Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funny what the passage of time will do:-)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Funny what the passage of time will do:-)

    Just going through some Studebaker files of past receipts of car repairs.

    Came across this one.....................in Jan of 1969 I had the Studebaker dealer install an Avanti air conditioner kit in my Avanti.............the complete cost came to (with tax) $ 447.00. I vividly remember having to leave the car there and was given a car to get around in until the install was finished.

    The one thing he had to wait on was the drivers side carpet fill piece for the under dash unit......seems South Bend's supply was exhausted.

    Since that time I have gone through two additional compressors.............still runs on R12 as I purchased three cases of one pound cans at the now defunct Strauss Auto Stores on sale............something like 59 cents per can!

    Yes sir, the passage of time is something to reflect upon.

  • #2
    In 1969 what would $500 buy you? Just trying to compare that to todays dollar. How much were the parts?

    Comment


    • #3
      $500 in 1969 has the same purchasing power as $3,283.90 today.

      http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....969&year2=2016
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

      17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
        In 1969 what would $500 buy you? Just trying to compare that to todays dollar. How much were the parts?
        Sooo, were we getting a better deal in 69 than now, or now instead of 69 ???

        Comment


        • #5
          I believe the net dealer cost of the kit was around $250.00.....I have a dealer net price sheet someplace just have to dig it up.......but the cost is close. Also......had the dealer repack the rear axle bearings......$35.00. Keep in mind these prices were from a Studebaker dealer in Miami Florida.
          Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
          In 1969 what would $500 buy you? Just trying to compare that to todays dollar. How much were the parts?

          Comment


          • #6
            We almost never saw air conditioning in a car, building or house in the Pacific NW until the mid 80's. At least west of the mountains. The first AC car that I was in was a Buick Park Avenue that we rented in Washington DC in 1986. No arm twisting was necessary to upgrade to an AC car when we got back there in May to find 90/90. For the two of us who were used to 70/30 it was a God send! Most folks west of the mountains still don't bother with AC in their collector cars, or houses for that matter. $3000 in today's dollars seems like a steep price to pay to add AC. I'm sure that in 1969 it was still considered a luxury add on that only a few could afford.

            Comment


            • #7
              So how pricy was factory air in the '60s?
              1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
              1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
              1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
              1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
              1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
              1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

              Comment


              • #8
                Actually according to the CPI data, $447.00 in 1969 would be $2,935.80.....the inflation rate being 556.8%
                Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                $500 in 1969 has the same purchasing power as $3,283.90 today.

                http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc....969&year2=2016

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                  In 1969 what would $500 buy you? Just trying to compare that to todays dollar. How much were the parts?
                  A portable color TV!

                  (But you cannot compare the price of today's electronics to that!!)

                  Craig

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well I know in an Avanti am/fm radio was about $165.00, I do not have the "suggested" factory prices at hand, but factory a/c had to have been in the upper 300 dollar range.
                    Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                    So how pricy was factory air in the '60s?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Going to college in the 60's in Miami Florida demanded getting an a/c unit installed!!!:-)
                      Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                      We almost never saw air conditioning in a car, building or house in the Pacific NW until the mid 80's. At least west of the mountains. The first AC car that I was in was a Buick Park Avenue that we rented in Washington DC in 1986. No arm twisting was necessary to upgrade to an AC car when we got back there in May to find 90/90. For the two of us who were used to 70/30 it was a God send! Most folks west of the mountains still don't bother with AC in their collector cars, or houses for that matter. $3000 in today's dollars seems like a steep price to pay to add AC. I'm sure that in 1969 it was still considered a luxury add on that only a few could afford.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Having spent a lot of time trying to do things under the dash of an Avanti......anyone willing to do the job earns his money!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The owner of the shop "Richard H. Dahl" operated under the name of Trojan Service Center 511 NW 79th Street.......he was a line mechanic for years at Studebaker Miami on NW 2nd Avenue, when they closed the dealership Dick took over the service end at a different location. He had a golden pair of hands!!
                          Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                          Having spent a lot of time trying to do things under the dash of an Avanti......anyone willing to do the job earns his money!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The way I remember it, the price of A/C in the '60's was pushing $500.00 when the Cars were close to $2000.00 to $2600.00 unless fully Loaded V8's.

                            So who, in their right mind being a middle class person like most, would even THINK of spending 1/4 the price of a Car on a Luxury, Accessory that does not get the Car down the road any better?

                            Probably only those that had a Cadillac Fleetwood with Air, as their #1 Car.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              According to PD 64-67 The factory price of an Avanti was $4,445.00 Options which were numerous included A/C @ $325.00 & am/fm radio $154.00
                              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              The way I remember it, the price of A/C in the '60's was pushing $500.00 when the Cars were close to $2000.00 to $2600.00 unless fully Loaded V8's.

                              So who, in their right mind being a middle class person like most, would even THINK of spending 1/4 the price of a Car on a Luxury, Accessory that does not get the Car down the road any better?

                              Probably only those that had a Cadillac Fleetwood with Air, as their #1 Car.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X