Hemmings Feb 2008 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemmings Feb 2008 Issue

Wow, 2007 isn't over yet and already I'm getting my 2008 issue...

2 interesting columns in this issue. One on the plans of the EPA to stop selling auto paint to individuals unless you have the proper equipment, including a booth.

The other, giving his opinions on Studebaker's shortcomings...

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

I have not seen the article yet. But alas, our beloved Studebaker's did have issues. Mostly management. I tend to wonder of Ford is not headed down the same path. While I am not a big Ford fan, other than a few select models, mostly diesel with ridiculous pulling power, I would hate to see us lose another "American" car company.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
    58 Packard Golden Hawk
    62 Hawk
    62 Lark
    63 Lark
    64 Lark
    63 Champ

Comment

I have not seen the article yet. But alas, our beloved Studebaker's did have issues. Mostly management. I tend to wonder of Ford is not headed down the same path. While I am not a big Ford fan, other than a few select models, mostly diesel with ridiculous pulling power, I would hate to see us lose another "American" car company.

Former owner/owner with Dad:
      58 Packard Golden Hawk
      62 Hawk
      62 Lark
      63 Lark
      64 Lark
      63 Champ

Comment

Haven't gotten my 02/08 issue yet but if true it's just another way the Auto collector is going to be screwed by an uncontrolable bbranch of the FED Gov.

See you in the future as I write about our past
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Haven't gotten my 02/08 issue yet but if true it's just another way the Auto collector is going to be screwed by an uncontrolable bbranch of the FED Gov.

Comment

Psssst.........over here

Wanna buy some Chromabase? Meet me here tomorrow, bring cash.

Have you any idea how many "body shops" would go out of business just in the Bronx, and upper Manhattan???

Shortcomings? Hell no. Their wheels reached the ground.

Sounds like a re-hash of an article someone wrote about another car company 25 years ago and they just inserted the name Studebaker, since we are now being accepted in the collector hobby.

Comment

Psssst.........over here

Wanna buy some Chromabase? Meet me here tomorrow, bring cash.

Have you any idea how many "body shops" would go out of business just in the Bronx, and upper Manhattan???

Shortcomings? Hell no. Their wheels reached the ground.

Sounds like a re-hash of an article someone wrote about another car company 25 years ago and they just inserted the name Studebaker, since we are now being accepted in the collector hobby.

Comment

The reference here is to Richard Lentinello's excellent, pointed, take-no-prisoners Editorial in the February 2008 Hemmings Classic Car. Richard is Editor-in-Chief of the magazine. He takes to task the EPA mentality that would restrict our enjoyment, and the attendant satisfaction, of doing singular paint work, with proper safety precautions, on individual hobbyist cars at home.

It would violate copyright laws to scan and print that editorial here, so I wouldn't entertain or suggest it. However, I'd strongly encourage everyone to read the editorial when it is available on newsstands, which should be just any day now. (There is a powder-blue 1967 Ford Country Squire station wagon on the front cover...and buy the magazine, for Pete's sake; the guy is trying to help us!)

I've already sent Richard a letter of strong support for his position, and would encourage others to do likewise. I wished him well for taking on those having absolutely zero appreciation of (or respect for) our hobby, and the many positives it brings to our culture. [8D] BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The reference here is to Richard Lentinello's excellent, pointed, take-no-prisoners Editorial in the February 2008 Hemmings Classic Car. Richard is Editor-in-Chief of the magazine. He takes to task the EPA mentality that would restrict our enjoyment, and the attendant satisfaction, of doing singular paint work, with proper safety precautions, on individual hobbyist cars at home.

It would violate copyright laws to scan and print that editorial here, so I wouldn't entertain or suggest it. However, I'd strongly encourage everyone to read the editorial when it is available on newsstands, which should be just any day now. (There is a powder-blue 1967 Ford Country Squire station wagon on the front cover...and buy the magazine, for Pete's sake; the guy is trying to help us!)

I've already sent Richard a letter of strong support for his position, and would encourage others to do likewise. I wished him well for taking on those having absolutely zero appreciation of (or respect for) our hobby, and the many positives it brings to our culture. [8D] BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

There is a Hemmings forum that also addresses this subject.

Here is the link:

http://forums.hemmings.com/viewtopic.php?t=1553

Leonard Shepherd
                    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

There is a Hemmings forum that also addresses this subject.

Here is the link:

http://forums.hemmings.com/viewtopic.php?t=1553

Leonard Shepherd
                      http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Bob, Richard is a friend of the hobby extrodinare and a great friend of Studebakers and the SDC. Now that I know the above reference is to Hemmings Classic Car I will take you up and respod to him also. Over the last year, I have had several conversations with him and we definitely need to support him. By the way he will be in Lancaster for the 44th International Meet next September. We have also invited Patrick Foster and hope to have a book signing session for his new Studebaker book.

Comment

Bob, Richard is a friend of the hobby extrodinare and a great friend of Studebakers and the SDC. Now that I know the above reference is to Hemmings Classic Car I will take you up and respod to him also. Over the last year, I have had several conversations with him and we definitely need to support him. By the way he will be in Lancaster for the 44th International Meet next September. We have also invited Patrick Foster and hope to have a book signing session for his new Studebaker book.

Comment

Bob and ohers, I was trying to be humerous. I do not know which government agency was responsible, but for the last 5 years it has become against the law to sell autobody, paints, plastic filler, and reducers in Westchester County, in New York State. However, you can drive 20 min. north to the next county and purchase all the auto paint you want. One place that I used to use was called Mahopac Mary's Auto Supply. Walk in with a paint code, and ask for the assorted chemistries and go home. There is no way I belive such a ban could work. Maybe in large metropolitan areas, but once you get to rural America who is going to police such a law.

One thing invisible to many is the "auto body" shops in the Bronx and upper Manhattan, some of them turn out some of the finest cars you could imagine. One is on a street parallel to the Cross Bronx Expressway. Everyday there are a minimum of 15-20 cars getting paint jobs. They have one booth, and everyone knows a car just isn't just sprayed in the "booth" and the hung out to dry. For as many cars this guy handles per day he would need a minimum of four booths. Few if most of these small shops can afford booths and the proper material handling equipment.

Comment

Bob and ohers, I was trying to be humerous. I do not know which government agency was responsible, but for the last 5 years it has become against the law to sell autobody, paints, plastic filler, and reducers in Westchester County, in New York State. However, you can drive 20 min. north to the next county and purchase all the auto paint you want. One place that I used to use was called Mahopac Mary's Auto Supply. Walk in with a paint code, and ask for the assorted chemistries and go home. There is no way I belive such a ban could work. Maybe in large metropolitan areas, but once you get to rural America who is going to police such a law.

One thing invisible to many is the "auto body" shops in the Bronx and upper Manhattan, some of them turn out some of the finest cars you could imagine. One is on a street parallel to the Cross Bronx Expressway. Everyday there are a minimum of 15-20 cars getting paint jobs. They have one booth, and everyone knows a car just isn't just sprayed in the "booth" and the hung out to dry. For as many cars this guy handles per day he would need a minimum of four booths. Few if most of these small shops can afford booths and the proper material handling equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X