Forum Participation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Participation

Is it my imagination or is the number of participants on forum declining?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Sure seems like it to me. When I check in I click on "New Posts". It is now unusual to get a page full (25) and was quite common. My frequency of visiting has not changed. I wonder if those behind the scenes can shed statistical light?
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Well, I'm visiting more times per day - so it might seem like it, but we are getting new folks all the time.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I think that we would need real statistics on this.

Every week, we get many new participants.
        With so many topics previously dealt with, many answers are already here for those that search for them.

Number of participants (Lou's question) and number of posts (Don's response) are two different things.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I find face book is the new norm
          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I can't speak for others, but I tend to be on less in the summer. I still check in briefly each day, but am outside more and at the computer less this time of year.
            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

you sure you didn't mean "are a number of participant on forum declining"? I can relate to that.....
              Jon Stalnaker
              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Well, I can relate to that also.
                Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                you sure you didn't mean "are a number of participant on forum declining"? I can relate to that.....
                Lou Van Anne
                62 Champ
                64 R2 GT Hawk
                79 Avanti II

Comment

I'm still here most every day, but I seem to have less to say over time. I spend more time just reading other posts.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Posts 3, 4 & 5 were all by people that joined this Forum Oct. 2004 (strange coincidence).
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Would be interesting to see a chart that shows usage - both forum participants and lurkers.

Comment

I stop in every day; sometimes twice a day. But I joined eleven years ago when there were only a couple hundred of us and it was not unusual to have half a dozen give and takes per day. Everybody always had something to add. There have been so many people join since then, who know so much more than I, that many topics that I would have previously responded to are now opportunities for me to learn from, not contribute to.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

True, the 'Studebaker Addicts' group on Facebook is very busy, but you also see a big drop in this forums posts during the International Meets and for about a week before and after. Zone Meets probably have an effect also. Surprises me more people don't seem to have their electronics with them to check forums, emails, etc.

Comment

I am here lurking and learning several times a day, but like Brad, do not have as much to contribute as I did 10 years ago as today more people are here with more knowledge than myself.
                            Frank van Doorn
                            Omaha, Ne.
                            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Over at the PCCA (Ford Pinto) site I frequent the forum use has dropped - significantly. Most loss is attributed to Facebook. The same for the email based Sunbeam Tiger forum I'm on.

Regarding questions being asked numerous times, I would not discourage it. When people are new they have no idea what has, or hasn't been discussed many times. Frankly I find doing a "search" overwhelmingly does NOT provide me with the answer(s) I seek. I've then spent hours getting nowhere. And, there are some on the site who have no problem giving the same answer(s) over again. They just want to be helpful. Lastly there can be new developments, new part numbers, product discontinuation, change of methods etc. That would not be know if all people did was search and base their decisions on posts that were years old. Asking the question - again - often brings out this new information.

I hear of concern that the Studebaker interest seems to be waning. And to an extent I can understand the concern. It is sad to hear that someone who stockpiled parts is now too old to deal with them and they often are sent to scrap. But the reality is Studebaker is an out of business auto manufacturer where the youngest person having any recollection of a "new" one is at least 53 years old, and likely older than that. Nothing goes on forever.

For what it is worth I was very impressed by the volume of cars, parts and participation when I first logged on six years ago. Don't anguish too much over what the Studebaker community should in fact be proud of.
                              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X