Radiator Cap Pressure for 57 Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Cap Pressure for 57 Hawk?

I just had my radiator for the 57 Hawk repaired, had a leak along the top seam and the inlet pipe. He told me it would be better to run a lower pressure cap, around 7 psi, with the nearly 60 year old core it'd be less likely to spring any more leaks or have the tanks bulge out.
    I've searched some threads and find that the 55 and earlier ran a 7 with the deeper neck but switched to 13 after that. My question, will the cooling be adequate with the lower pressure cap? And what cap do I need when going to my local FLAPS? Hopefully something I can get at NAPA.

All a pressure Cap does is Raise the boiling point of the coolant, it will not affect the Cooling System at all.

Note the size of your Rad. opening or old Cap, it is the Older Car LARGE size, not a tiny little New Car Cap.

Buy a Stant 7 Lb. 3/4 Inch reach Cap if you can find one, the Studebaker Vendors carry them in stock at: http://studebakervendors.com

One of the NAPA 7Lb. Caps is: BK 7031411, I think it may be the correct 3/4 Inch Depth, the Website does not say, but it should work fine.

UPDATE: correction in Maroon.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-03-2016, 11:23 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      All a pressure Cap does is lower the boiling point of the coolant, it will not affect the Cooling System at all.
      A pressure cap raises the boiling point of the coolant.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I use 7lb caps on both my 62 GT Hawk and my 63 Avanti on the recommendation of my radiator guy. Neither engine overheats or spits coolant out of the overflow tube with the 7lb cap. I know for sure that your local NAPA dealer has a 7lb. cap on the shelf or can get one for you. The Stant number for the 7lb. cap is R7. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
          I use 7lb caps on both my 62 GT Hawk and my 63 Avanti on the recommendation of my radiator guy. Neither engine overheats or spits coolant out of the overflow tube with the 7lb cap. I know for sure that your local NAPA dealer has a 7lb. cap on the shelf or can get one for you. The Stant number for the 7lb. cap is R7. Bud
          Thanks for the help. Sounds like the 7lb cap should work, appreciate the part #'s to look for. I don't want to pay freight if buying from one of our vendors so FLAPS it is!
          to

Comment

Stant 10228 for 7 psi and 3/4" neck. Stant 10328 is same spec with Lev-R-Vent. Carquest, Advance Auto, Amazon, etc. has them.
            Cliff
            Last edited by cliffh; 08-03-2016, 09:32 PM.
            sigpic
            54 Commander Coupe driver
            53 Commander Hardtop project
            SE Washington State

Comment

There are coolant additives out there that reduce the temperature.
              I used a product from NAPA, it reduced the temperature 15 degrees.
              This is especially helpful while sitting in line for a car show...........

Comment

I use Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost in the cooling systems of all of my cars. I don't know if it lowers the coolant temperature as the thermostat will control the temperature, but I know that none of my engines run hot either. Bud

Comment

Some engines NEED the high pressure to prevent nucleate boiling in hot spots in the cylinder heads that can eventually lead to head cracking.
                  Early SAABs were famous for cracked cylinder heads. A local independent specialty shop felt the root cause was lost cooling system pressure due to pressure cap issues.

Not saying an iron headed Studebaker would suffer that fate with the reduced pressure cap.

Has anyone found a cracked V8 Studebaker head, even in high performance service?

Comment

Quote: "Some engines NEED the high pressure to prevent nucleate boiling".

I have never seen a Nuke Powered Stude. so we don't need to worry!

Nucleation is the first step in the formation of either a new thermodynamic phase or a new structure via self-assembly or self-organization. Nucleation is typically defined to be the process that determines how long an observer has to wait before the new phase or self-organized structure appears. Nucleation is often found to be very sensitive to impurities in the system. Because of this, it is often important to distinguish between heterogeneous nucleation and homogeneous nucleation. Heterogeneous nucleation occurs at nucleation sites on surfaces in the system.[1] Homogeneous nucleation occurs away from a surface.

OH Good! NOW I get it!
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-04-2016, 11:44 AM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X