No announcement yet.

Free rebuilt water pump to good home...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free rebuilt water pump to good home...

When I bought the Lark back in 2003, there was a box in the trunk that had an extra water pump in it. Pump that was on the engine started to leak earlier this summer so the mindset was to order another "extra" pump to ride around in the car's trunk - but it had to be installed on the engine today instead.

Got started with the process of getting the extra pump ready for installation. Glued on a new gasket and went to screw in the heater hose pipe and noticed that no matter how I held my tongue, the pipe was not going to screw into the housing - must larger than the housing.

This is the old trunk pump on the left and the pump removed from the car on the right - big difference in the size of the heater hose pipe. The brand new pump housing had the same size fitting as the old pump so it was installed instead.

Is the pump from the trunk (a rebuild) an earlier Champion water pump housing that was rebuilt with the longer shaft for the later six cylinders?

Also have a question about size of fins on impeller.

Old pump:

New pump:

Is there a reason for such a difference in the thickness of the fins on the newly acquired pump? It will not be pumping sand but it looks thick enough too...

The old extra pump is something I cannot use and cores are not wanted - so it is free to anyone who wants to pay for shipping...has a brand new gasket attached to it
    Last edited by 62champ; 07-24-2016, 10:58 AM.

The heater hose size was changed in 1959 from 5/8" Heater Hose and 3/8" NPT to 3/4" Hose & 1/2" NPT requiring a Larger Fitting.
    The sensible thing to do that our Studebaker Wholesaler did, is to re-manufacture all the 170 Engine Pumps with the Large Hole and it is a simple thing to install a Bushing between the Hose Fitting and Pump on pre-1959's and on '59 and up, it is an exact fit.

The Shaft length on Older Cars and Trucks is different.

UPDATE: Edited data in Maroon.
    Thanks Jerry.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-21-2016, 05:03 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The heater hose size was changed in 1959 from 5/8" Heater Hose and 3/8" NPT to 3/4" Hose & 1/2" NPT requiring a Larger Fitting.
      The sensible thing to do that our Studebaker Wholesaler did, is to re-manufacture all the 170 Engine Pumps with the Large Hole and it is a simple thing to install a Bushing between the Hose Fitting and Pump on pre-1959's and on '59 and up, it is an exact fit.

The Shaft length on older cars and Trucks is longer.
      '53 and earlier car engines, '58 and earlier truck engines - these are the "short shaft" Champion water pumps. The later pumps are the "long shaft" version.
      Regarding the heater pipe fitting - for the long shaft pumps rebuilders used to sell the 1267U - U for universal in that it had the 1/2" pipe thread but always included a threaded pipe bushing to reduce it to 3/8" pipe thread as needed.

Comment

Thanks Jerry, for the record, I did get the shaft lengths crossed up.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Thanks Jerry, for the record, I did get the shaft lengths crossed up.
          Not pickin' on ya, - just wanted to make the correction for people researching this in the future.

Comment

Free rebuilt six cylinder water pump (appears it will fit '54-'58 champion six cylinder motors with the 5/8" heater hose pipe fitting) - all you need to pay for shipping. It could use a coat of paint but other than that it looks good.

PM me if you are interested.

Comment

PM me if you still have it. Due to someone sending a few spam e mails with my name, I am not going to start any private communications. However, I will respond if you initiate it.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I coulda used it 6 months ago LOL.... ordered a new one myself for my 2R5

Comment

Working...
                X