Front turn signal bulb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front turn signal bulb

Have 1953 champion c/k. Went to change front turn signal bulbs and found out they are 1157 bulbs ,which don't fit right, becaused the pins on side of the bulb is offset . The electric system is now 12 volts . Who done the conversion did not change the 6 volt bulb socket . Do they make a 12 volt dual filament bulbs with the pins on the side straight across from each other and if not what bulb socket will fit into turn signal housing ? Try auto part stores , had everything , but not what i need . Thanks.

Here is a source:

https://www.bulbamerica.com/collecti...ontact-bayonet

Their GE 94 BA-15D looks like a Candidate, but there must be more with different Candle Power.
    These are 13 Watt.

I am confused though, because they show the GE94 with BOTH staggered Pins and even Pins, which is it?
    But maybe they are just showing that it is NOT like the Standard 1157 12 Volt, it is a bit unclear.

Only 5 in stock? That is just Crazy for a "Bulb Warehouse", I'll bet the Studebaker Vendors have more than that! Something this hard to find, is not a Part that you buy ONE of... Dah !

After all, it IS a 12 Volt Bulb that perfectly FITS a 6 Volt Type Socket, for a nice tight electrically efficient contact, not an iffy contact homemade one.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-26-2016, 07:41 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Just clip off the offset pin. It will stay in the socket just fine. I have done this on my 40 street Rod and it works just fine.

Denny L

Comment

1176 bulbs are 12 volt and fit the socket with the pins straight across. I use them in my '54.
        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Just have to align the 1176 so the brighter filament is activated for the turn signal.
          And the dimmer filament is used for the parking light.
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Great resource:
            donsbulbs.com
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
              Great resource:donsbulbs.com
              Holly Molly, $9.25 EACH or $8.78 EACH at Don's IF you buy 20 or more GE 1176's!
              He may have everything, but he is about $7.00 Each TOO high!

Phillips, AC Delco, USA, GE, MAZDA, Tungsol ALL the same price.

I got a price of $175.60 for 20! ...NO WAY Jose!
              Last edited by StudeRich; 07-27-2016, 12:56 AM.
              StudeRich

Comment

Autozone , Carquest and Advanced Auto list the 1176, 5.99 for a two pack. I'm sure NAPA has them as well.
                Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Has anyone checked Rock Auto? For small bulbs, I find them cheaper than going down the street to Advance, even when I add in the shipping.
                  Rock Auto's shipping can be strange on things like this. I have found that I can usually buy two bulbs, with shipping, for less than one bulb with shipping (total, not per piece).
                  It usually takes two or three days for receipt of the bulbs.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I may be wrong here, but aren't 1156 bulbs straight across and 1157 offset both dual filament. 1156 are all over the place 2/$5.00.

Comment

If I remember right 1156 is a Single Contact bulb for back-up Lights.

Doesn't matter though, the 1176 is the correct one for the straight across Pin Sockets on Older than 1956 Cars with the correct Candle Power, just got 10 at the "Rock" for .53 Cents each & $7.99 FedX shipping, they "Say": 9 days to the Northwest USA, but FedX will beat that.

Thanks Gary, for reminding me to check one of my "other" Sources; RockAuto.

The Place I suggested back in Post #2 Bulbamerica, had excellent prices but when you try to Ship & Buy, they gotcha!
                      They wanted about the same as the $41.84 Bulbs Total to SHIP them!

I am beginning to think that most of these On-Line Click & Buy, so called Specialty items "Warehouses" are nothing but Ma & Pa or Overseas Website operations acting as middleman or Trippleman to another Warehouse or MORE between the Mfg. and the Retail Customer with LOADS of markups! I mean REALLY, $8.72 MORE than the going Store Price for ONE, Plus Shipping & Handling?
                      StudeRich

Comment

I see1176 for as low as 29 cents but are still a single element bulb. Not satisfactory for a combination park/turn signal use.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by 1954khardtop View Post
                          1176 bulbs are 12 volt and fit the socket with the pins straight across. I use them in my '54.
                          Thanks, work fine , just turn them around for bright for turn signals . Advance auto 2 pack for 6 dollars and some change .

Comment

Or you could fit these and have no worries the next time you need a bulb !!! Cheap enough to do all four !!
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/291714806503...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                            Geoff

Comment

Working...
                            X