No announcement yet.

studebaker ac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This car had Air from a 56 president that was wrecked early and the A/C was put in the attic for years, the car was converted to 12 volt and had a Sanden compressor. The car would cool great, but the generator wouldn't keep up with the air and would drain the battery if just driving in town. It had a late 289 block with early heads and 2 bbl intake. The guy i got it from built the car, he wanted to keep it original looking. May he R.I.P. I traded it to Johnnie Wiffer for a couple of GT hawks, dont know where the car is today.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I installed an Artic Car evaporator in my '53 and it looks period appropriate, though Studebaker never offered it that year. I suppose it could have been owner installed after market at the time and been considered acceptable. But I went modern under the hood with a Sanden 508.

A couple years ago we did have a '56 Pontiac Star Chief in the shop with factory in-dash A/C. I wonder when the earliest in-dash models were available; obviously not in a Studebaker.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I know that my rear deck is set up for air from the trunk, meaning that the holes are already there for the vents. This may be the system I would want to go with. There was a 58 Packard here in NJ that had the air in trunk set up. If I could find one of them I would purchase it.
        Jim Rostron

Comment

I know that my rear deck is set up for air from the trunk, meaning that the holes are already there for the vents. This may be the system I would want to go with. There was a 58 Packard here in NJ that had the air in trunk set up. If I could find one of them I would purchase it.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          I can not think of one U.S. Car, there MAY be one or two maybe, Cadilacs or Lincolns that actually HAD Dash incorporated Air Cond. in 1964, doesn't matter because Studebaker like Ford did not.

Did you ever see a '65 Mustang or AMC with Air? Same unit!
          Jim Rostron

Comment

Working...
          X