the type that pulled this dog doo) now had to explain to their parents why their information is completely gone as the computer crashed. Thats why I don't put out an exact name and location as this world has some pretty nasty people, and that door to the forum isn't exactly locked(completely understandable though), so to speak. So in whats supposed to be a proactive manner that I gotta have for my career, I do things on my end to assure piece of mind. This is rudimentary stuff they've suggested since we had the world wide web went bigtime. S.S numbers, names, addresses, personal information, need to be kept to a minimum to protect identity. Yeah, I know the rules now get turned on their ear when I go to meets, as its the human and normal 'ting to use my actual name in public. Hey I even introduce myself when I meet most of 'yall. I just don't use it HERE.

Paranoid? Probably a little. It's also the fact I fairly conservative on this matter, and I don't want people around when I'm not around. Theres more than a few out here like that, mostly farmers. They want a name and a phone call before you step onto their property, or it can be construed, as you know, trespassing. I know full well the plates are in public, I just don't like staring at em in my profile, as the entire(thats ENTIRE) world can view the plates at once. The pictures are still there as most people outside our group have little idea what a Studebaker is. Been doing that since the business around the chatrooms. Wanna bring an audience, hey, give them something to go on. The plates though, that to me is like tossing my S.S card out and taking a picture of it. Lord knows it stands out enough, this makes it just a little less apparent if theirs no identifying number affixed to it, even if its a little. I could leave doors open, locks unlocked, key to the ignition, my MP3 player out on the seat. But since I live in around a major urban area, we have what they call petty crime, among other things. This is not a tiny area in the wide spot in the road where everyone knows everyone else(not anymore at least). Things of value go missing if their out in the open, and thats more of TV's and stereos and not so much Studebakers. I'd rather a broken window than an unlocked door, something traceable. I know, yeah yeah, if a thief is determined enough, but I don't
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

quote:
                Cuffs? I was talking about the license place, silly. What were YOU thinking?
                The shiny things the cop throws over your wrists for an unreadable license plate....

quote:
                If someone is going to hunt you down through the DMV to steal your car...
                Now that's true dedication.
                Doubtful that would ever happen.
                Locking your doors, and parking your car inside a locked garage.
                Now that's prudent.
                Interesting to see the choices people choose to make (or not to make).
                Jeff
                Shoulda seen some of the people I remember back in the Yahoo chatrooms...
                Some of them you swore had the mentality where wouldn't they think twice about running plates through the DMV, so if necessary I blank out the plates on the web. These people also fell into another group in a related chatroom where they thought it was funny to try and attain whats on the other guy's Desktop on Windows if the other guy did not have anything to protect their PC(and not by the method of looking over their shoulder either). It's not exactly funny hearing stories of these guys going over into that other chatroom and the guys would come over voice(VoIP) and announce whats on their system. Even worse, if you were on your parents' computer and they had their items such as Quickbooks, you know, financial information, bills, and nothing in front of it, the kiddie(usually the type that pulled this dog doo) now had to explain to their parents why their information is completely gone as the computer crashed. Thats why I don't put out an exact name and location as this world has some pretty nasty people, and that door to the forum isn't exactly locked(completely understandable though), so to speak. So in whats supposed to be a proactive manner that I gotta have for my career, I do things on my end to assure piece of mind. This is rudimentary stuff they've suggested since we had the world wide web went bigtime. S.S numbers, names, addresses, personal information, need to be kept to a minimum to protect identity. Yeah, I know the rules now get turned on their ear when I go to meets, as its the human and normal 'ting to use my actual name in public. Hey I even introduce myself when I meet most of 'yall. I just don't use it HERE.

Paranoid? Probably a little. It's also the fact I fairly conservative on this matter, and I don't want people around when I'm not around. Theres more than a few out here like that, mostly farmers. They want a name and a phone call before you step onto their property, or it can be construed, as you know, trespassing. I know full well the plates are in public, I just don't like staring at em in my profile, as the entire(thats ENTIRE) world can view the plates at once. The pictures are still there as most people outside our group have little idea what a Studebaker is. Been doing that since the business around the chatrooms. Wanna bring an audience, hey, give them something to go on. The plates though, that to me is like tossing my S.S card out and taking a picture of it. Lord knows it stands out enough, this makes it just a little less apparent if theirs no identifying number affixed to it, even if its a little. I could leave doors open, locks unlocked, key to the ignition, my MP3 player out on the seat. But since I live in around a major urban area, we have what they call petty crime, among other things. This is not a tiny area in the wide spot in the road where everyone knows everyone else(not anymore at least). Things of value go missing if their out in the open, and thats more of TV's and stereos and not so much Studebakers. I'd rather a broken window than an unlocked door, something traceable. I know, yeah yeah, if a thief is determined enough, but I don't
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I never considered not putting my real name and location on my profile. In fact, I am pretty off the beaten path (all interstates except I-8) and probably won't have any forum members drop in unless they want to experience the best winter climate in the country. Hint, hint. Only measureable snow here was 1-2 inches in 1932. If someone feels they need to keep personal info private, more power to them. I only wish I could change my user name to 53 Studebird, but Bob says no can do.

Tim in Yuma, AZ
                  Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                  jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

I never considered not putting my real name and location on my profile. In fact, I am pretty off the beaten path (all interstates except I-8) and probably won't have any forum members drop in unless they want to experience the best winter climate in the country. Hint, hint. Only measureable snow here was 1-2 inches in 1932. If someone feels they need to keep personal info private, more power to them. I only wish I could change my user name to 53 Studebird, but Bob says no can do.

Tim in Yuma, AZ
                    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

• quote:Originally posted by PlainBrownR2

They put you in handcuffs if they can't read your license plate [:0] [?]

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

They put you in handcuffs if they can't read your license plate [:0] [?]

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

• If they assume its stolen and there are no plate numbers to readily be run

Comment

• If they assume its stolen and there are no plate numbers to readily be run

Comment

If they assume its stolen and there are no plate numbers to readily be run
                              And if you just happen to be wearing SUNGLASSES, not only do you get handcuffed, they "Tase" you, besides. Can't be TOO careful now. Especially with someone driving a STUDEBAKER, of all things.

(Jeesh)

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

If they assume its stolen and there are no plate numbers to readily be run
                                And if you just happen to be wearing SUNGLASSES, not only do you get handcuffed, they "Tase" you, besides. Can't be TOO careful now. Especially with someone driving a STUDEBAKER, of all things.

(Jeesh)

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

Working...
                                X