parts suppliers for 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• parts suppliers for 1950 Champion

Today I looked at a 1950 Champion 4 door, very much like the one I had back in high school in the early 60's. As I get ready to negotiate a price, I'm trying to find information on parts availability and pricing.

The car has been off the road at least 10 years (that is how many years taxes are due). It has been in the current shop for 6 of those, where they rebuilt the engine (hopefully with real parts). The owner is in financial trouble and doesn't have the money to pay for the work done, much less finish it.

I know I will have to completely strip the layers of paint and bondo.

To start with, I need the two lower grill inserts, plus the bullet ring and headlight rims. Also would want to find an original transmission, since the current owner replaced it with a Maverick transmission (has not yet cut the driveshaft).
    Attached Files
    Richard's Cars
    Selection of the Right Motor Oil for classic cars
    Selection of the right transmission oil
    How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

There are still many Post war Studebaker Parts in stock in (Studebaker) Indiana; South Bend, IN USA and also many, many more Studebaker Vendors here: http://studebakervendors.com

There are even a few 1950 Champion ONE YEAR ONLY peculiar Steering and Suspension Parts left, BUT not nearly as many as the far superior 1951 to 1966 Steering and Suspension System.

Just a hint that '51 Champions are much better.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Richard,

None of the stuff that you need is hard to find. The transmissions are everywhere. Join the SDC and start reaping the benefits of having twelve thousand friends from around the world, many of whom have the parts that you need.

Comment

Thanks. One of the things I hate about cars that are theoretically restored is parts substituted from other cars for no reason. I sometimes upgrade the seating, always add seat belts, but like it basically the same or at least representative. (On the 60 Corvair I used a 61 rear grill when I couldn't find a 60). Of course my Mini is an exception: a combination of a half dozen different years and options, but all Mini.

Now to see if he understands what it is worth (considering he owes almost $1000 in back taxes)(and what he owes the shop).
        Richard's Cars

Comment

Sent you a PM Richard.

Comment

I have 2 original transmissions in Arizona. One is a standard 3 speed and the other is 3 speed with overdrive. One came from a 50 Champion Starlight Coupe and the other from a 50 Champion Convertible.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I will keep that in mind. Not hard to get from there to here. (Most of my Mini parts came from the UK, and most of the Corvair parts from the US.)
              Richard's Cars

Comment

We are still looking for the owner. No one home and does not answer the phone. He has a farm, so may be out there.
                Between work done on the Studebaker and another vehicle, he owes the owner $4200, which is more than this car is worth, specially considering the $1000 he owes the gov't in back taxes.

So the saga continues. At least I know that if we get seriously close, I can tell the shop to keep the transmission. I have not worked it to a point yet of asking how much of the $4200 went into the Studebaker, but I think all they did was the engine, and that's only a few hours of work and a few parts.
                Richard's Cars

Comment

Owes the government $1000 in back taxes for a car that wasn't even on the road just isn't right. It's time for your people to protest. Do you have a boat load of tea you can dump into the ocean?
                  My friend just had to file some papers stating the car was layed up for repairs to avoid paying 3 years of back taxes.

Comment

You have two choices here. Declare the car dead and turn in the papers and tags, therefore never being able to register it again or sell it, or keep paying the taxes and inspection fees. The taxes get adjusted for inflation, but they don't add penalties (yet). If you don't get it inspected one year, the next year they charge you for the missed inspection and a fine for not having paid it. The fine is twice the fee.
                    Richard's Cars

Comment

Well, this project is dead. Owner needs cash, so he says it is for sale, but bottom price $6000. Add $1000 in back taxes and it is not worth close to that. I was thinking $500 plus taxes, he thinks its worth $10,000 as it is, needing everything it needs.
                      Richard's Cars

Comment

The owner maybe wandered through the loco weed patch. LOL
                        Have the front fenders been modified? The headlamp area doesn't look oval enough for the correct rims to fit.

Comment

Well Richard we can clearly see that Bolivia is NOT the place you want to go if you are a Car Guy. They are terribly Car unfriendly!
                          They must be keeping everyone except the Upper Class in Rickshaws and Bicycles.

I am sorry your Studebaker dream did not materialize. Shipping one from here would be way cheaper than that Guy's "Deal"!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Yes, Unfortunately, since the Vice President bought the Toyota distribution, We have been restricted to narrowing imports and now only one year old used cars. It's gone down my a year every year.
                            Richard's Cars

Comment

Working...
                            X