Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clonelark
    replied
    I was a member of the sedan delivery club when it started in Tulsa street rod mini nats in 1976. I also have a plaque from the sedan delivery club.

Leave a comment:

• DougHolverson
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lark sedal delivery.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1708263

Dang! I almost want. Those early Larks have to be one of the cutest sedan deliveries ever!

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Didn't Coca-Cola (in partnership with LevisĀ®) have a contest in the 1970's for a Ford Van-based Ute, called the 'Denimachine'?

In the US & Canada, it was the full-size Econoline van.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Quentin
    replied

Pictured is the 1975 -6 original Sandman. We never really had many of the bigger F100/Econoline based vans that were customised, most were the sedan delivery based size. Plenty of Volkswagen Kombis though.
    Original advertising posters for the first Sandmans appealed to Australians' affinity with the surf and the great outdoors.
    'It's built for new horizons: powered to take you wherever you get the urge. You make your own frontiers with this baby,' the posters said. 'If you've got the call of the wild, we've got your answer!'
    Holden branded the car 'Son of the beach'; The panel van and ute were perfect for throwing in the surfboards and camping on the sand dunes.
    Custom additions like the shag pile seat covers and floor rugs turned the vehicle into a 'personal pleasure machine' ideal for the drive-in movies.
    'Suddenly your van becomes a personal pleasure machine ... and it won't turn into a pumpkin if you're not home by midnight.'
    'Let the good times roll.'

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Quentin View Post
    Often referred to in Oz vernacular as "shaggin' wagons" (don't ask).
    We know! http://www.vanninmovie.com/

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Quentin
    replied
    Sedan Delivery vehicles are referred to as "Panel Vans" down here. Panel Trucks are generally just called Vans.
    Panel Vans were very popular in the 70's with the youth/surfing culture, and could be purchased from the factory highly optioned.
    Holden (General Motors) produced a special run called a "Sandman" (Chrysler had a "Drifter"), most with V8, 4 speed, special stripes, bucket seats, full instrumentation, big stereos etc. Many threw a mouldy mattress in the back to complete the package. Panel Vans were often seen at the Drive In Movies reverse parked, tailgate open with owner and partner in the back (rarely watching the movie). Often referred to in Oz vernacular as "shaggin' wagons" (don't ask).

Leave a comment:

• Lark Ken
    replied
    Speaking of sedan delivery's does anyone know whether any Lark deliveries remain.

Name:	lark sedal delivery.JPG
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1708263

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Looking at the brochure pictures posted by Richard Quinn, to make best use of available cargo space, this was truly a "one seater." In my youth, I often saw commercial vehicles with "NO PASSENGER" signs. With this vehicle, I suppose if you wanted to ride along, you would have to bring your own seat!

If you had one of these at a show, not only would the judges have to deal with no "back seat," but no passenger seat either. Judging gets worse at "Non-Studebaker" shows, where (especially younger) judges lack knowledge across brand periods and offerings. I have been in shows where judges have questioned the plastic cover on my C-Cab dash, and the lack of a back seat in my Business Coupe. It is bad enough for curious onlookers to ask why you modified the car, but really disappointing for a show judge to compliment you on such a smooth "chop" on the top of your completely stock original car!

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by jclary View Post
    Please...Skip....don't do that...If you did, it would make the rest of us look bad.
    When it comes to screw-ups, my lead is secure.

Leave a comment:

• Lothar
    replied
    Thanks, Mr. Quinn for filling in the details about these unusual sedan delivery vehicles. Also thanks to Roy for explaining the difference between panel vans and sedan deliveries. You guys are great educators! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Here is the rest of the four page showroom catalog on the Sedan Delivery. I also wrote a seven+ page article with numerous photos on the 1939-41 Champion Coupe Delivery and Sedan Delivery in the Antique Studebaker Review for July/August 1998.

Name:	40 sedan delivery p3-4 labeled.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1708228Click image for larger version

Name:	40 sedan delivery p.2 - 3 labeled.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1708229Click image for larger version

Name:	39-40 champ commercial cover copy.jpg
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1708230

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
    Whoops -- sloppy use of terminology catches me again. You'd think at my age, I would defer responding when I don't have time to really think about my answer.
    Please...Skip....don't do that...If you did, it would make the rest of us look bad.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    Actually Skip my Champions are Coupe Deliveries (see photo). So far as I know there are only two surviving 1940 Sedan Deliveries and unfortunately both have been converted to street rods.
    Whoops -- sloppy use of terminology catches me again. You'd think at my age, I would defer responding when I don't have time to really think about my answer.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Yes. Dick Quinn has three of them and recently posted pictures of all of them, side-by-side. I believe Chevy also made a similar vehicle.
    Actually Skip my Champions are Coupe Deliveries (see photo). So far as I know there are only two surviving 1940 Sedan Deliveries and unfortunately both have been converted to street rods.

Name:	composite1.jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1708199

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. Dick Quinn has three of them and recently posted pictures of all of them, side-by-side. I believe Chevy also made a similar vehicle.

Name:	composite1.jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1708199

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    RQ posted some factory photos here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...sedan+delivery

I thought it was three Coupe Deliveries he has; not Sedan Deliveries.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 08-07-2016, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X