Name:	Mob Car1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1751472 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mob Car2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1751473

I've been watching the TV show "The Making of the Mob" and I have seen what appears to be a few Studebakers. This is the story of the Chicago Mob activity around the Al Capone era. It's pretty interesting but the cars used in the filming are driving me crazy. It's bad enough that I see Model A Fords during the period that they identify as 1924. And even some early 30s cars, while certainly distracting, are tolerable. But when the first car pictured here, no older than 1939 is included in the early 20s segment, I thought I would lose my mind.

Forward to 1929 in the story line and they show a scene of Al Capone leaving town with this obviously 50s car whizzing past. Even at high speed it is clearly not a car built in the 20s. I still want to watch it because it is interesting but I think my wife is getting tired of my fussing. I keep stopping it to take these screen grab photos. And these are just the worst violations. They had another scene from 1929 that showed several 40's cars in it. It is so distracting.

Anybody else notice this? Can someone please share my outrage!
    Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Jon, I have not been watching this show. I find it peculiar, however, that the show's producers would be so careless about a thing like this. Most are known for being real sticklers about getting the backgrounds and props exactly right. It sounds like some shoddy detail work. I'm sorry to hear it is such a distraction for you. It no doubt would be for me as well.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
      Forward to 1929 in the story line and they show a scene of Al Capone leaving town with this obviously 50s car whizzing past.
      Obviously, like Studebaker, Al Capone was also 'ahead of his time'.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
        Jon, I have not been watching this show. I find it peculiar, however, that the show's producers would be so careless about a thing like this. Most are known for being real sticklers about getting the backgrounds and props exactly right. It sounds like some shoddy detail work. I'm sorry to hear it is such a distraction for you. It no doubt would be for me as well.
        That's what gets me. I've never seen such careless work before. Usually, I get a kick out of finding errors. The Model A Ford in the 1924 segment is an example that amuses me. But to see cars that are several decades newer no longer is amusing. It becomes distracting to the point of irritation. I will still watch the show but I need to take my chill medication first.

Now I'm curious to see if they can get any worse than an early 50s car in 1929.
        Jon Stalnaker
        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
          Obviously, like Studebaker, Al Capone was also 'ahead of his time'.
          Funny, that's what my wife said. He DID have a lot of money......
          Jon Stalnaker
          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Mob connections?...I've been wondering about you, now I know!
            Originally posted by Sdude View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]56956[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]56957[/ATTACH]

I've been watching the TV show "The Making of the Mob" and I have seen what appears to be a few Studebakers. This is the story of the Chicago Mob activity around the Al Capone era. It's pretty interesting but the cars used in the filming are driving me crazy. It's bad enough that I see Model A Fords during the period that they identify as 1924. And even some early 30s cars, while certainly distracting, are tolerable. But when the first car pictured here, no older than 1939 is included in the early 20s segment, I thought I would lose my mind.

Forward to 1929 in the story line and they show a scene of Al Capone leaving town with this obviously 50s car whizzing past. Even at high speed it is clearly not a car built in the 20s. I still want to watch it because it is interesting but I think my wife is getting tired of my fussing. I keep stopping it to take these screen grab photos. And these are just the worst violations. They had another scene from 1929 that showed several 40's cars in it. It is so distracting.

Anybody else notice this? Can someone please share my outrage!
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

Jon, these kinds of anachronisms drive me batty, too. It's one thing when the Batman movies do it intentionally as part of the ambiance, but another entirely when its just carelessness. Thanks for the warning!
              Mike Davis
              Regional Manager, North Carolina
              1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

It's bad enough that they can't get the era of the cars correct but they committed the ultimate sin. They had a snitch mobster in Vegas get into a 37 studebaker and made it difficult to start. That was bad enough but then they had to go and blow the car up just to kill the guy. They should have killed him in a Ford.
                Jon Stalnaker
                Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Yesterday morning, I was channel surfing while taking my time with breakfast. I came across an old western movie. Don't recall the name of the movie, but I believe it was released in the mid-'50's. Like most of them, it showed a huge herd of very well fed, plump, cattle. Only thing, there was hardly a blade of grass in sight. Great scenery of those odd shape rock outcroppings, cliffs, & bluffs...but not a landscape any sane person would use for a farm or ranch.

Not knowing much about filming, I'm guessing that, by the 1950's, it was getting difficult to find enough land to allow for wide shots without tire track filled dirt roads, utility poles, power lines, and other objects betraying the time period. I'm amazed at how many of these films made it without showing con trails crisscrossing the sky.

You would think, that with all the computerized technology available today, many things can be computer generated and much corrected/edited by computer. However, I don't know of an "APP" to offset laziness, indifference, and stupidity.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                  X