Stolen wind deflectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
    Curious about what the fraud prototype Packard looked like. Does anyone have an August 2002 TW and a scanner and can scan that photo and email it to me as an attachment?
    Here ya' go, Mike:

There were variations inside. Here's a purported "photograph" from the article. Note the caption, describing it as a running and driving car in South Bend at the time!

The drawing Paul did for The Packard Cormorant was so pathetically based on a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado that it was obvious...but he fooled them, too, as I said.

(As an aside, everyone, let's not get started again on this topic. It's been beat to death previously. Thanks.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

(Back to the OP......)

Did he/they ever make the reproductions of those accessory wind wings?
      I had asked to be on the short list to buy a pair, but never heard anything more about them...
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Here ya' go, Mike: Note the caption, describing it as a running and driving car in South Bend at the time!

BP
        Appears from the above pic. it had 4 wind deflectors/vents. How many were actually stolen and were they stolen in Glendale (as the OP would indicate) or in South Bend (ref. above pic.)? I recall a SDC member's pick-up truck with trailer attached being stolen while parked on Main Street in downtown South Bend during the 2002 SDC International Meet, but don't recall wind deflectors/vents disappearing in South Bend.

Comment

Originally posted by 56Golden View Post
          Appears from the above pic. it had 4 wind deflectors/vents. How many were actually stolen and were they stolen in Glendale (as the OP would indicate) or in South Bend (ref. above pic.)?
          It was the two (R&L side) on the front doors: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...in-Glendale-AZ

Craig

Comment

To answer Deepnhock's question, kind of. Around the time of the theft a friend and Studebaker collector in the Seattle, passed away. Among his cars were two solid, original 1936 Dictator sedans. Both were sold, at about the time of the theft, to a new member in California. I was told the purchaser was surprised and delighted by the two car's condition. The enthusiastic new member was surprised to find that one of the cars had a pair of the very rare W/W's. I was told that he made the offer to loan them for replication. I don't know the outcome was, I hope that something positive was worked out!

Comment

Jeez,

Was the tipoff the fact that in the background of that top photo there appear to be a whole lot of the same brands of late model cars built long after the 60's - either big Caddys or Lincolns maybe? It's pretty obvious it's the shop area of a car dealership. Well, if it got into the Cormorant it fooled a lot of folks who were a lot more proficient at Packards than Stude folks; so the TW guy needn't have felt that bad about it. S**t happens.

Studerich, I think Matt actually called them what they were originally called - wind deflectors. The small windows that we've become accustomed to calling "vent" windows here were an evolution of the wind deflectors that people used to buy and attach to the windshield posts of their cars in order to, yep, deflect the wind as they drove down the road. If you go back and examine the photographic evidence, and look at the size of those when they were first invented back in the thirties, you'll see that they were much larger in proportion to the rest of the windows and closer to the size of the accessory wind deflectors. In fact, Packard, when they first tried that in order to keep up with the Joneses, had actually put pivots into the center of their side windows. They learned very quickly that, though they had more surface area that did a better job deflecting the wind than the D-shaped windows others used, they were very inconvenient and clumsy and the side windows couldn't be rolled down.

Have you ever noticed that there are a lot of things in Britain and Australia that are still called what they were called when they were first invented. The Brits and the countries in their commonwealth seem to stick with traditional terms better than we do. Sometimes, we Americans don't have a whole lot of respect for language tradition. If we did, we wouldn't allow jargon and terms first thought up by marketing folks looking for a new angle to sell their products creep into our everyday lexicon.

Edit: Jeez, just noticed that when he photo-shopped it he left the gaps below and in front of the door that curve up over the front wheel well in place. What a sloppy forger!
              Last edited by hausdok; 07-24-2016, 10:44 AM.
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                Edit: Jeez, just noticed that when he photo-shopped it he left the gaps below and in front of the door that curve up over the front wheel well in place. What a sloppy forger!
                "Continental kit" spare tire covers?
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

If the "wind reflectors" you refer to are the triangular stainless things that clip on the vent windows, I have a set that you are welcome to.They were on my'53 when I got it and have been in a cabinet ever since.
                  Bob
                  Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Hmm,

Dave, you might be right. Maybe that's what he intended - there is a slight rounded hump at the top. Gotta think that the well for such a thing would have extended pretty deep into the area where one's legs are typically located, though.
                    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                    Kenmore, Washington
                    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                    '69 Pontiac Firebird
                    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Working...
                    X