Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here collect Studebaker Promo items?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here collect Studebaker Promo items?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Studeba...IAAOSwbsBXjkTe

That's cute, and I hope a Lark owner will wind up buying it. I have a red & white 56J, dealer promo I found at the Pomona Swap Meet many years ago. It is sitting on the mantle, about 10 feet from me at the moment. It will always have its special place there, where I can look at it often.

Comment

I have all years of Studebaker promos, except the 1934 truck and the 1936 car. I've been looking for them for a long time. You have to be carful because there are some reproductions in the later years.
      Klif
      55 Speedster/Street Machine
      63 Avanti R2
      64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
        I have all years of Studebaker promos, except the 1934 truck and the 1936 car. I've been looking for them for a long time. You have to be carful because there are some reproductions in the later years.
        Klif
        What should one look for to spot a re-pop? Who produced these for Studebaker?

Comment

The Originals were JoHan USA with a Friction Motor, they were completely Detailed with real chrome trim, not a Kit.
          I am referring to the 1959 and on Promo Models, not sure who made the earlier ones.

This is NOT, it is either a cheap off-shore Reproduction or one that someone customized to Black out all the Chrome Trim.

Check this other eBay Ad out:

http://tinyurl.com/jx8ys8j

Rambler had some of the Features noted on the bottom of their Jo-Han Promo, and One is the SAME Name that Studebaker used!
          Also note the Friction Motor.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 08-06-2016, 02:29 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The plastic windows are a good way to discern real from repro. That Rambler on the ebay link looks to be the real McCoy.

Comment

I built the Jo-Han model a number of years ago. It was a kit, which I had to paint and assemble. There wasn't any separate chrome trim, so I carefully painted the molded trim with silver paint. If I do say so, it came out very well. Still have the model.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Here is my 56J dealer promo: Click image for larger version

Name:	56J Promo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1708180Click image for larger version

Name:	56J Promo 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1708183
                Attached Files

Comment

I'd like to reinforce Rog's comments about his Jo-Han model he built. I also built the same model around the mid-70's (I joined SDC in '73). The model came in a dark blue with black tires, clear front windshield/vent windows and chrome wheel covers, bumpers, grille and head/signal lights. Rear tail lights were red plastic.

To assemble the model, I had to hand paint the side trim, door handles, keyholes, taillight housings, Studebaker lettering on the trunk lid, gas cap handle, back up light frames, hood ornament, horn ring, radio/instrument rings, windshield frame and wiper arms and front vent window frames in silver. I painted the convertible top boot in cream. The seat inserts, inside door contrast trim and steering wheel trim were also painted in cream. I also painted the wheel cover centers in red with a silver stylized S in the center.

The model turned out well and it still looks good today. I won a 1st place award at the 2008 International Meet at Lancaster, PA.

Let me re-enforce Rog's comment that Jo-Han built these kit models in the '70s and ours, as well as the one pictured above, WERE NOT factory Promo's. They were Jo-Han produced kit models for the car builders and hobbists among us. Wish I had the knowledge to post a photo, but this old man has forgotten how.

Frank Drumheller
                  60S-W6
                  1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck

Comment

JO-HAN did make 1962 promotional models. I have the black convertible and the white 2 door hardtop with red and white interior. The only chrome is on the bumpers, grille, headlights and wheel covers.

They do not have the friction drive like the 1959 and 1960 models.
                    Bob Langer
                    Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      The Originals were JoHan USA with a Friction Motor, they were completely Detailed with real chrome trim, not a Kit.
                      I am referring to the 1959 and on Promo Models, not sure who made the earlier ones.

This is NOT, it is either a cheap off-shore Reproduction or one that someone customized to Black out all the Chrome Trim.

Check this other eBay Ad out:

http://tinyurl.com/jx8ys8j

Rambler had some of the Features noted on the bottom of their Jo-Han Promo, and One is the SAME Name that Studebaker used!
                      Also note the Friction Motor.
                      Thanks for the information StudeRich and the link.

Comment

The example in post #1 was made by X-EL in the USA, Circa 1979. They made 4 colors each of the 1962 2 Dr H/T and the Convertible. They were copies made from the JoHan molds. The X-EL issues had smooth inner wheels compared to the 'ribbed' JoHan originals and the X-EL chassis were marked 'JoHan'. These X-EL examples are hard to find today. stupak

Comment

Originally posted by studelark View Post
                          I'd like to reinforce Rog's comments about his Jo-Han model he built. I also built the same model around the mid-70's (I joined SDC in '73). The model came in a dark blue with black tires, clear front windshield/vent windows and chrome wheel covers, bumpers, grille and head/signal lights. Rear tail lights were red plastic.

To assemble the model, I had to hand paint the side trim, door handles, keyholes, taillight housings, Studebaker lettering on the trunk lid, gas cap handle, back up light frames, hood ornament, horn ring, radio/instrument rings, windshield frame and wiper arms and front vent window frames in silver. I painted the convertible top boot in cream. The seat inserts, inside door contrast trim and steering wheel trim were also painted in cream. I also painted the wheel cover centers in red with a silver stylized S in the center.

The model turned out well and it still looks good today. I won a 1st place award at the 2008 International Meet at Lancaster, PA.

Let me re-enforce Rog's comment that Jo-Han built these kit models in the '70s and ours, as well as the one pictured above, WERE NOT factory Promo's. They were Jo-Han produced kit models for the car builders and hobbists among us. Wish I had the knowledge to post a photo, but this old man has forgotten how.

Frank Drumheller
                          60S-W6
                          1948 M16-52 Boyer-bodied fire truck
                          Frank, I feel your pain. I too still have not figured out how to post pictures on this site. I'm also an old guy, but love my Lark. Thanks for pointing out that the JoHan models were not factory promos. It's interesting that most of the Jo Han models were cars built by the independent makers.
                          Rog
                          '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                          Smithtown,NY
                          Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo-Han they made 62 promotionals and kits well after 62 as long as they sold i like to buy the company

Comment

Working...
                            X