What to do????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do????

After eight long years or replacing floors, body panels, fender patches, the frame and all the interior, this weekend I finished my 53 coupe enough to safely take it for a test drive. I went to the DMV and came home ready to screw on plates and take that long envisioned first ride. I walked into the house as my girlfriend was coming down the stairs. She has an brace from a twisted ankle on the fourth of July, but was getting along pretty good until about five steps from the bottom when she took a header. I consoled her as she sat there on the floor and she managed to sit up on the stairs. After a few minutes she appeared to be OK except for a swelling wrist and elbow. She was a bit sore all over, but we managed to get her comfortable on the couch. Knowing that she was going to be alright but knowing she should still be checked out I was faced with a big decision. Do I take her to the walk in clinic or go for that first ride?
    Bill
    http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
    sigpic

Load er up!! Dan

Comment

Take her to the clinic, of course...IN THE 53!
      Mike Davis
      Regional Manager, North Carolina
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Call dial-a-ride and send her to the clinic. Take the Stude out for a run, no sense wasting good road time setting in the clinic. Have her call you when she's done, citing the fact that you wanted her along on the first ride but didn't want her to needlessly set in a car that might have issues when she needed medical care. Complete the first ride by picking her up at the clinic saying the car checked out and she in on the first trip it took. Be sure to tell her how much you enjoy her being on the first ride and glad she's on the mend.

I haven't got 51 years into my marriage without learning anything. Bob
        , ,

Comment

No way sweetolbob....SHE IS the main focus. Get her taken card of then enjoy the car. Your wife must be REAL patient and understanding or you've never had a crisis. 50 years here too .

Comment

Depends, will her insurance cover an ambulance? Call 911, tell the ambulance driver you were afraid to move her, get in the 53 and follow them to the hospital ER. If you did your work well you'll be able to hold her hand while they cast her up. Then you can carefully lift her into the 53 for the trip home, knowing it will make it.

Comment

I vote with karterfred88, perfect cover story while getting the 53 on the road and still showing a caring attitude for her!

Comment

At least you were smart enough to rule out the emergency room. Cut my finger on the table saw that required four stitches. The bill was initially $4,300 and eventfully lowered to $2,100 after much wrangling. Still $500 a stitch???

No offense to the girlfriend, but between the 4th of July incident and this recent fall do you want her in the newly restored car? She seems kind of accident prone. Just saying.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                  Your wife must be REAL patient and understanding or you've never had a crisis.
                  Probably some of both. She's only been in the hospital seven times in the last two years with heart issues, diverticulitis, bleeding colon, two bladder surgeries and a 7 stitch repair to a thanksgiving morning injury. My guess is it's my insensitivity that continues to drive her to recover so she can return the effort. But thanks for your input.

Bob
                  , ,

Comment

Geezus...... all that in the last 2 years? She got life insurance right?

Comment

Bill, if your wife stumbles on this thread you are DOOMED! Wait on the car. Take care of the wife.
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

This has been an entertaining thread/subject. Only...it should have been saved and posted April 1, 2017. However, some of the responses, if serious, confirms Bob Palma's claim of being "TOO OLD" in another thread. Also, if serious, suggests a loss of moral compass. If NOT serious, it proves we can grow old and still retain a sense of humor.

The closest serious comparison, I can make to this situation, was the time I was doubled over in pain from kidney stones. My wife, a registered nurse, and medical auditor, kept me suffering while thumbing through pages of insurance regulations... to be sure that an emergency room visit did not require Pre-Cirtification!

I survived, and We laugh about it now...but then...there was nothing funny about it.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I stand with John

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

We'll be celebrating 51 years of marriage on August 24th. I love my antique Harley, my dependable old Chevy pick-up and my 59' Lark H/T but my love of family always comes first. I like the suggestion of following your woman in an ambulance with your Studebaker for a shake down run if insurance coverage allows but short of that the shake down cruise can wait. Family first is my creed.

Comment

I walked into the house as my girlfriend was coming down the stairs.

It is not his Wife-yet. Time to move into a Ranch home, avoid the stairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X