Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 front seal conversions

Hey guys,

I was told by a few people to do the Front seal to neoprene conversion on my 259 v8. Have the front timing cover machined and make it easier for removal and install if it is to leak in the future...

Has anyone had luck with these conversions?

I had been emailing with Mark from MDS Engine Service in Texas on doing this but have not been able to reach him by phone or email this past week... (does anyone know Mark and could relay my message to him on wanting to order the set up? or know if he is on vacation?) I don't want to be a bother, but my engine builder is waiting on me to get these last parts so we can start the re assembling everything by early next week.

Thanks...

Doug
    Last edited by 63avanti.; 08-01-2016, 06:10 AM.

front seal

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine done.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1708093

I just did the front seal conversion, no machine work involved. You have to purchase the speede-sleeve and the seal. Sleeve comes with a tool to drive it on. My front seal hasn't thought about leaking a drop of oil since. very easy to install, getting that harmonic balancer off was a PITA!
    sigpic

Comment

I have all mine done by Invar Vik in Montana. See the list of advisors at the beginning of the Co-Operator column in Turning Wheels for Ingvar's contact info.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I converted the timing cover on my '51 Land Cruiser. I purchased an, already converted, timing cover from Lionel Stone, years ago, before his tragic accident. A fellow SDC member remarked that I had "overpaid" for the cover, but, for me, it was a blessing. It solved a problem, and eliminated the embarrassing smoke trail driving down the road.

However, due to my incorrect/ignorant assumption, that all these V8 engines were alike. The project required more work than I had assumed. The 232 engines have the fuel pumps mounted on the oil filler tube. I believe I merely asked Lionel to send me a "V8" timing cover. Lionel sent me an aluminum timing cover, with the neoprene seal. I removed the water manifold from my engine, crankshaft pulley, etc., and the old pressed steel timing cover. Not until then, did I notice the big difference in the timing covers.

The new aluminum cover had the mounting boss, and hole for a fuel pump. First thing was to fabricate a "block-off" cover, and gasket, for that hole. Once that was done, I installed the cover on the engine. Everything lined up and mounted perfectly. The crank balancer, pulley, etc. was reinstalled. Proud of my work, I was ready to reinstall the water manifold. That was when I found out that the original 232 water manifold would not fit over an aluminum timing cover with the later fuel pump mount.(again) So...I had to rob a later model water manifold off of a spare 259 V8. It was more work than I had expected, but ended up working great. To this day, I don't know if those earlier timing covers can be converted. If someone knows, perhaps you could share this with the rest of the folks here, who might benefit. Luckily, I had the resources to work around the problems I encountered. Others might not be so fortunate.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by StudebakerGene View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]56882[/ATTACH]

I just did the front seal conversion, no machine work involved. You have to purchase the speede-sleeve and the seal. Sleeve comes with a tool to drive it on. My front seal hasn't thought about leaking a drop of oil since. very easy to install, getting that harmonic balancer off was a PITA!
          Pretty motor, but I was hoping to see a pic of your installed seal. I am sure its somewhere in that pic though

Comment

Thanks for the replys. Was able to get back in contact with Mark and ordered the conversion.

Comment

seal

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160313_172036758 (3).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1708094

The only picture I took of the cam gear etc. exposed. Once you get it all "splayed" open, the hard work is done. I was cautioned to fill the oil grooves in the crank with a hardening permatex, which I did. I was told that this keeps the sleeve from deforming due to the void--- good insurance!
              sigpic

Comment

I did a machined version on mine. I did a tech. and it's on here somewhere and on Bob Johnstones, in a step by step.

Comment

Working...
                X