Jt1645

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jt1645

Although I would like to buy this engine I have no way to pick it up and transport it. So, here is the listing and some info if anyone is interested. Last I read it was selling for $150. Cash only.

http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/5655900389.html

http://www.studebaker-info.org/JTN/JTNEWS/jtn17.htm

From Jet Thrust News #17

"Kelly Marion’s Hawks An R1 ’63 GT Hawk , 63V2186, was rostered for years with JTN under Kelly’s ownership, then under Greg Scoggin. This Ray Tanner car was Rose Mist, A/T (regular Flightomatic, changed to an HD flightomatic), non package. Kelly found the car under a tree in Cottonwood, AZ and restored it. Greg bought it and sold it. It is in California but the current owner is unknown. The car is sought. Kelly also encountered a Black R1 ’63 GT in an AZ junkyard. The car had dual caliper Dunlop disc brakes. From AZ the car went to Colorado. The VIN is unknown. Kelly has acquired and refurbished R1 engine JT1645 for use in '62 4-speed GT."

Also, information as to what car it came from.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/JTN/JTNEWS/jtn12.htm

joedcu2@aol.com JT1645 out of 63V20724 Daytona Hardtop

Good luck to whoever gets this gem.

Len

And the think that I was in Minden NV. last Tue. the price is right for sure and I lost more than that in the slots when I was there having a bite to eat. years back I knew Greg Scoggin's and his rose mist 63 GT it was damaged when he got it or right after, he lived in Modesto Ca. at the time, right after getting out of the Army, I know he let the car go but to who I don't know.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

From Jet Thrust News #17

"Kelly Marion’s Hawks An R1 ’63 GT Hawk , 63V2186, was rostered for years with JTN under Kelly’s ownership, then under Greg Scoggin. This Ray Tanner car was Rose Mist, A/T (regular Flightomatic, changed to an HD flightomatic), non package. Kelly found the car under a tree in Cottonwood, AZ and restored it. Greg bought it and sold it. It is in California but the current owner is unknown. The car is sought. Kelly also encountered a Black R1 ’63 GT in an AZ junkyard. The car had dual caliper Dunlop disc brakes.

What are "dual caliper Dunlop disc brakes"?

Comment

Caliper on both sides of disc:

Comment

That engine already sold.

Comment

Any idea who has it now?

Comment

The Ad is still running, I wonder if the SOLD info is not up to date?
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I am 3 years new to Studebaker can someone give the history on this engine for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gmannix View Post
                  I am 3 years new to Studebaker can someone give the history on this engine for me.
                  Hi welcome to the SDC Forum, I wish I was better at using the Search Engine we have built into our Website to find the numerous prior posts with a lot of detail on Jet thrust and Avanti high performance Studebaker V8's.

But in a nutshell, this PARTICULAR ENGINE is not really "Special" or anything, it is just a Stock Avanti Engine, as used in '63 and '64 Lark Types and Hawks so ordered with the "Jet Thrust" 289 un-supercharged optional high performance Engine.
                  A JTS would be the Supercharged version.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	63GTWhiteR1Eng.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1708178 Here is a '63 GT Hawk with the R1 289 (JT) Engine Option.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 08-06-2016, 03:28 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I contacted the owner shortly after Kelly passed away. He had made arrangements to buy the engine and I had to call him. The engine does not have the R1 Heads on it, it has 56 President standard heads. That is why Kelly sold it in the first place and then realized why it would not run well when he was in Flagstaff.

Last I talked to the owner, he was relocating to Phoenix and planned on bringing it with him so Kelly could pick it up. He may still do that but I have spoken since the first call I made. If anyone wants it, just keep in mind to ship that engine anywhere will be more expensive that the cost to purchase it.

Bob Miles
                    Tucson AZ

Comment

Anytime you buy an engine and need to ship it. Pallet it, strap it and have it taken to a loading dock for "dock to dock" shipping. (drained of fluids, of course). Thats the cheapest way to go.
                      sals54

Comment

Wow !!, Does it come with the box ??

Comment

Working...
                        X