What wheels will fit on '62 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What wheels will fit on '62 GT Hawk

Need to replace wheels and tires and don't know what wheels from different cars and what size (15'-16"-17") will fit. Believe the rims on car now are from older Mustang but are too wide and hard to steer on this non power steering car...which brings up another question, aftermarket steering wheel is too small and I want to replace with 15' steering wheel. Any suggestions as not able to locate Studebaker wheel, how about Jeep or older Ford? Later on I'll work at making it all stock but for now just want a driver.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1751396 These 15" MB Motoring wheels are too wide, came across Jeep Patriot wheels w/205/70/R16 tires...YES? NO?

Name:	Steering wheel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1751397Wheel looks nice but not so great for parking car.

Name:	Studebaker 005.jpg
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	1751398Hope to locate one of these down the road

Name:	Studebaker 62.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1751399Want to drive as I work on restoring so Thanks for any help getting started

That looks like a stock/original steering wheel to me.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Take a look at the "Show us your wheels" thread. Some folks posted the wheel and tire size. I know 15x6 ford wheels from a 90's crown vic will work and are fairly common. As for the tire, 205/75R15 or 215/75R15 will both work. The original wheels and tires were pretty skinny. You can find some 195/75R15's from some of the specialty tire vendors like diamond back.
      Wayne
      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic‚Äč

Comment

Your Car came with 4 1/2 Inch Wide X 15 Inch Wheels. Ford and Chrysler Products use the same 5 on 4 1/2" Bolt pattern, but what is important is the Backset and wheel width of these "Other" Brand wheels.
        My personal opinion is, do not go over 5 1/2 or 6 Inches width.
        Many 1976 to 1978 Chrysler Cordoba wheels are perfect, at 5 1/2 Inches.

Sometimes some of the hard steering is from the Gearbox, King Pins, worn suspension bushings, wrong Alignment etc. not all from the Tires.

Picture 2 is a car with a Black Interior and a Custom Wheel, 3 is a Stock Wheel in a Saddle Tan Interior Car, I am guessing the Black Interior is yours?
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks StudeRich for the information and yes the car with soon to be replaced black interior is mine, the yellow car with tan interior belongs to my friend and neighbor. Just picked up set of (4) 2015 Jeep Patriot wheels/tires 205/70/R 16" as new takeoffs for $100. Too hot outside today to see if they fit...if they don't not out that much, but according to chart I was sent should be good to go.
          Last edited by San Diego Ron; 07-25-2016, 03:24 PM. Reason: Believe I had restricted material posted here.

Comment

San Diego Ron: that site comes up as "error, 404 not found"
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

15" wheels, 6" wide from the following fords will fit.
              Ranger, 93-09
              Explorer, 93-94, 96-00
              Mountaineer, 99-01
              Mazda B2300 pickup, 96-2000
              With any ford wheel you will need the larger [13/16"] lugnuts.
              The stock Studebaker [3/4"] nuts will pull through the larger ford holes.
              The Dorman # for the right and left hand 13/16" nuts:
              611-121.1 right
              611-031.1 left
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

I used Ford 15" x 6 1/2" wheels from a Ford Crown Victoria 1983-1997, Lincoln Town Car 1984-1996, Mercury Grand Marquis 1980-1997. Mine came off a Crown Vic at a wrecker for $15 each. If I remember correctly the backspacing is around 4 1/2". I used 215-70-15 tires. They fit and look great, and clear everything with no problem.
                [IMG][/IMG]
                I don't know why it turns my pics upside down when I post them on this site. It doesn't on others.

The stock steering wheel you posted a pic of is different than mine. Perhaps they didn't all have it, or it may be broken off, but mine has a horn ring on the chrome horn bar.
                [IMG][/IMG]
                Last edited by bensherb; 07-25-2016, 12:28 PM. Reason: pictures upsidedown
                sigpic

Comment

I have 225/75 tires on wheels from a Grand Marquis on my 63 Hawk. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160603_144308.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	1707997

Comment

I have two GT style steering wheels in fair condition, like most used ones you will find these days. You can have them both for the price of the ride and any extra you want to throw in. PM me. They have the usual gaps between the raised areas but are very repairable. FWIW, I have 16X7 wheels with 245-60-16 Evo tires. They handle great but steer hard when stopped, even with power steering.

Comment

Yes 63 R2 Hawk, I would be interested in one of the steering wheels...once I figure out how to send a Personal Message.

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Ron View Post
                        Yes 63 R2 Hawk, I would be interested in one of the steering wheels...once I figure out how to send a Personal Message.
                        Easiest way-click on the poster's name-handle, get a dropdown box, click on "private message"-away you go.

Comment

Now that I was able to come up with some 15" 2009 Ford Ranger wheels that fit my Hawk, need to figure out a way to paint them to complement car....and what size tires to buy for them.

Name:	Ranger.JPG
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1708078 Finally something that fits, had bought Jeep 16" Wheels/Tires that looked good but tie rod ends rubbed, even with spacer.

Name:	Ranger wheel.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1708079Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger 2.JPG
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	1708080 Maybe something along this line?
                          Last edited by San Diego Ron; 07-31-2016, 11:38 AM. Reason: add wheel size

Comment

Steering wheel sent, you should be getting it soon! Thanks.

Comment

Now that I was able to come up with some 15" 2009 Ford Ranger wheels that fit my Hawk, need to figure out a way to paint them to complement car....and what size tires to buy for them.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]56857[/ATTACH] Finally something that fits, had bought Jeep 16" Wheels/Tires that looked good but tie rod ends rubbed, even with spacer.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]56858[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56859[/ATTACH] Maybe something along this line?

As I understand it... 215x78x15 will closely match the diameter of an old 710x15.

Comment

Working...
                              X