The origin of the term "sedan delivery"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The origin of the term "sedan delivery"

I have long been interested in sedan delivery vehicles. I have a friend who had a 1941 Chevy sedan delivery, and a local florist has a 1937 Ford sedan delivery. Both of these vehicles are built on 1/2 ton truck chassis and use truck front clip sheet metal, as are all the later 1940s-1960s sedan deliverys that I have seen. I always assumed that this was the pattern on which all sedan delivery vehicles were built, until I found this ad while cruising the internet:

This is clearly a 1940 Studebaker Champion 2-door sedan with the rear windows removed. Other photos in this brochure show that the rear seat has been removed and a cargo compartment is walled off behind the front seat. It looks like it could be a factory brochure, although it could also be something that a coachbuilding company produced. I don't have the actual brochure, I have just seen pictures on the net. Has anyone ever seen one of these vehicles in the real world? Is this a proto-business coupe? Did other marques or builders make this type of vehicle?
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

Yes. Dick Quinn has three of them and recently posted pictures of all of them, side-by-side. I believe Chevy also made a similar vehicle.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

The definition I have always heard is:
      Built on a truck chassis = panel truck.
      Built on a sedan or station wagon chassis = sedan delivery.

Many folks see a panel truck and call it a sedan delivery, but that's not the way I have always heard it defined.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

RadioRoy is right. I have owned many and built several. Sedan delivery is just that. A delivery vehicle on a sedan chassis. There were some earlier Panel trucks and panel deliveries. Sedan deliveries were one of my favorite builds years ago. I had one show car delivery. If I can find a way to get a picture on here I will post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Yes. Dick Quinn has three of them and recently posted pictures of all of them, side-by-side. I believe Chevy also made a similar vehicle.
          RQ posted some factory photos here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...sedan+delivery

I thought it was three Coupe Deliveries he has; not Sedan Deliveries.

Craig
          Last edited by 8E45E; 08-07-2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Actually Skip my Champions are Coupe Deliveries (see photo). So far as I know there are only two surviving 1940 Sedan Deliveries and unfortunately both have been converted to street rods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	composite1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1708199

- - - Updated - - -

Actually Skip my Champions are Coupe Deliveries (see photo). So far as I know there are only two surviving 1940 Sedan Deliveries and unfortunately both have been converted to street rods.

Name:	composite1.jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1708199
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              Whoops -- sloppy use of terminology catches me again. You'd think at my age, I would defer responding when I don't have time to really think about my answer.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Whoops -- sloppy use of terminology catches me again. You'd think at my age, I would defer responding when I don't have time to really think about my answer.
                Please...Skip....don't do that...If you did, it would make the rest of us look bad.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here is the rest of the four page showroom catalog on the Sedan Delivery. I also wrote a seven+ page article with numerous photos on the 1939-41 Champion Coupe Delivery and Sedan Delivery in the Antique Studebaker Review for July/August 1998.

Name:	40 sedan delivery p3-4 labeled.jpg
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1708228Click image for larger version

Name:	40 sedan delivery p.2 - 3 labeled.jpg
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1708229Click image for larger version

Name:	39-40 champ commercial cover copy.jpg
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1708230
                  Richard Quinn
                  Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks, Mr. Quinn for filling in the details about these unusual sedan delivery vehicles. Also thanks to Roy for explaining the difference between panel vans and sedan deliveries. You guys are great educators! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
                    John
                    1950 Champion
                    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                    Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      Please...Skip....don't do that...If you did, it would make the rest of us look bad.
                      When it comes to screw-ups, my lead is secure.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Looking at the brochure pictures posted by Richard Quinn, to make best use of available cargo space, this was truly a "one seater." In my youth, I often saw commercial vehicles with "NO PASSENGER" signs. With this vehicle, I suppose if you wanted to ride along, you would have to bring your own seat!

If you had one of these at a show, not only would the judges have to deal with no "back seat," but no passenger seat either. Judging gets worse at "Non-Studebaker" shows, where (especially younger) judges lack knowledge across brand periods and offerings. I have been in shows where judges have questioned the plastic cover on my C-Cab dash, and the lack of a back seat in my Business Coupe. It is bad enough for curious onlookers to ask why you modified the car, but really disappointing for a show judge to compliment you on such a smooth "chop" on the top of your completely stock original car!
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Speaking of sedan delivery's does anyone know whether any Lark deliveries remain.

Name:	lark sedal delivery.JPG
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1708263

Comment

Sedan Delivery vehicles are referred to as "Panel Vans" down here. Panel Trucks are generally just called Vans.
                            Panel Vans were very popular in the 70's with the youth/surfing culture, and could be purchased from the factory highly optioned.
                            Holden (General Motors) produced a special run called a "Sandman" (Chrysler had a "Drifter"), most with V8, 4 speed, special stripes, bucket seats, full instrumentation, big stereos etc. Many threw a mouldy mattress in the back to complete the package. Panel Vans were often seen at the Drive In Movies reverse parked, tailgate open with owner and partner in the back (rarely watching the movie). Often referred to in Oz vernacular as "shaggin' wagons" (don't ask).

Comment

Originally posted by Quentin View Post
                              Often referred to in Oz vernacular as "shaggin' wagons" (don't ask).
                              We know! http://www.vanninmovie.com/

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X