Part number AC 3138 - what's it fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part number AC 3138 - what's it fit?

Can anyone tell me if that's the proper oil filter unit for my 58 President?
    Jim Rostron

AC-3138 fits 61/62 6-cylinder engines. If you still have a V8 in your President, then the answer is no. The important parts would work, but the attaching parts and hoses will be different.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks Skip! would the oil filter housing fit and be adequate? It appears the the oil filter has an element in it that gets changed, do you know anything about that? My main concern is I wan't the original oil filter that looks different than todays filters. I have the system now on my car but with a modern filter. As I'm sure you know they mount on the top of the motor and are very visible. Any other info?

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      AC-3138 fits 61/62 6-cylinder engines. If you still have a V8 in your President, then the answer is no. The important parts would work, but the attaching parts and hoses will be different.
      Jim Rostron

Comment

All Stude oil filters mounted on the top or sides of the engine until mid-62, when the full-flow blocks moved the filter to the lower rear of the engine. If you have an oil filter now that uses a modern canister filter, I guess I'd just stick with it unless you're hung up over authenticity. Am not an expert on 58s, but it looks like your car could have originally come with either the replaceable drop-in cartridge type or the type that uses a replaceable canister type that screws onto a mount attached to the oil filler pipe. Illustrations are in the parts book.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

The 1958's were the FIRST year that the "Modern" spin-on disposable Canister Oil Filters were used (and correct), of course you could special order the Old drop-in Cartridge Type, at the time they were cheaper replacements and Fleets would still use them.

Of course dealers would have lots of the Old Type Cartridge Style in stock from using/installing F3 & F4 Fram Filters with C3 & C4 Elements, as long as they were in business, so either Type could find it's way on any Studebaker.

It sounds like you MAY? have the correct spin-on Filter that takes the Fram PB50 or Wix/NAPA replacement, so you are good to go.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-13-2016, 09:56 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jim: What Skip and StudeRich said: If your '58 has a "modern" spin-on filter, it is probably the original setup on the car and there would be no need to change it. If you could post a photo of it, we could verify, but I'm betting it's what came on the car. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
            X