Best 'Turning Wheels' Cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 'Turning Wheels' Cover?

Let's face it,....it would probably be impossible to agree on the BEST EVER photo used for the front cover of TURNING WHEELS Magazine, but over the years there have been some truly memorable ones!

One outstanding favorite of mine was the photo used on the cover of the March, 2012 issue.....It was a beautiful color shot taken in 1963 (1962?) of Sherwood Egbert and Andy Granatelli preparing to take a ride in a brand new 'Avanti Red' '63 Avanti at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway....two 'happy campers' indeed!.....Egbert sporting sunglasses and holding his characteristic cigar!

Does anyone else have a favorite TURNING WHEELS cover photo that comes to mind?....Comments welcome!

The one of a 1939 Studebaker President and a 1939 Coupe Express on the back October 1989 comes to mind only because I took the photos for the cover

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

Another favorite of mine was the 10/95 cover....This one featured a 3/4 rear view of a 'Parade Red' '58 Packard Hawk....I liked that shot so much I framed it!!

Comment

Originally posted by 56sghor
        I like the one from the September 1995 Turning Wheels showing a 1950 Commander Convertible owned by Franklin Goss. There was a lady standing in the car holding a bunch of balloons. The model (mechanical) was a rather rare one for Studebaker of a style they didn't produce a lot of. The photo was taken by Ozzie Sweet. The, Model (human) was Michelle Le Blanc. I always felt this photo showed Studebaker in an adventurous and youthful spirit. You can see it at: http://www.studebakervendors.com/tw-photos/index.htm (top left).

In 1998, a guy wrote to me asking for a photo of a 1950 Commander convertible. I didn't have one, but I remembered this photo. I contacted Linda Fox about getting a copy of the photo and instead, Fred K. Fox sent me a copy of the whole magazine. I forwarded it to the man who wanted the photo. He was so appreciative in his response. Made me feel good too! Great photo. Great memory.
        Yes, it was/is a nice car. Frank owned top notch 1950, 1951 and 1952 convertibles at that time, as well as other Studebakers.
        Last edited by studegary; 07-19-2016, 12:17 PM.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When I finally get my CE done and it gets put on the cover.....hopefully.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I like the one from the September 1995 Turning Wheels showing a 1950 Commander Convertible owned by Franklin Goss. There was a lady standing in the car holding a bunch of balloons. The model (mechanical) was a rather rare one for Studebaker of a style they didn't produce a lot of. The photo was taken by Ozzie Sweet. The, Model (human) was Michelle Le Blanc. I always felt this photo showed Studebaker in an adventurous and youthful spirit. You can see it at: http://www.studebakervendors.com/tw-photos/index.htm (top left).

In 1998, a guy wrote to me asking for a photo of a 1950 Commander convertible. I didn't have one, but I remembered this photo. I contacted Linda Fox about getting a copy of the photo and instead, Fred K. Fox sent me a copy of the whole magazine. I forwarded it to the man who wanted the photo. He was so appreciative in his response. Made me feel good too! Great photo. Great memory.
            I definitely remember that cover,...the car, and the MODEL.....What a BABE!!

Comment

Why does the 1950 Commander Convertible by Franklin Gross look just like the 1950 Champion Convertible by Ron Vanderboegh, in the photo to the right? I have seen a couple other 1950 Commander Convertibles and they look like the yellow one in the wedding photo of the Walkers about 18 photos down from Gross’s.

Comment

I know it's shameless self-promotion but I can't resist....mine from December 2013!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turning Wheels cover.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1707918
                David Daoust
                Stratham, NH
                '64 Daytona convertible

Comment

Originally posted by M15 Trucker View Post
                  Why does the 1950 Commander Convertible by Franklin Gross look just like the 1950 Champion Convertible by Ron Vanderboegh, in the photo to the right? I have seen a couple other 1950 Commander Convertibles and they look like the yellow one in the wedding photo of the Walkers about 18 photos down from Gross’s.

I think that you are on to something. I believe that both cars are Champions. I know that Frank's 1951 and 1952 convertibles were Commanders and I assumed that the 1950 was also. I do not know about the labeling, but the picture shows a Champion. By the way, Frank's surname was Goss.

EDIT: A comment about the Fox wedding picture, just before the one that you referenced - The Fox family purchased that 1950 Land Cruiser new (and had the headlight rims changed when new).
                  Last edited by studegary; 07-19-2016, 12:23 PM.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by David Daoust View Post
                    I know it's shameless self-promotion but I can't resist....mine from December 2013!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56531[/ATTACH]
                    Yes, that's truly a beautiful shot!....That's the ex-Granatelli car correct?

Comment

November '93 is one...

How can you go wrong when three of your Family's rides share it...?

Name:	Turning Wheels Nov 93 Back Cover - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1707935

True- there were several other Studes along with us, but hey- we're all there and havin' fun!!!
                      My '65 Cruiser is front and center, Mike's '61 Lark is third in the other line, Dad's '64 is the last car in my line.
                      Say-- speaking of 'fun'-- hours later Dad, my brother, and I would ALL be holding a trophy...
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        That's the ex-Granatelli car correct?
                        Yes. The car was found in Donald, Washington of all places!!!
                        Here's a pic from shortly after the auction ended on that magical day back in June of 2001~

Name:	auction day 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1707938

It's nose can be seen to the right of Dad's 'new' Broadmoor.

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                        SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC
                        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                          How can you go wrong when three of your Family's rides share it...?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56549[/ATTACH]

True- there were several other Studes along with us, but hey- we're all there and havin' fun!!!
                          My '65 Cruiser is front and center, Mike's '61 Lark is third in the other line, Dad's '64 is the last car in my line.
                          Say-- speaking of 'fun'-- hours later Dad, my brother, and I would ALL be holding a trophy...
                          Definitely a cool photo!........
                          Last edited by SN-60; 07-20-2016, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Another photo I admire very much was the one used on the February 2016 TW cover!...That was a right side (profile) view of a solid red '54 Commander hardtop, with white-wall tires and the optional 'spoke' wheelcovers.

I don't ever remember seeing a nicer picture of a stock '53-'54 C-K type!!
                            Last edited by SN-60; 07-23-2016, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Another great TW cover shot graced the September 2015 issue. In this one Ed Reynolds is shown driving his '53-'54 prototype convertible through the Studebaker Proving Grounds gate....with Larry Swanson as the security guard standing at the gate!

'photoshoped' and very well done at that!

Comment

Working...
                              X