Sears contest Avantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sears contest Avantis

Based on one on-line registry, a 1964 Avanti (R5159) was an prize for a Sears essay writing contest. Were there more Avanti's that were part of this contest?

I am trying to track down a lost Avanti.

I've seen photos from The Tacoma News Tribune of one given to a soldier from Ft. Lewis.

Comment

I think there were at least ten...and possibly more...most, if not all, painted 'Avanti Red'...R1....auto....p/s.....whitewalls.....black interior

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        I think there were at least ten...and possibly more...most, if not all, painted 'Avanti Red'...R1....auto....p/s.....whitewalls.....black interior
        There were one or more groups of Avantis made like that. Besides being the same color and equipment, they all came with Allstate tires. I do not believe that they were all contest cars. They were built as part of the tie-in with Sears/Allstate and the cross-country "trip" made by the two female drivers. I owned S/N 5176 that was a part of one of these groups.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Sears/Allstate/Avanti connection also discussed here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...tate%2B+avanti

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            There were one or more groups of Avantis made like that. Besides being the same color and equipment, they all came with Allstate tires. I do not believe that they were all contest cars. They were built as part of the tie-in with Sears/Allstate and the cross-country "trip" made by the two female drivers. I owned S/N 5176 that was a part of one of these groups.
            .........and I once owned R-5180, just a few red Avantis behind yours Gary!

Comment

My 64 R5014 came with Allstate tires.

Denny L

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
                My 64 R5014 came with Allstate tires.

Denny L

Interesting. What was the standard tire manufacturer for the Avanti? I thought it was Firestone. Did they change over to Sears later on?

Comment

Some were equipped with Sears tires due to a joint promotion. It was a limited thing from what I understand.

Avanti's could be equipped with Firestone tires and Dunlops were optional. There may have been Goodyears and US Royal tires used as well depending on availability and costs.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

My production order had Dunlops but was crossed out with Allstate written in.

Denny L
                    64 Avanti R5014

Comment

Many of the "higher performance" Avantis R2 Power Shifts, 4 Speeds and even some R1's were ordered with the slightly optional Firestone "500" Tires.
                      And of course the well known "Tire warning" sticker inside the glove box door as much as said you needed them for sustained high speed.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

What about Armstrong "Rhino" Tires?

Comment

Not used by Studebaker, they preferred Firestone, but a few U.S. Royals and very few Dunlops were used in the 1960's mostly later, of course the special 1964 promotion Allstates on only "some" Avantis.

They had to resort to using Goodyear only on Wagons with the 3rd. Seat option, because they made the Captive Air Goodyear with a inner spare, there was a "Basketball" type filler hole in the sidewall to fill the inner area with a needle.

The "Independents": Armstrong, Kelly Springfield and Cooper were reasonably priced good Tires and often used as aftermarket replacements in the 50's & 60's.
                          Armstrong made Sears Tires in some lines and years, I do not know about the 1964 Model Tire Studebaker chose, it could have been made by them.

I do not think BF Goodrich Tires were ever used either, unless their CEO ordered a Studebaker with them.

I think it is very possible that Studebaker Liked keeping a "Backup" Vendor available as a hedge against shortages, Strikes, Price Increases etc.
                          Of course I was not in Purchasing at Studebaker, but think about it, they used:

Yale and Hurd Locks.
                          Ross and Saginaw Steering Gears
                          Autolite and Delco Electrics
                          Budd and Kelsey Hayes Wheels
                          The Headlight bucket Assy's. came from Hall or Hobbs
                          Lenses came from Teaco, Guide and others
                          Ross and multiple other Chrome Trim & Moulding Mfg's.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 07-15-2016, 10:22 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It looks like Studebaker pretty much used the same brand for everything...that brand is named "Low Bid".
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              It looks like Studebaker pretty much used the same brand for everything...that brand is named "Low Bid".
                              Not necessarily, "Low Bid," but what crooked specifying engineer, or purchasing agent is accepting bribes, and "kickbacks," from vendors. As an industrial supply salesman, I was the victim of these immoral creeps. One specific instance was when I had quoted band saw blades for a major manufacturer. My company, sold the leading manufacturer of band saw blades. We also sold more of them than any other business in the world. Therefore, we had earned the lowest "cost" of any supplier in the business. So much so, that we could sell at a lower price than anyone else, and still make a profit.

However, when quoting the blades to the purchasing agent, I was constantly being told I was too high. According to company policy, the purchasing agent was required to keep three quotes on file to justify his purchases. Unknown to the purchasing agent, I had a friend working at the plant with access to the files. That person told me that the purchasing agent was throwing my quotes away, and keeping two other competitors higher quotes to justify buying from a supplier that was giving him free use of his beach house, and buying his lunch twice a week. My price on the band saw blades was at least twelve dollars a blade less than the guy he kept buying from.

This crook was finally caught. The purchasing agent, and that supplier was kicked out, but many have gotten away with such thievery. I have always been amazed at some of the lowbrow creeps that certain corporations and individuals allow to handle their money.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X