Exporting nonTitled Antique: US Customs required paperwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exporting nonTitled Antique: US Customs required paperwork

US Customs web site says for a car that was never titled by the state (a 1926 Chrysler from Georgia in his case), you need

1) Bill of Sale, and
    2) Letter from Georgia stating that new cars older than 1963 were never titled.

However, other people are saying I need a title.

I know it is easier with a title so I'm thinking a) people are really meaning "it's better if you have a title" than you actually "need" a title, or b) they are trying to sell me their title service.

Actually, I should contact the Agent which will actually do the exporting - they may know exactly what is required.

But I do need some kind of guidance at this time.

Thanks
    Tom

US Customs web site says for a car that was never titled by the state (a 1926 Chrysler from Georgia in his case), you need

1) Bill of Sale, and

I know it is easier with a title so I'm thinking a) people are really meaning "it's better if you have a title" than you actually "need" a title, or b) they are trying to sell me their title service.

Actually, I should contact the Agent which will actually do the exporting - they may know exactly what is required.

Thanks
    Tom

US Customs web site says for a car that was never titled by the state (a 1926 roadster from Georgia in his case), you need

1) Bill of Sale, and

Thanks
    Tom

Take the Darn Motor out and transmission and export it as spares
    Put the motor an trans in a separate crate and put the whole lot in a 20ft container
    End of Story
    Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by fiveftsix View Post
      Take the Darn Motor out and transmission and export it as spares
      Put the motor an trans in a separate crate and put the whole lot in a 20ft container
      End of Story
      Geoff
      I don't think that will work, just get a title and ship the car with a bill sale and title.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

[QUOTE=fiveftsix;1005318]Take the Darn Motor out and transmission and export it as spares
        End of Story
        Geoff[/QUOTE

The problem with that is some countries won't allow you to licence it for road use.
        pb

Comment

Where is going from and to?
          When importing INTO the UK - you must have title and bill of sale for customs clearance - hope it helps.
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

In Minnesota, anyway, there is a way to apply for a title for a vehicle that never had one. In my case it was an M5 -- farm trucks often didn't have titles. I believe they did a cursory search against the VIN and when it came up blank they granted me a title. What helped me out was the fellow that I bought it from was a municipal employee in a small town. He actually applied for the title himself and the we transferred it to me. He went down to City Hall where the city clerks were also the DMV clerks. They knew him and knew he wasn't a scammer so they were happy to fill out the application with him. If you live in a small town I'd go that route. If you know someone who is prominent in a small town and can have them take you to the counter, do that. Otherwise I would go to the nearest AAA on a slow day where you may find the clerk is willing to chat about how to fill out that kind of paperwork. I'd avoid the DMV office which will be full of people renewing licenses and registrations. Nobody there is going to want to waste their time on this kind of foolishness!

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              I don't think that will work, just get a title and ship the car with a bill sale and title.
              Of all my years following this forum, I know of no other individual, who's credibility, I would trust more on this subject.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Latest I've found:

Looks like I need a title:

BoS and any old tag reg will do the job for a title - local messenger service said BoS and VIN# tracing "may go through."

Contacted a "Title Service" outfit and for $750, they can get a tile in Maryland in my name with just the BoS. They also said as of 1/1/2016, CBP wants titles for a car in pieces - sounds like CBP is like TSA or ATF - they do as they please since they evidently write the regulations too and answer to no one in that regard.

Interestingly, GA responded to my email inquiry with a MV20 form which I think can get vehicle registration information returned. But if it doesn't come back in the BoS's name, that is a problem - but then that still doesn't prove anything since the car could have been registered in another state - you'd have to do an inquiry for all states to cover the bases (!)

I guess that's why it's $750.

Comment

Check out floridafasttitle.com. they were able to get me a title for around $500 and t h at included fees and sales tax.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

United States regulations now REQUIRE using a broker to export ANY motorized vehicle -- car, bus, ATV, whatever. So, contact a broker and let him/her handle the paper work. (Just hope and pray they do it correctly the first time!)
                    Bill Jarvis

Comment

Working...
                    X