1/4 scale design mockup models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/4 scale design mockup models

I'm interested in putting together a list of the known clay 1/4 scale (or smaller) mockups Studebaker used in their design studio. Can anyone help? It would also be good to know which ones still exist. I've seen photos of ones for designs that were never put into production.

Were any scale mockups done for the 1964-66 line? I don't think I've seen any reference to ones of the hawks, either. I'm assuming some must have been made, but am I wrong to think that?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Here are some pictures of design studies Brooks Stevens did for Studebaker. While these Lark prototypes were never produced, the mockups are very interesting. Also, since they were produced by an outside studio, they might still exist in the Stevens' collection. All pictures are from the Brooks Stevens archive at the Milwaukee Art Museum site (highly recommended!): http://archive.mam.org/brooks-steven...ype=highlights
    Attached Files
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Here are some pictures I've saved through the years of various Studebaker 1/4 scale models. Unfortunately, I don't have information on their years, status, etc. I believe the first one is owned by an SDC member. I also think the Avanti one still exists and the Studebaker Museum may have it.
      Attached Files
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Those are great!. The more the merrier.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.rodgers View Post
          Here are some pictures of design studies Brooks Stevens did for Studebaker. While these Lark prototypes were never produced, the mockups are very interesting. Also, since they were produced by an outside studio, they might still exist in the Stevens' collection. All pictures are from the Brooks Stevens archive at the Milwaukee Art Museum site (highly recommended!): http://archive.mam.org/brooks-steven...ype=highlights
          That scale model still exists, and is probably in the SNM. It was in The Brooks Stevens Museum previously.: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Hawk-Prototype

Craig

Comment

They have some excellent clays at that scale at the Auburn Cord Deusenberg museum in Auburn In. Well worth a trip. Where the clays are they also have offices preserved which the designers used.

I loved it with the t squares triangles and french curves like I used to use in Building design.
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Yes, the ACD museum is definately worth a visit, preferably a long visit. When my wife and I visited there a few years ago, I felt like I was in a time warp. GREAT MUSEUM!!! A good tandem visit would be to visit the Studebaker museum too.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Here's one done under the direction of Raymond Loewy. I remember seeing a 1/4 scale model at the old Studebaker Museum in South Bend. Can anyone confirm if this is the one they have? This picture is from the Studebaker 1946-1958: Photo Archive.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by scott.rodgers; 08-13-2016, 05:05 PM.
                Scott Rodgers
                Los Angeles
                SDC Member since 1989
                \'60 Lark HT
                \'63 Wagonaire
                \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Famous shot from the time of 1947 Studebaker introduction. Includes the model above in back. From Studebaker 1946-1966: The Classic Postwar Years.
                  Attached Files
                  Scott Rodgers
                  Los Angeles
                  SDC Member since 1989
                  \'60 Lark HT
                  \'63 Wagonaire
                  \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

More 1/4 scale models from Studebaker 1946-1966: The Classic Postwar Years.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by scott.rodgers; 08-13-2016, 05:29 PM.
                    Scott Rodgers
                    Los Angeles
                    SDC Member since 1989
                    \'60 Lark HT
                    \'63 Wagonaire
                    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

A few more...
                      Attached Files
                      Scott Rodgers
                      Los Angeles
                      SDC Member since 1989
                      \'60 Lark HT
                      \'63 Wagonaire
                      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

I'm surprised at the number of concept clay models. The split window one is unique for the era, as far as I know. Maybe somebody at GM saw it and they used the idea later in the corvette? I'm curious why there is such a lack of studies for models that went into production. Did the management just go from drawings immediately to full scale clay mockups if they expected the design to go into production. Does anyone out there know what the steps were from rough drafts to production at Studebaker?

Comment

In post 11, the top left photo with the model are Kaiser Frazer clays.
                          sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
                          1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
                          1959 4E2 4spd, TT
                          1963 8E28 GSA order
                          1963 8E5 SOLD!
                          1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Working...
                          X